What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary better than Price

LatK7

First Grade
I didn't mind Mary's press conference. At this point in the season there's not much point in grilling them. He's right in that we have improved on previous seasons and we are in the finals. Now we're expected to get flogged. He's given the guys a pat on the back to relieve the pressure. Fair enough. Now, if we hear the same thing after ordinary performances next year then have a problem.

KiamaSaint

Coach
I didn't mind Mary's press conference. At this point in the season there's not much point in grilling them. He's right in that we have improved on previous seasons and we are in the finals. Now we're expected to get flogged. He's given the guys a pat on the back to relieve the pressure. Fair enough. Now, if we hear the same thing after ordinary performances next year then have a problem.

Yeah, I had mixed feelings about the press conference. Celebrating today and tomorrow made it feel like our grand final. I really hope it was a masterstroke.

The performance wasn't up to scratch but there are some things that need to be considered. The 80 mins was bookended by two intercept tries, hopefully we won't see a repeat of that. The Woods try I can live with as it came on the back of some ridiculous penalties. The Tedesco try made us look predestian, but someone in JA rightly pointed out our left edge was Creagh, Hutchinson Marketo and Pete M. That was never going to stand up. Hopefully Widdop, JT and Nabuli are back next week.

The real concern was Pat Richards two tries. Need to fix our right hand defence or we will be carved up by the Morris boys in the semis.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Yeah, I had mixed feelings about the press conference. Celebrating today and tomorrow made it feel like our grand final. I really hope it was a masterstroke.

The performance wasn't up to scratch but there are some things that need to be considered. The 80 mins was bookended by two intercept tries, hopefully we won't see a repeat of that. The Woods try I can live with as it came on the back of some ridiculous penalties. The Tedesco try made us look predestian, but someone in JA rightly pointed out our left edge was Creagh, Hutchinson Marketo and Pete M. That was never going to stand up. Hopefully Widdop, JT and Nabuli are back next week.

The real concern was Pat Richards two tries. Need to fix our right hand defence or we will be carved up by the Morris boys in the semis.

+1. Curtis Rona will be having a few cruisy jogs to the try-line if we don't fix up our defence out wide. Nightingale really out of form at the moment, it's bloody hard to watch

Dorsai

Juniors
Leave Creagh on the bench and forget he is there. That will do wonders for the defence and attack.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
13 of Saints 24 games were against top 8 sides. So bar the Cowboys they have played everyone twice. Only Roosters played 13 games against the top 8 sides and won 7 as opposed to the Dragons 4. 3 more wins with one of the best rosters in the comp. Bulldogs have a great roster and won 4 games as well but only played 11 games against top 8 sides.

In defense Saints conceded 17 pts against the top 8 sides. Only Roosters, Bronco's and Storm have a better defensive record.

On top of a tough draw, a much thinner squad than the other top 8 sides and a bad injury toll I think it is not a mediocre effort at all.

V

Vasilevsky

Leave Creagh on the bench and forget he is there. That will do wonders for the defence and attack.

It's tough to see Nightingale and Creagh struggle so much as they have this year. Those 2 carried the team through the dark days of supercoach Price.

The reduced interchange may help Creagh next year and it may also help Nightingale once again become an interchange utility player. Otherwise I can't see either of them retaining positions in next year's team based on their form this year.

grouch

First Grade
13 of Saints 24 games were against top 8 sides. So bar the Cowboys they have played everyone twice. Only Roosters played 13 games against the top 8 sides and won 7 as opposed to the Dragons 4. 3 more wins with one of the best rosters in the comp. Bulldogs have a great roster and won 4 games as well but only played 11 games against top 8 sides.

In defense Saints conceded 17 pts against the top 8 sides. Only Roosters, Bronco's and Storm have a better defensive record.

On top of a tough draw, a much thinner squad than the other top 8 sides and a bad injury toll I think it is not a mediocre effort at all.

Confucius says if you need to go to these lengths to prove you haven't had a mediocre season, then you've had a mediocre season.

V

Vasilevsky

Confucius says if you need to go to these lengths to prove you haven't had a mediocre season, then you've had a mediocre season.

Good one homie:?. And where did you expect the Dragons to finish at the start of the season?

The Nick

Bench

And yet look at the lengths you and your fellow wristslitters go to to paint Mary as a failure....

"Yeah we're in the finals and yeah we've won more games than we did last year but but but....".

Walpole

Juniors

Excellent post. Nice to see some facts about the season.

Another fact is that our points differential is 6th best, ahead of both the Dogs and Bunnies. Obviously the winner will probably come from the top 4 teams but bloody hell, we must have the most negative "supporters" in the comp. After three years of misery, surely a 12-12 record with the hardest draw, 8th place, wins over the Broncos, Dogs and Roosters is at least a "glass is half full" scenario.

Imagine if the Dragons play "badly" but manage a last ditch win over the Bulldogs thanks to a lucky refs call (we must be owed one!). How will some of you cope?

images

he's back well back

Last edited:

62baby

Juniors
[QUOTE Excellent post. Nice to see some facts about the season. QUOTE]

I have no doubt we have the talent to beat the berries (showing my age but hey, that's what they are) but will we have the game plan, will we stick to it, and will we turn up? I've followed these blokes since I can remember and really that's been the 'fun' part. On any day we are capable of anything but I have learnt to keep my wallet in my pocket.

Another fact is that our points differential is 6th best, ahead of both the Dogs and Bunnies. Obviously the winner will probably come from the top 4 teams but bloody hell, we must have the most negative "supporters" in the comp. After three years of misery, surely a 12-12 record with the hardest draw, 8th place, wins over the Broncos, Dogs and Roosters is at least a "glass is half full" scenario.

Imagine if the Dragons play "badly" but manage a last ditch win over the Bulldogs thanks to a lucky refs call (we must be owed one!). How will some of you cope?

I would say " justice has not only been done but seen to be done"

Lets hope Mary can get the guys fired up for a supreme effort.

Nothing would be sweeter than taking out the Bulldogs, Melbourne and Brisbane in consecutive games

Dorsai

Juniors
It's tough to see Nightingale and Creagh struggle so much as they have this year. Those 2 carried the team through the dark days of supercoach Price.

The reduced interchange may help Creagh next year and it may also help Nightingale once again become an interchange utility player. Otherwise I can't see either of them retaining positions in next year's team based on their form this year.

Nightingale has been rushed back too many times from injury to really recover. He has been pretty bad the last couple of appearances but I believe that is because He is the player they need on the wing since Morris was released.

Creagh however does have the odd reasonable game. I know others will shriek at that saying he is a great player etc but I am sorry, I do not see his worth in the side any more. As for next year, he really needs a tap on the shoulder. That is good money we could spend on a better fit for the pack.

This should be his last year and I think he knows it. The scramble to take up the option seems to be desperate not smart. I bet the club also regrets giving him that option as well.

He has been a one dimensional player which every team can read for at least the last year and a half. His incessant bouncing whilst on the ground being tackled whilst he pleads with the ref and constant complaints for things only he sees has grown thin. If he put as much effort in to playing as he does whining, he would have another year in him.

He was a good player a few years ago. Was is the word though.

Dorsai

Juniors

I don't believe its about negative supporters. Facts can say a lot of things. The old adage is "Lies, Damn lies, and then there's statistics"

We met a lot of those sides early in the comp whilst on a roll and it was great to see. They played cohesively as a team and defended well.

When everyone else caught up to our style of play we were ill disciplined, lacking attack, and our defence got sloppy. Players did not seem to know what they were doing.

"facts" or "statistics" can say lots of things when measured for an outcome.

I don't believe however supporters here are negative. They just expect the team to be consistent, well drilled and coherent. Something we have not been for a number of years. We had moments, but the wheels come off and nothing changes week in week out.

I for one am not negative but I will state my case and expect my team to be more than mediocre. I expect them to be great or at least go down trying. Unfortunately mediocre is all we have received for a long time now. I just think our supporters have woken to that issue and are not prepared to accept what the club is dishing out each week.

As supporters we have a right to voice our opinion, like every supporter from every club. Dragons supporters are hard on their sides because they expect more out of the team. We have heritage. We have tradition. We expect more than mediocrity which is what we are being asked to accept.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
"I don't believe however supporters here are negative".

:lol:
Thanks for the lolz and your opinions. I don't agree with them but you are entitled to them. Thanks anyway.

winnie the pooh

Juniors
Posted this elsewhere so yeah anyway.

Direct from the urban dictionary.

"Straight Shooter
Defecation which requires minimal effort, goes straight down the pipe, and requires little to no clean up.
You know it's gonna be a good day when you sat on the toilette and had a straight shooter come out."

Sounds about right.

grouch

First Grade
Posted this elsewhere so yeah anyway.

Direct from the urban dictionary.

"Straight Shooter
Defecation which requires minimal effort, goes straight down the pipe, and requires little to no clean up.
You know it's gonna be a good day when you sat on the toilette and had a straight shooter come out."

Sounds about right.

?I am not going to comment on something that I haven?t officially finished,? McGregor said.

?I am not going to go down that road.

?I have said it originally and you know how straight a shooter I am.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ut-of-nrl-talent/story-fni3fbgz-1227054474405

Mr Red

First Grade
"I don't believe however supporters here are negative".

:lol:
Thanks for the lolz and your opinions. I don't agree with them but you are entitled to them. Thanks anyway.

the fact you chose to focus on a single line in a very positive and well thought out post and reply with a negative remark says a lot about yourself, and your own negativity..
i thought the post from Dorsai had a lot of merit.