What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Martial Arts

Cliffhanger

Coach
I'm taking up BJJ soon, will probably learn at Gracie Oceania, as it's close to my climbing gym so I can just go climbing afterwards.

jc155776

Coach
Well I attended the lessons last week and it was very good.

As to the difference, it seems that the Traditional class is defensive techniques dealing with hand and weapon strikes, whilst the Brazilian class is more grappling focused with moves on the ground. The Instructor told me he's getting more young blokes to the second class as they all want to be MMA fighters. But for my needs the defensive techniques are perfect. It was a well structured class from a newcomers perspective.

Hope this brief explanation helps. There may be more learned people on the forum know more.

Sounds like Japanese Jiu Jitsu.

I used to do Zen Chi Ryu for 5 years. Gave it up though. Personally, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I got taught everything I wanted to know and I don't feel like I have to go back to it. My friend introduced me to it and I thought it was pretty cool. Once I got up to orange belt, I was runner-up in Under 16's sparring at the Zen Chi Ryu Australian Titles. I was only 14 years old at the time. Other than that, I wouldn't mind trying out a different martial art this year. Just busy with school.

http://www.zenchiryu.com/. That's just in case nobody knew what it was.

Micistm

Bench
In my earlier days I went through various types, mainly Kung Fu.
Inspired by my young nephew who is going very well at Jiu Jitsu, I decided to start retraining again.
I've opted for a softer, internal option, Tai Chi. My reasons are because I'm older now and haven't done it for years, I wanted something that would be less body impact...and my main desire was fitness, focus, and positivity rather than a specific self defence. And something that age would not be a hindrance, so I can keep it up for the rest of my life.
I've worked out seriously since the start of this year to get fit again and been training in Tai Chi and the Qigong energies for a couple of months. And I am loving it. It has truely helped me mentally and physically even in this short time.

Last edited:

Micistm

Bench
I also tried Aikido just before starting tai chi. That too was brillant and very enjoyable. I was torn between the two, Aikido just have the nicest, helpful most respectful people to newcomers...anyone thinking of checking it out I highly recommend going along and having a go.

Pugzley

Yellow belt judo and white belt bjj.

Maybe I should make a return.

Funniest injury happened to me after a bjj lesson. Sprained my ankle going down the stairs of the dojo AFTER completing the class. Couldn't make a job interview the day after.

abpanther

Staff member
Hey peeps,

This is probably the best thread to post this.

So I've been doing weights training and a little cardio for the past 15 months and I've been enjoying it. I think I've made some good strength gains and feeling firmer and fitter.

However I've recently been thinking about trying something different, in particular wanting to look at something a little bit more up tempo. Was considering maybe some cross-fit stuff but I'm now considering starting up some sort of martial arts, mainly for fitness and fun, but also happy to get the benefit of some self defense.

I've read through this thread and there's some good info in it, just wanted to get opinions on what sort of martial arts would be best for me?

I've never done any sort of martial arts before so I'm a complete noob, just looking for something fitness wise that will help me stay lean, firm and in good shape

Thanks in advance

shaggs

Coach
Try double dragon at Sutherland for mma. They do all styles plus freestyle dragon fist which is the all round class they run.

Or for bjj there is trekko's gym at taken point. It's call TP gym I think.

There is also strongarm for boxing. But I haven't trained there for over a year and not really sure who is the trainer there now.

abpanther

Staff member
Try double dragon at Sutherland for mma. They do all styles plus freestyle dragon fist which is the all round class they run.

Or for bjj there is trekko's gym at taken point. It's call TP gym I think.

There is also strongarm for boxing. But I haven't trained there for over a year and not really sure who is the trainer there now.

Thanks for the info man. Given that I'm pretty short on time, Double Dragon at Sutherland sounds like the best bet for me.

I've had a look at all the styles they run - http://www.doubledragon.com.au/styles.html

Trying to work out which is best for me, have you trained there before and if so which style would you recommend for a noob looking to learn some fighting techniques but mostly looking to get fit and lean?

Looking at it myself, seems that the Dragon Fist Freestyle or Boxing Skills & Fitness would be best, they also run some morning boot camps too.

Might go down and have a chat with them and see what they recommend

aqua_duck

Coach
Yeah ive been told that

Why do you think that would be best?

Most martial arts a very limited and not practical in a real world situation, MMA is the sport of fighting and trains you for stand up fighting, wrestling/grappling and ground fighting, hopefully you'll never have to use those skills on the streets but if you're going to learn how to defend yourself you might as well learn how to defend yourself properly, I mean we go somewhere that just teaches karate for example when you can go to a MMA gym and do classes in BJJ, Muay Thai, wrestling and strength and conditioning. Lastly because of how MMA as a sport is structured they emphasise conditioning and cardio a lot more than the traditional martial arts so you're getting a workout and a lesson at the same time

abpanther

Staff member
Most martial arts a very limited and not practical in a real world situation, MMA is the sport of fighting and trains you for stand up fighting, wrestling/grappling and ground fighting, hopefully you'll never have to use those skills on the streets but if you're going to learn how to defend yourself you might as well learn how to defend yourself properly, I mean we go somewhere that just teaches karate for example when you can go to a MMA gym and do classes in BJJ, Muay Thai, wrestling and strength and conditioning. Lastly because of how MMA as a sport is structured they emphasise conditioning and cardio a lot more than the traditional martial arts so you're getting a workout and a lesson at the same time

Awesome, thanks for that, sounds like what I'm looking for

Any places in particular that you recommend?

abpanther

Staff member
The other option I have locally is this place at Kirawee - http://www.teamcfs.com.au/

Might visit both of them and see what they offer, keen to get some sort of high energy MMA training rather than the slower grappling stuff

Collateral

Coach
IMO grappling, especially high level/high speed...is much more challenging, tiring and high energy than any other sort of combat training Ive done.

abpanther

Staff member
You've obviously never done any serious grappling then.

100% correct

Sorry if I've offended anyone and clearly I'm pretty ignorant with this stuff

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my goal is to get leaner, harder and fitter. Learning how to fight is not a primary goal for me, but obviously a nice benefit.

I'm looking for the style and workout that will best help me achieve this goal, that's why I'm looking for feedback

Latest posts