What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mascord: Rugby league, your image stinks, fix it.

franklin2323

Immortal

taxidriver

Coach
i'm just shaking my head in disbelief at the finger pointing brigade.

pointing at other sports does nothing to refute the fact that leagues image stinks.

fmd, burying your head in the sand, or even worse cries of indignation based on some sort of equivalency around disgraceful acts across other sports is exactly the type of behaviour that mascord is caliing out.

he is 100% right

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
The same 730 that last week ran a story on how hard the essendon drugs investigation has been on its fans and past players. Looking forward to the sharks version but I won't hold my breath.

Oh that's right the sharks had their chance on the abc didn't they, when a weird but consensual sex act was used to almost destroy Matt johns

Well the girl claimed that a lot of what went on wasn't consensual at all.

pointing at other sports does nothing to refute the fact that leagues image stinks.

fmd, burying your head in the sand, or even worse cries of indignation based on some sort of equivalency around disgraceful acts across other sports is exactly the type of behaviour that mascord is caliing out.

he is 100% right

I have to agree. It is like people saying "Ah we only hit with our fists once or twice whilst the guy over there punched him repeatedly and kicked him too". Both are bad, it is only the degree which is the difference.

franklin2323

Immortal

he is 100% right

Where has anyone said the bad behaviour is fine? Having Packer in Jail. Fergo charged. Carney being a dick all are not acceptable. Though how does RL fix it if other big sports with more resources have similar issues?

I don't want this stuff sweeped under the carpet though if there's no bad off field stuff next week. Will the media put feel good RL stories in the place of these bad one's? No Chance that will help the image but Mascord won't do that.

gUt

Coach
I wouldn't bother franklin. That same exact post has occurred about 100 times from 100 users. Posting without reading the thread tsk tsk

El Diablo

Post Whore
Last edited:

oikee

Juniors
To fix rugby league you first need a big broom to sweep out the brain matter that supports this Forrest Gump behaviour.
Ex-players supporting stupid has to stop. Sterlo, Fittler, Johns, every week you hear the same reports from the same muppets.
It has worn thin and the code took the wrong bet.
They rewarded bad and bad is now killing support and it could be too late to fix this mess.

Stop sending in the clowns, the code has enough already, one footy show is too many.
Foxx is now being over-run with stupidity.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Patorick

Staff member
Mascord's points here would be much more compelling if he hadn't supported Hooper and Massoud last year with their Jon Mannah story.

franklin2323

Immortal
Mascord's points here would be much more compelling if he hadn't supported Hooper and Massoud last year with their Jon Mannah story.

I forgot about that wonderful piece of Journalism.... It's the players fault that was on the front page though :sarcasm:

Sleep

Juniors
Rugby League players have a great image! I'm sure every father on here would be ecstatic if their young daughter came home to introduce her new football playing boyfriend to them.

:lol:

Heritage XIII

Juniors
This may be left field but then again...if the NRL needs to clean up its image because management sit on their hands and do nothing about recalcitrant players, then one of this country's largest media organisations should do the same. Channel 7. Didn't they have first hand knowledge of the predatory nature of the former Hey Dad star? You know, the one where the pedoaphile ruined many lives and was ignored from producers to management over several years? Where is the accountability?

I in know way condone Carney's behaviour and he needs to go away and get himself right but that does not give the media the right to continually attack the game's culture, integrity when the NRL has put into place many programs to address such issues. it is human nature, no matter what laws, education, someone is going to stuff up regardless.

franklin2323

Immortal
Rugby League players have a great image! I'm sure every father on here would be ecstatic if their young daughter came home to introduce her new football playing boyfriend to them.

So if yours comes home with a soccer player or plumber it's any less of a concern? I will always be weary of any guy she brings home. Guys can be arses no matter the occupation

Last edited:

gUt

Coach

What a completely idiotic statement. People get judged on their merits as individuals.

Heritage XIII

Juniors

Sounds like the main forum has been infiltrated by trolls. Stick to the Fight club with that trash

Parra

Referee
I don't want this stuff sweeped under the carpet though if there's no bad off field stuff next week. Will the media put feel good RL stories in the place of these bad one's? No Chance that will help the image but Mascord won't do that.

Why should they?

Just use this forum as a sample - what gets more discussion & reads - some feelgood story or scandal and debacle?

franklin2323

Immortal
Why should they?

Just use this forum as a sample - what gets more discussion & reads - some feelgood story or scandal and debacle?

Then he's not worried about the image afterall then... As I suspected an excuse just to bag the game

Perth Red

Post Whore

TBF there has been plenty of feel good stories re NRL, SOO1 was talked up no end and rightly so as one of the best sporting events ever. If Carney hadn't pssed in his mouth they would have been talking about the amazing Sharks fight back and the great round of close games we had and the build up to NSW lifting the trophy. One dck head basically caused a week of negative media when there would have been plenty of good stuff being written this week.

Mascord normally writes good news pieces, especially about the development of the game in far flung places. he is the only RL journo I know that looks further than the NRL for stories of how the game is going.

Patorick

Staff member
I forgot about that wonderful piece of Journalism.... It's the players fault that was on the front page though :sarcasm:
It was a black eye for rugby league (in general) that Steve was happy to overlook because a mate of his was involved.