What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mascord: Rugby league, your image stinks, fix it.

elbusto

Coach
I'm realistic, shit happens, but it gets sorted out at the end of the day. Some of you sanctimonious lot overreact to some outrageous journalism, think that the code is in crisis and call for a royal commission. Some of he issues are societal issues and it would be ridiculous to think the NRL can change players to make them behave like Mary McKillop.

Yep it gets sorted out. And all is good from then on. There is no problem. Nothing needs to be fixed. Lets all move ahead and ignore it all. yay!

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Majak Daw incident had a few inches on page 15 in the Tele today. They seem to think AFL important enough to put back or inside back with feelgood Swans pieces. The evidence is blindingly obvious but you choose to ignore it. Because you're an AFL fan. And a troll.

But I won't let your idiocy derail the good topic too much. We as a code should stop providing the ammunition, but to say the media isnt clearly running the narrative in the AFL's favour is either wilfully ignorant, incredibly stupid, or blatant trolling.

In today's west Australian the Daw was page three news, Essendon drugs story on inside back page. No mention of carney or chambers at all. NRL getting a free ride or a newspaper writing stories they think their readership want to read?

elbusto

Coach
they don't have standards

Okay then lets just spin as well as they do.

Or maybe we can just take a deep breath, and think about how we move ahead over the next twenty years.

We have a magnificent game. It is, in my view, better than any other.

But to show that we have to get over this inferiority complex, and start promoting ourselves positively.

You cannot win a war fighting in your own borders. You guys might get sick of Perth Red. FFS I know I do, but he makes one salient point that is undeniable - we have to break down the East Coast wall and make our game a truly national and international one.

My experience with NRL personnel, especially from the Affiliated States cartel, is that they have no vision, no long term plan, and are happy to get their weekly pay cheques basking in a 10% increase each year in playing numbers in Tassie, Vic, NT, SA and WA regardless of the fact there are only 8000 registered players in that market.

WE will never get the chip off our shoulder, and challenge our opponents by simply being good while we have to put up with our best and most important players behaving like total idiots, and then getting support from 'legends' of the game.

Parra

Referee
In today's west Australian the Daw was page three news, Essendon drugs story on inside back page. No mention of carney or chambers at all. NRL getting a free ride or a newspaper writing stories they think their readership want to read?

Exactly. I never find NRL stories in the West Australian. Had to buy the Herald Sun twice this week - no mention of Carney or NRL at all. It's like it doesn't exist. James Hird still making the back page though, even without bubbling.

Chook Norris

First Grade
I don't think the game has a poor image at all. Its just a bad week and all will be forgotten in another week.

Hang on, you think the general public perceives the game to have a good image? You honestly think that? If anything, it has the worst image out of all the football codes here :?

Would there be a reaction if an athlete in another sport did this? Yes. I'm sure if a Quade Cooper was caught bubbling or w/e they're calling it that it would get some media coverage. Albeit less than this but only because of the respective popularity of the sports. Sure, I’ll buy that. No objections there.

But that's not to say there isn't a difference in the type of coverage and the narrative that follows when you compare rugby league with other codes.

While a celeb yawnion or AFL star would undoubtedly be a topic of discussion, I don't accept that the response would be the same. I don't think you'd get rugby unions answer to Mascord bemoaning the culture of the sport, effectively surmising that the code is full of knuckle dragging ruffians and something needs to change to tackle the image of the sport - the supposition being that the image of rugby league has been fairly and objectively earned?

Let me go off track a second by saying that as nice a guy as Mascord is said to be – and no matter how much of a fan of the game he is – when it comes down to it he’s a journo. That's to say that he'd probably rather bury his head in the sand than accept that the media that he’s apart of is institutionally racist, sexist, classist, and whatever else type of f**ked up you can think of.

Journos are self-righteous f**kwits who almost exclusively (maybe Steve is the exemption?) believe that journalism is a serious profession that is a) for the people, b) wholly objective and c) conductive to a better and more informed society. Very few accept – ‘realise’ might be a better word – that they’re propagandists in some capacity. If they were to write independently and freely, going against employer and advertiser in the process, their job would be jeopardised. ‘f**k the media’ is basically what I’m getting at with my interjection.

Back on track...

The reason - the sole reason - that rugby league has an image problem is because historically and presently it's a working class sport. It's that simple.

Granted, rugby union is less popular, but can anyone tell me why rugby union doesn't have the same image problem. Why isn't rugby union associated with thick meatheads, knuckle draggers, bogans. Is the conduct on or off the field that much better? If anything, and if you're serious, it's worse. Gouging, fighting, ball grabbing, going out on the piss and being a twat - these all happen far more frequently in the code of rugby, yet for some mysterious reason the game has managed to sidestep the image problem that rugby league has.

What's the difference - Is it profile? Doubtful. In places where rugby is the dominant code, league is still seen as the one for knuckle draggers. One way or the other, is there really a huge difference in the way the players behave on or off the field? No.

The key difference, and what it always comes back to, is class, socioeconomic status. With or without on or off field controversy, rugby league would have a negative image, be derided as a sport for the violent, uneducated and brain dead for no other reason than that it is a working class sport. That's how a lot of people judge the sport, consciously or subconsciously. Rugby league could be the cleanest and most controversy-free sport in all of Australia and it wouldn't make a blind bit of f**king difference. Anyone suggesting otherwise is lying to themselves or ignorant to how the world works.

Just look at England. Football (soccer) players are always derided as nought more than chavs, knuckle dragging, unwashed thugs. Yet rugby union enjoys a positive profile and image, despite the vicious and dirty merkins that play it - it’s clearly the more violent and thuggish sport, and only a shite-hawk would suggest otherwise. Again, where's the difference? Rugby is a mainly white, middle-upper class sport... that’s the difference. White middle class people aren't thugs, they aren't knuckle draggers, and they aren't stupid f**ks, regardless of how bad their actions are. You see a similar gulf in perception when you compare a game like darts to snooker. One has an image problem, and the image problem is that it’s a game played and watched by poor people. That in itself is problematic.

And the media has to take responsibility for a lot of these perceptions because they're responsible for nurturing and shaping them. They hate the poor and always have. I’m sure if the media didn’t shit on working class and non-white people at every turn that rugby league would enjoy an improved image.

Until Mascord and others are willing to accept that then there really isn't a discussion worth having, because their intellectual dishonesty won't allow for one.

... But let's not get political here

qb6nt2b.png

supercharger

Juniors

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Exactly. I never find NRL stories in the West Australian. Had to buy the Herald Sun twice this week - no mention of Carney or NRL at all. It's like it doesn't exist. James Hird still making the back page though, even without bubbling.

But but some here are saying afl scandals are ignored by the press in other states while nrl scandals are hyped up

I mean surely they know better than posters who actually reside in these states

Flapper

First Grade
I was personally referring to NSW, the state where I actually reside and read the news. Bad news story gets a few inches on page 15 yesterday, Swans story gets inside back today? That's what I'm referring to. I don't know about you guys but sports stars raping people (allegedly) is big news and should be treated as such without fear nor favour. If good AFL stuff is important enough in Sydney to demand inside back, the bad news stories should be too. They might do different in AFL states fair enough, I haven't lived in Perth for a decade and I've luckily never lived in Melbourne, but in Sydney it does happen.

But as I've said throughout the thread, it's up to us as a Rugby League community to change our standards and stand less and less for the sort of shit that happens. The media won't change, Sydney is a city that could harness gossip and drama as a power source and save the world, hence the media will always tend towards trash, we have to be above that not meet them in (then shit in) the gutter.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
But but some here are saying afl scandals are ignored by the press in other states while nrl scandals are hyped up

I mean surely they know better than posters who actually reside in these states

This BS that the Carney incident got no play in the Vic newspapers or radio needs to be corrected.

It's got massive play.

It's on the Project, all the AFL footy shoes, Have you Being paying attention.

One of the reasons is that it's joke fodder, unlike assault our rape

gUt

Coach
I was personally referring to NSW, the state where I actually reside and read the news. Bad news story gets a few inches on page 15 yesterday, Swans story gets inside back today? That's what I'm referring to. I don't know about you guys but sports stars raping people (allegedly) is big news and should be treated as such without fear nor favour. If good AFL stuff is important enough in Sydney to demand inside back, the bad news stories should be too. They might do different in AFL states fair enough, I haven't lived in Perth for a decade and I've luckily never lived in Melbourne, but in Sydney it does happen.

But as I've said throughout the thread, it's up to us as a Rugby League community to change our standards and stand less and less for the sort of shit that happens. The media won't change, Sydney is a city that could harness gossip and drama as a power source and save the world, hence the media will always tend towards trash, we have to be above that not meet them in (then shit in) the gutter.

Plus there's these new things called TV and the internet that anyone can watch and use to access opinion no matter where they live. The same opinions that are clearly slanted against our code.

Newspapers are dying in this country. Taking up afl sells papers in the wasteland states so they talk it up out of all proportion. Talking down RL in the RL states sells papers so they massively talk it down. Yes there are exceptions but this is the general rule. The same companies that exaggerate and publish the negative RL stories give the lead to their massively popular websites and social media feeds. TV piggy backs off this. Round and round we go.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Tonight on 7:30 on the ABC they will feature a puff piece on AFL in India.

It will feature the usual footage of twenty odd locals struggle with a ball in an urban slum, while White, Victorians point their fingers and clap encouragingly. You will then also see a soft interview in which the interviewee will talk about inclusiveness, rising out of poverty and giving people a chance. The game of ozzie rules will be portrayed as central to these themes of course.

We have seen this many times before. I can personally recall the same story for ozzie rules in Russia, South Africa and in the UK.

The timing on this occasion is exquisite though.

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
The same 730 that last week ran a story on how hard the essendon drugs investigation has been on its fans and past players. Looking forward to the sharks version but I won't hold my breath.

Oh that's right the sharks had their chance on the abc didn't they, when a weird but consensual sex act was used to almost destroy Matt johns