What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marshall To Lead Dragons At Nines

blacksafake

First Grade
Why not Nightingale ? No problem with Benji , but Nighty is longer serving player and a legend in his own right......
I can see where you are coming from Hazz but imo Benji is a good leader who i think thrives on the responsibility.I remember when he used to captain the tigers he looked so comfortable.

Dezziedc

Juniors
I'm heading to the Mackay game next weekend. It should be good to see how the forwards aim up.

The Cutters are taking this pretty seriously by all accounts so hopefully they will work the team that has been sent up here. I am not too concerned about a win or loss, I am just excited to see how some of these recruits perform. Especially the new pack. Will also be good to see Matt at fullback.

watatank

Coach
Mary addressed this in a video, IIRC it's

Mary, Hornby, Millward to Auckland

Young, Logan (NSW Cup coach) and Ben Haran (I think he works in recruitment or juniors) to Mackay

Dezziedc

Juniors
Why not Nightingale ? No problem with Benji , but Nighty is longer serving player and a legend in his own right......

To be honest, I wouldn't have a problem with Benji captaining the NRL team for the season. I don't think Creagh is the talker/leader we need on the field. Like the guy, but I think Benji will play a bigger role in directing the team than Ben will do. It will also leave Ben to concentrate on his game and focus on hitting them hard.

grouch

First Grade
I think Benji is the one who needs to be focusing on his game. Creagh is doing just fine

jenninga

First Grade
And that is as it should be. It will be up to Rein to show he has improved this year and Le'Strange and Garvey to play to a standard that demands they get picked ahead of Rein. Let's hope the competition brings out the best in all three players.

Most sensible 'Rein ' post for a long time.

TruSaint

Referee
Couldn't strip Captain blood of leadership now.
He hasn't and isn't our problem.
His style may be subdued, but his actions speak very loud for mine.

Dezziedc

Juniors
Agree. Stripping Creagh of his captaincy would do more harm than good, especially if they give it to Benji...

Both need to be focussing on their game - it's kind of a mute point. Everyone in the team needs to focus on their game. I just feel that Benji is a better leader than Creagh. It was just an observation, not suggesting that they should do it. As I said, I wouldn't have a problem if it did happen.

And why would it be especially problematic if Benji gets the captaincy? Because Ben has been there longer?

TruSaint

Referee
Both need to be focussing on their game - it's kind of a mute point. Everyone in the team needs to focus on their game. I just feel that Benji is a better leader than Creagh. It was just an observation, not suggesting that they should do it. As I said, I wouldn't have a problem if it did happen.

And why would it be especially problematic if Benji gets the captaincy? Because Ben has been there longer?

I think Benji could be a great leader Dez. He's mature, enthusiastic and a talker. Whilst longevity should not be the only prerequisite, it should count for something though. I also think Creagh is developing into a better leader as time passes.

bottle

Coach
I wouldn't like to see Creagh stripped of the captaincy.
Would be an insult for mine. His game lifted last year, so I don't see an issue there.
Let him see out his tenure with the (C) next to his name. He's earned it.

TruSaint

Referee
Would be an insult for mine. His game lifted last year, so I don't see an issue there.

This. Well put.

Dezziedc

Juniors
I think Benji could be a great leader Dez. He's mature, enthusiastic and a talker. Whilst longevity should not be the only prerequisite, it should count for something though. I also think Creagh is developing into a better leader as time passes.

Don't get me wrong, I like Creagh as a player and, from what I have seen in interviews etc, he seems like a nice guy. Longevity should count for something, but should definitely be second to leadership quality (afterall, you don't want to be accused of the 'boys club' mentality). Ben is doing an OK job and does have leadership qualities, but I think we could also benefit from a different leadership style at the moment.

On the field, although he does lead by example, he doesn't appear to do all that much talking. And given we have had a young team the last few years, I think a good talker and motivator on the field would make all the difference. How many times did you see the team congratulating each other or talking to each other during last season? I hardly saw that at all. I think the captain should have been promoting that sort of behavior on the field - just not sure Creagh is that type of leader though.

This year may be different with more experience being added, but we still need that constant talking, motivation and direction. Someone in the thick of things for most of the game. Will be interesting to see what difference the added experience makes to the team this year.

grouch

First Grade
Don't get me wrong, I like Creagh as a player and, from what I have seen in interviews etc, he seems like a nice guy. Longevity should count for something, but should definitely be second to leadership quality (afterall, you don't want to be accused of the 'boys club' mentality). Ben is doing an OK job and does have leadership qualities, but I think we could also benefit from a different leadership style at the moment.

On the field, although he does lead by example, he doesn't appear to do all that much talking. And given we have had a young team the last few years, I think a good talker and motivator on the field would make all the difference. How many times did you see the team congratulating each other or talking to each other during last season? I hardly saw that at all. I think the captain should have been promoting that sort of behavior on the field - just not sure Creagh is that type of leader though.

This year may be different with more experience being added, but we still need that constant talking, motivation and direction. Someone in the thick of things for most of the game. Will be interesting to see what difference the added experience makes to the team this year.
Probably because there wasn't much that warranted congratulation. Being a leader is more than simply talking. Besides, the lack of a (c) doesn't prevent the halves from opening their mouths.

Benji wasn't even captain of the Tigers btw. They chose Farah

2010Dragons

Bench
The crowd in row A B C D E are going to be very excited to catch the ball from another wayward pass by our Benji Ass over the hill

Dezziedc

Juniors

As I said bottle, no qualms with him remaining as captain. And there is no way they would take the role off of him. I just think the team could benefit from having a different style of leadership on the field.

BennyV

Referee

Pretty much, yeah...stripping a club legend of the captaincy and giving it to a guy who literally just walked into the clu, a guy who was intensely rumoured to split the locker room at his previois club, would have huge destabilising effects both internally and externally. And just because Benji talks? He is meant to, he's a halfback!

Creagh was a brilliant captain last year. Caotain doesnt need to run his mouth all game, thats for the halves to do anyway, they are the ones running the team structure. Ben was a complete professional, lead from the front (seriously, the difference when he left the field was shocking) and is head and shoulders above anyone else at the club in terms of being a role model. Really shouldnt be a discussion!

Dezziedc

Juniors
a guy who was intensely rumoured to split the locker room at his previois club

Well based on events at the end of last year, we now know where all of the destabilization at the Tigers came from.

And just because Benji talks? He is meant to, he's a halfback!

It's not just because he talks. There are obviously many components that make up a good leader, and I think Benji has alot of them. I've read many comments where people believe he is a born leader and so many of the interviews with players say they are enjoying learning from him and training with him. He obviously already has the respect of many of his team mates in the short time he has been there. And the fact they've named him captain for the 9s shows some faith in his leadership ability and standing within the team already.

Let me word this another way as it seems to have gotten everybody into a dither. I don't mind if Ben stays as captain. In fact, I don't think they would consider removing him from the position based on what people have already stated here. I am just saying that I personally wouldn't mind if they named Benji as captain at some stage either. I wouldn't be surprised if he was named captain this year in games where Ben is unable to play.

Latest posts