What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary contract extension talks start

grouch

First Grade
Closest competition in history. 4 clubs missed the top 4 on for and against, 4 clubs missed minor premiership by a single game. Two of those clubs (the two ABOVE us) sacked their coaches!!!!
Just to add to this, the two coaches sacked (Griffin and Bennett) had both been at their respective clubs for a shorter period than McGregor has with us (Griffin since 2016, Bennett 2015), and both made the finals every single year of that tenure!

blacksafake

First Grade
Of the current coaching set up L plate I believe would be 3rd on the list behind Bellamy & Robinson as far as longevity at the same club is concerned. Results get them extensions which is how it should be. Premiership winning coaches have been shown the door in recent years after a season or two of disappointment, not our mob who it seems are more than happy to be a middle of the road club. Imagine if we did win a comp under him he'd be employed forever.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
There's legs to this...they have been talking since last year...unless something unforeseen happens , Mary will get a 3 year extension.

0wLZYUeujonXrzuMTpi2zh-q1ICZ-wvRRN-lsb1iWY7JOFWSA9t-Z8jFZvMrDp99vaZcDswIl2l-YHNTnH_m1n-zJTpyUr_jHJjCNw=w245-h200-nc

possm

Coach
So you don't still think McGregor has already been told that he won't be re signed and is only playing for a coaching gig at another club next year?
Welcome back to earth Possm.
Here is another fact for you so you don't get too disappointed when it happens.
Aitken and Lafai will be the starting centres.

Crush, you seem to delight in the thought of SGI not being the very best they can. To me you seem to be on the opposite side to everything that could positively lift the Dragons.

Why would you delight in SGI being stuck with a sub-standard coach?
Why would you champion the selection of sub-standard players?

I hope you're wrong. There are many possible reasons for chat about Mary's extension going public right now:

• The old boys have leaked this in the hope of Mary being appointed before other options are made available for consideration.
  • Mary's manager is hoping for an extension because this would mean more dollars in his pocket. Surely no other club would sign Mary.
  • Our new CEO has been accepted as a life member of the old boys club.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Widdop keeps his shoulder in its socket and we probably win the comp in 2018.
Just ignore that one though. Put near 50 on Brisbane at home and finish 2 points from a minor premiership....yeah coach has to go. Oh dear
With most other options for coach our chances increase tremendously.

SBD82

Coach
I have never met a supporter from St George that has endorsed Mary as coach. The only supporters I have met are from the Illawarra side (I'm not saying all, I'm saying the ones who think Mary is doing a great job have all been from that side of the joint venture).
Ah. Ok. My apologies. Thought you were tarring us all with the same brush.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Un effin believable :flushed:
Why would they. It’s not as if other clubs are knocking on his door.
If this club was professional he would have been gone by now, let alone hired in the first place. Bellamy & Robinson have had success which is why they get extensions but our mob rewards mediocrity.

No, if the club was run professionally, McGregor wouldn’t have been appointed at all.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
^ just imagine if Widdop stayed fit AND we had another coach in charge..

We’d have won both the NRL and AFL..

You forget to mention the English SL and PL, Melbourne Cup, Augusta Masters, America's Cup, Bathurst 1000, Gold Logie, Winter & Summer Olympics, Sydney 2 Hobart Great Race...........

GC Dragon

Juniors
The fact is Mary has been in charge for 5 years and we have won one finals game under him . I don't think any other NRL club would accept that lack of success .
The Knights were at rock bottom when Nathan Brown took over and even he has said if they don't play finals this year he could be out of a job .
There should be absolutely no contract extension talks until the end of the season . Mary isn't and never will be in high demand and you never know who could become available in that time .

RufusRex

Post Whore
You left out Leiluas defending when Souths scored last, if you're going to look at other variables.
Fact is you cannot constantly excuse Mary from not dealing with the situation occurring at hand adequately...did he instruct Hunt to attempt that awful field goal kick with too much time left?
Was there an instruction when Hunt passed to a decoy?
Was there an actual plan at all in place?
Did he look like he planned anything when we whacked Brisbane? Or was he chuckling in the box due to pure dumb luck?
I thought you were an educated fan...why the defensiveness?

Souths only scored the one try .. leilua was called out as offside - he backpedaled and that opened the gap. In hindsight should have conceded the penalty but the ref was in his ear.

The big issue with Leilua is the same as always - no idea how to actually use him in attack. He had the one possession. He is a bloke that could bust open a game with ball and support but he has never been utilised to his potential and that is all on game plan.

Hunt at 7, Mann at 12, Field at 6 is nightmare kind of stuff .. probably never occurred and will never happen again - but that speaks volumes about how Field has been developed over 2 years by Mary. Throw an effective stranger into the death of a do or die game and expect combinations to work. Yeah right. Poor bench/team selection management over 26 rounds coming back to bite us.

Injuries hurt us but only because the team was ill prepared and ill equipped to deal with them. Bench management and player rotation into the 17 week in week out gets a squad ready. Mary doesnt deal with squad - he deals with 17 and only when one of those 17 is out does he consider the future and only the very immediate one.

WepnutV

Juniors
The fact is Mary has been in charge for 5 years and we have won one finals game under him . I don't think any other NRL club would accept that lack of success .
The Knights were at rock bottom when Nathan Brown took over and even he has said if they don't play finals this year he could be out of a job .
There should be absolutely no contract extension talks until the end of the season . Mary isn't and never will be in high demand and you never know who could become available in that time .
1938 was our last wooden spoon.. so in that respect when mary took over we were at rock bottom also..

Latest posts