What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary Replacement Emerges

Sigurd

Juniors
http://www.nospam47.com/au/league/l...cement-nrl/13larxvjz3bzr1roin1ag65bad/slide/3

Demetriou will take over and we won't get Garth Brennan.

Demetriou is popular and held in high regard at the club.

He may be and probably is a good coach but surely they won't go with another rookie. No way they can be that incompetent. Hire Brian Smith for 2 or 3 years and let Demetriou serve a longer apprenticeship. I know Brian Smith is a controversial coach and not well liked by a lot of people but he has a near unmatched or unmatched record of turning around struggling clubs before somehow pissing everybody off.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
He may be and probably is a good coach but surely they won't go with another rookie. No way they can be that incompetent. Hire Brian Smith for 2 or 3 years and let Demetriou serve a longer apprenticeship. I know Brian Smith is a controversial coach and not well liked by a lot of people but he has a near unmatched or unmatched record of turning around struggling clubs before somehow pissing everybody off.

Only one problem there. The smell of Newtown is much stronger than it was when he left the last time.

grouch

First Grade
Anyway, McGregor publicly blamed him for our attacking failures in a presser earlier this year. Due to the good results he's had and the positive feedback from the NSW Cup players, if McGregor stays I reckon Demetrious is gonski

The Doc

Juniors
Its not what will please everyone, but imo its a step in the right direction.
Compare JDs time with the cutters vs Marys time with the cutters?
Compare attacking structures etc etc, JD wins hands down.
Lets not forget not too long ago Brad Arthur and Flannigan were newbies also....
I think JD at the moment, is the way to go. He has good knowledge of the cutters players, and some 20s players that stepped up in the cutters.
He CAN coach attack, with our financial situation, and our poor record with mary in charge, its definetly a step in the right direction.

blacksafake

First Grade
Would prefer a coach with NRL experience but if it means getting rid of Mary then JD it is.His record thus far in the lower grades is ok.

Dannyboy80

Juniors
If I remember that was pretty much the same way Trent Robinson got the roosters head coach job, working there as an assistant and was held in such high regard by the players they approached management. Mary was an average cutters coach before the head coach position came up. JD is getting his players playing to their potential and playing an attractive brand of football, if we are unable to secure cleary, then this guy is my next choice

Mr Red

First Grade
If I remember that was pretty much the same way Trent Robinson got the roosters head coach job, working there as an assistant and was held in such high regard by the players they approached management. Mary was an average cutters coach before the head coach position came up. JD is getting his players playing to their potential and playing an attractive brand of football, if we are unable to secure cleary, then this guy is my next choice
Robinson had a few seasons in the super league coaching Catalans before coming back to the coaching ranks in Australia .

Like most smart rookie coaches he went to uk to get some experience and serve an apprenticeship ...Maguire did the same.
Mary should take note.,,

TomRedVRiver

Bench
We need a coach that will bring the best out of the players. Yes, a good attacking coach would be great, but look at Bennett... The attacking structures he had in place during his years at The Dragons and even the clubs he's been at since aren't all THAT complex, but the players are doing their job well and getting the little effort areas right because they're playing for the coach, they're trying to impress him and give him 100% each week. Tries mostly come from pressure and defence, getting under the oppositions skin and wearing them down. That is what we were so good at in 2010.
THAT'S the sort of coach we need. A mentor, someone who can turn an average player into a superstar like Bellamy, Bennett, Flanagan and Arthur.
Usually these sorts of coaches have their own staff who are effective in their own right. Attacking coaches, conditioning staff etc

deansykes

Juniors
I'd love to see JD get a shot. Look at the way the cutters have been playing, how the players have developed and the experience he gained under Green... he has been around clubs that have played finals football and it would be a massive step in the right direction

Mr Red

First Grade
I think many here have had enough of rookies, No too JD!
Brian Smith, Tony Smith, Ivan Cleary, Des Hasler for me please.

To be honest at least JD may be a rookie, but he's gained most of his experience external to the dragons system in some very successful clubs working with some of the best players in the game.
I believe that the problem we have isn't so much a rookie coach, but the fact our rookie coaches...brown, price, Mary, (Hornby, young to a lesser extent ) are all rookie coaches from INTERNAL to the dragons system..
If we can't get an established experienced coach at least get a rookie that has experience from outside the dragons system is a good start...
Mary was a flop in every role he's had so to think he would blossom as an assistant under Price was ridiculous.

hewi

Bench
First things first, if it means Mary goes then that's a plus.
Secondly, Rein and Marshall have gone that's a plus.
Thirdly, if he is only given a one year contract performance based with an option at the clubs discretion , that's a plus.
Fourthly, if the players want him and not Mary, that's a plus.
All in all IMO bring it on asap.

Old Timer

Coach
This is all quite simple really.
Mary has to go for the well being of the club.
So the question of acquiring a well credentialed coach is also quite simple and any of the following or all of them will determine it.
1. Money being paid to take the gig on.
2. Roster improvement.
3. We are such a basket case they want some one to clean it all out before they come over.
If a well credentialed coach doesn't want to come then you have only 1 choice and that is JD.

Latest posts