What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mass of retirements

nqcowboy87

Bench
not sure if this has been mentioned searched back a couple of pages and couldnt find anything. im kinda amazed at the amount of retirees this year. sure every year theres at least 1 or two big names retiring and a couple of clubmen but this is a list of this years

darren lockyer - do i need to say anything
mark gasnier - probably one of the best centres in the modern era
andrew ryan - hard working clubmen who busted his gut for bnsw and australia
preston campbell - one of the best players of the last ten years, built like a ferrett but with the heart of a lion the best example of somebody who was unlucky not to play origin
mad dog mcdougall - one of the best wingers in his earrly days, could have made the three hundred club if not for a glut of injuries and kept playing well into is mid 30's
rhys wesser - not as good as he used to be but still a soid player that won a premiership and represented qld and still holds the record for most tries at penrith
todd payten - another example of someone who was unlucky not to play origin, bullocking front rower with the skills of a playmaker

and these are the ones who have retired mid season

mark riddell - honest clubman and fan favourite no matter what club he played for
carl webb - not as good as he was a few years ago but at his best was one of the most fearsome players - that try he scored against the bulldogs where he pushed luke patten out of the way is still one of my fvourite memories
paul whatuira - probably didnt get the exit he deserved, elusive nz test player
chris walker - much maligned but incredibly skilled attacking player was great to finally see him turn his life around on the coasgt

not too mention there might be a couple more, i think shane elfords retiring too

Canard

Immortal
50% of that list will feel compelled to make a failed comeback a la Matt Rogers to help there club/mates/old playing buddies etc.

skeepe

Immortal
Dirty is the right word, he was an absolute merkin.

You need that though. JWH tries hard, but just ends up looking like a dickhead, that eye gouge on Hunt today a prime example.

nqcowboy87

Bench
i forgot about myers and conn, and whats with all the anger towards tongue, hes an awesome player, not overall skilled but heart of a lion

Red Bear

Referee
There's a few years like that, 04 had Fittler, Tallis, Girdlir O'Davis and a few other noteables.

Last edited:

Paullyboy

Coach
i forgot about myers and conn, and whats with all the anger towards tongue, hes an awesome player, not overall skilled but heart of a lion

Tongue has passion and raiders fans love the effort he has given us. Buy he is simply hurting the raiders the longer he keeps playing unfortunately.

skeepe

Immortal
It's sad to see just how far Tongue has regressed from his peak. He just isn't the player he once was. I think he's been playing injured for most of the year, but that's part of the problem: he's always injured. His body just seems to be beyond the rigours of the NRL these days.

His commitment can't be questioned, but it seems to be a case of the mind is willing but the body is weak.