What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matai --------> Warriors

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-news/sport/3858852/Matai-keen-on-Warriors

Ad Feedback

Kia ora, Guest [Settings] [Logout] [ sign in]

Matai keen on Warriors

By AARON LAWTON - Sunday News

Last updated 05:00 27/06/2010
Print
Text Size

3858853.jpg

Steve Matai

Relevant offers

KIWIS hard man Steve Matai is emerging as the frontrunner to replace Brent Tate at the Warriors next year.
The 25-year-old Manly centre is off contract at season’s end and his agent Gavin Orr yesterday revealed Matai would move home if the Warriors came up with the right price.
Experienced centre Tate confi rmed during the week he’d signed a three-year deal with North Queensland Cowboys so the Warriors are after a replacement.
"I think Steve would move home because he’'s still got a lot of family there,’’'' Orr told Sunday News yesterday. “
"But it will really depend on what the Warriors would be prepared to seriously put on the table. They know he’'s available but we haven’t heard from them.''
Of concern for the Warriors would be Matai’s dodgy track record with the NRL judiciary and past troubles with neck and shoulder injuries.
But it is the Kiwi centre’s aggression, defensive prowess and ability to find the tryline that would really appeal to the club.
Warriors coach Ivan Cleary is disappointed Tate opted not to accept a two-year deal to stay but confirmed Matai would be an ideal replacement.
"I had no idea he was interested in coming home," Cleary said.
"But we’'d certainly consider someone of the calibre of Steve Matai. “I suppose we’'ve only just heard the news about Brent but it does give us some certainty and it changes our salary cap projections for next year and all that sort of thing.''
"We will need to have a look at everything now and try to make some decisions soon.
Orr said Matai would be a good fi t. "Everyone keeps asking me why the Warriors haven’t been on the phone wanting him.’’
Warriors recruitment boss Dean Bell yesterday confirmed Matai was “one of many’’ centres the club had discussed.
But he conceded signing a new prop was the top priority.
"He [Matai] is of interest, yeah,”'' Bell said.
Ad Feedback
On top of the prop hitlist is Melbourne enforcer Adam Blair. But sources say it’s unlikely the Kiwi would be released early from his contract, which expires in 2011. Melbourne prop Brett White is also thought to be of interest and is a more realistic signing prospect.
Meanwhile, former Kiwis centre Paul Whatuira could be on the lookout for an NRL club after being released by Huddersfield.

Scott

Bench
Surely with Inu, Ropati and Moon, we don't really need a top quality centre. I would rather we go with someone much cheaper. Dane Nielson from the Storm is someone who can play centre/wing and will not cost the $$$ that Matai would.

playdaball

Bench
Surely with Inu, Ropati and Moon, we don't really need a top quality centre. I would rather we go with someone much cheaper. .

Maybe they see Inu as a FB / wing?

It wasn't that long ago that Moon was the next big # 6 same as Ropati actually.

Don't forget the club does have a lot of $$$$

Martli

Coach
China doll and a judiciary target. No from me. Good player but won't be worth it, he'll barely play any games.

ozreece77

Juniors
Why would we sign a player that has injuries almost as often as Tate, if not more, PLUS also finds himself at the judiciary a lot thanks to his dodgy tackling technique.

Probably the last player the Warriors should be looking at.

edit. Haha, Martli posted while I was still typing. Pretty much said exactly the same thing.

Last edited:
Why would we sign a player that has injuries almost as often as Tate, if not more, PLUS also finds himself at the judiciary a lot thanks to his dodgy tackling technique.

Probably the last player the Warriors should be looking at.

edit. Haha, Martli posted while I was still typing. Pretty much said exactly the same thing.

Yeah i agree

One Warrior

Bench
Get Justin Carney (also mentioned as being targeted), Blair and White for 2011, release Henderson and possibly Heremaia when their contracts are up end 2011 and sign a decent hooker for 2012, with Mara and Nafe Seluini for backup.

Rovelli

Bench
Agree with you guys - if we are looking for a Tate replacement, we could do far far worse than Steve.

But there are more pressing concerns for us, namely a top-line prop or dummy-half.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Matai is awful for numerous reasons

1) Always has a shoulder injury. Never 100% when on field and spends many games off field nursing those shoulders.

2) Defence: far too many penalities conceded at the wrong end of the field at the wrong time

3) Defence: his running out of the goalline /10/20 metre line and trying for a big shot results in far too many tries conceded. Rarely successful at shutting down the play yet he still persists with it. Seriously - who would honestly think shoulder charges by a little Matai man on the edge by their own goal line is a good idea? Must infuriate all his coaches because he does it at all levels of the game - club and test. Concedes countless tries as he leaves a big hole in the defensive line.

Total liability.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Matai is a better player than Inu. But since we've already got Inu I think his signing (presumably paying overs) would be a bit pointless.

Latest posts