What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary Replacement Emerges

thebigredv

First Grade
How about we offer wayne Bennett something he couldn't refuse. Surely we could rustle a couple of hundred dollars.

monsterkev

Juniors
im happy for jd to be coach next year
contract 1 season and see how he goes if he goes ok offer a better contract i think he will be much better than mary and no worse than cleary
i dont know why there are so many saying no when during the season everyone was wanting him to replace mary
make up your minds people

rasaint

Juniors
It is being reported that Cleary is in talks. Just saying that in 4 years with Panthers Ivan Cleary has a 47% winning record. In 2 and a half years at Dragons Paul McGregor has a 47% winning record. Unless Ivan brings his very talented son and solves our half back issue then it's all a bit academic.

This Demitreou guy seems worth a punt if Mary is going.

Dragons 09

Juniors
contract 1 season and see how he goes if he goes ok offer a better contract i think he will be much better than mary and no worse than cleary
i dont know why there are so many saying no when during the season everyone was wanting him to replace mary

Problem is, how do you benchmark if he "goes ok"?

JD would be mad to accept the challenge without us signing a solid 7 and 9. If we don't sign anyone and go into next season with what we already have in these positions, scraping into the 8 will be seen as "going ok". Is that going to be good enough for everyone? For me personally, i want more than that.

Not having a go at you, just can't see how giving JD one year is going to do our recruitment potential or JD's career growth any good whatsoever.

There's only one right thing to do. Get the best proven head coach available, leave JD exactly where he is (Cutters Coach and assistant to head coach) and show Mary the door immediately and permanently. The head coach then decides for himself what the future holds for Young, Hornby and all the other hangers on. If he wants them gone, then so be it and thanks for the memories, No more off the cuff short term plans, i'm f**kcen over it, Fix the problem and fix it properly.

grouch

First Grade
It is being reported that Cleary is in talks. Just saying that in 4 years with Panthers Ivan Cleary has a 47% winning record. In 2 and a half years at Dragons Paul McGregor has a 47% winning record. Unless Ivan brings his very talented son and solves our half back issue then it's all a bit academic.
"Just saying" that using winning percentages in isolation to assess the merits of a coach is extraordinarily stupid

BennyV

Referee
The call for JD to take the reigns was purely for the remainder of the year. Any more would be madness while there is a better coaching alternative out there.
Compare us to the Dogs or the Knights. When the Dogs coach was sacked in 2011, Jim Dymock stepped in. Club legend, long time assistant, and achieved a decent turnaround in results in the short time he was in charge. However at seasons end, they didn't offer him a 3 year contract - instead, they sounded out and got the best coach available and it paid dividends immediately.
Knights also - when Stone was sacked they brought in Buderus. No huge turnaround in results, but the players loved him, club legends, etc. Calls from fans to keep him on. But no, they knew they had a job to do so they picked up a coach with proven ability to build a team in the long term. And that will pay dividends over the next couple of years.
No more 'see how he goes'. No more giving chances. Either signed the best coach available (Cleary by a long way) or make one of the other top shelf coaches available and poach him. Simples.

possm

Coach
Why not have it all?
Cleary as head coach and his son as halfback
JD, Brennan and Head as assistant coaches
B Smith as Recruitment and Pathways

Mary, Hornby and Young to the ESL

Sigurd

Juniors
Why not have it all?
Cleary as head coach and his son as halfback
JD, Brennan and Head as assistant coaches
B Smith as Recruitment and Pathways

Mary, Hornby and Young to the ESL

You stated on another thread Cleary should be allowed to choose his own staff. Cleary the halfback won't be coming anytime soon. He is under contract at Penrith and there is no get out clause in regard to his father. There are some surplus halves, not on the market but seemingly on the outer at their clubs. i.e. Lolohea at the Warriors (whom Cleary brought into first grade) and one of Taylor, Elgey or Roberts at the GC next year.

Also don't rule out Cleary or another coach with some competence pulling a stunt like Griffin has with Cleary Jnr at Penrith.

One thing is certain, if we go into round 1 next year with Hutchinson and Widdop in the halves, we are in huge trouble.

St Georgio

Juniors
Brad Fittler .

Years Team Pld T G FG P
1989–95 Penrith Panthers 119 31 5 2 136
1996–04 Sydney Roosters 217 91 9 8 390
Total 336 122 14 10 526

So once Nathan Cleary 2020 contract is up he will move on. So yes we can stop talking about it, for a while.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
When Cleary took over the Panthers they were terrible. In 2014 he got them to 4th with 15 wins out of 24.and 1 game off the Grandfinal. Losing to a cheating Dogs team. That was with a pretty young and inexperienced team.

At least with Cleary we will play some more attractive footy than what we have since 2011 and he will give youngsters a run.

No matter who they sign they need to put in some freakin clauses in there where if they have a shocking season like this one then they can sack them on the spot and not have to worry about a payout. Just like any other job you sign up for. You perform badly you get 4 weeks pay at best and out the door. Not this we will guarantee you 3 years no matter how bad you perform. If that was how everyone works we would all be millionaires and changing jobs every year.

BennyV

Referee
When Cleary took over the Panthers they were terrible. In 2014 he got them to 4th with 15 wins out of 24.and 1 game off the Grandfinal. Losing to a cheating Dogs team. That was with a pretty young and inexperienced team.

At least with Cleary we will play some more attractive footy than what we have since 2011 and he will give youngsters a run.

No matter who they sign they need to put in some freakin clauses in there where if they have a shocking season like this one then they can sack them on the spot and not have to worry about a payout. Just like any other job you sign up for. You perform badly you get 4 weeks pay at best and out the door
. Not this we will guarantee you 3 years no matter how bad you perform. If that was how everyone works we would all be millionaires and changing jobs every year.
There isn't a single player in the NRL who would sign a contract with any such clause in it...

emu62

Juniors
Brad Fittler .

Years Team Pld T G FG P
1989–95 Penrith Panthers 119 31 5 2 136
1996–04 Sydney Roosters 217 91 9 8 390
Total 336 122 14 10 526

So once Nathan Cleary 2020 contract is up he will move on. So yes we can stop talking about it, for a while.

Clearly i am missing something here.Could someone please explain this post to me, unless it is actually Nathan Cleary himself.Then i still fail to see the relevance to Fittler

monsterkev

Juniors

This Demitreou guy seems worth a punt if Mary is going.
i agree jd is worth a punt as i am not sold on cleary either his track record isnt spectacular by any means plus he has been sacked by 2 clubs so you would have to ask why

monsterkev

Juniors
Problem is, how do you benchmark if he "goes ok"?

JD would be mad to accept the challenge without us signing a solid 7 and 9. If we don't sign anyone and go into next season with what we already have in these positions, scraping into the 8 will be seen as "going ok". Is that going to be good enough for everyone? For me personally, i want more than that.

Not having a go at you, just can't see how giving JD one year is going to do our recruitment potential or JD's career growth any good whatsoever.

There's only one right thing to do. Get the best proven head coach available, leave JD exactly where he is (Cutters Coach and assistant to head coach) and show Mary the door immediately and permanently. The head coach then decides for himself what the future holds for Young, Hornby and all the other hangers on. If he wants them gone, then so be it and thanks for the memories, No more off the cuff short term plans, i'm f**kcen over it, Fix the problem and fix it properly.
i think next year wont be that good anyway no matter who coaches as we cannot sign good players to fill the vacant positions in the team if a coach can win at least 55% of the games it would be a pretty good result and would probably get a spot in the top 8
after the crap year we have just had it would at least give fans some hope for 2018 when there is a swag of players coming off contract throughout the nrl

St Georgio

Juniors
Clearly i am missing something here.Could someone please explain this post to me, unless it is actually Nathan Cleary himself.Then i still fail to see the relevance to Fittler
Since u support the dragons ,I will sacrifice a couple of minutes of my existence to explain

SBD82

Coach
The name being thrown up in JA as a possible replacement could cause some meltdowns.