What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mason 'pushed' Thurston: Folkes

gong_eagle

First Grade
By Steve Mascord
September 10, 2007

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22390494-5001023,00.html

BULLDOGS coach Steve Folkes has dismissed North Queensland's complaints about a Willie Mason challenge on Johnathan Thurston in the second qualifying final.
An unusually outspoken Thurston called for greater protection from kickers after the 32nd-minute incident in the Dogs' 20-18 win at Dairy Farmers Stadium, with match reviewers certain to watch Mason's attempted charge-down of a clearing kick.
"It was just a push," Folkes told The Daily Telegraph. "The referee, the two touch judges and the video referee did nothing. He was falling, there was nothing to it."
When Thurston was asked if he was upset at Sonny Bill Williams only getting a one-week ban for his forearm to his head last week, he replied: "Yeah, definitely. What do you reckon?"
Mason recalled: 'I didn't hear anything about that. When did I hit him? I must have had a mind-blank.
"We get taught to pressure kickers. There was no intent to hurt him.
"I don't think Sonny (Bill Williams) meant to hit him around the head and I didn't mean to attack him either. I definitely didn't hit him around the head area. It would have been pretty close because I'm pretty tall.
"I sort of pulled out and hit him on the shoulder. I can understand it from their playmaker. Good on them - but he's going to keep getting that pressure from everybody."

But North Queensland prop Matt Scott last night said the Cowboys pack might start taking matters into their own hands if Thurston continued to be targeted.
"It gets frustrating when nothing happens, particularly if it's going to hurt our team by Johnno getting hurt or dazed, we should be getting something back for it," Scott said.
"He could break his jaw, get knocked out, anything."

Cowboys back-rower Jacob Lillyman, meanwhile, says any suspension for his high tackle on Luke Patten would leave him devastated.
Lillyman was booked for a 32nd-minute shot on Patten, and Carl Webb will have scans on a potentially season-ending knee injury today.
"If I got suspended for something like that, it would crush me," Lillyman said.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Many would be hoping it's the other way around Crane :lol:

innsaneink

Referee
What a sh*t article, hopping from one incident one week to a different one the week prior, plus they have the wrong result.
Had to read it three times to follow it.

Spike

First Grade
Damn that's a really ordinary article as ink said - gutter journalism, you would think they would proof read their work before publishing it in a national newspaper

kooriguy

Juniors
that DOG mason should be outed for the remainder of the finals.. not because i think the penelty warrants it.. but more because he is just a drop kick.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Mason should be outed till 2010 tbh

Thurston should have his elbow to maitua looked at by the MRC

[FKN-SIK]

Juniors
waaaaaaah

it was a nothing push

you'd think if he'd had a whinge about something it would have been the maitua tackle. although it was legal, it would have f**kin hurt him

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
kooriguy said:
that DOG mason should be outed for the remainder of the finals.. not because i think the penelty warrants it.. but more because he is just a drop kick.

:lol::lol:

Great stuff

fourplay

Juniors
Malcom Noad should come out and say "Jacob Lillyman MUST get suspended!!! or else the finals will be an open slather, minimum 3 weeks." Just like the Cowoys did for SBW.

voltron

Juniors
Dragonsforthewin said:
anyone mention Ryles yet?

man this ryles thing is getting lame
its like dogs fans complaining "if this was a dogs player, then the media....."