What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Finals Week 1 vs North Qld @ Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville / Wulgurukaba

Who will win? Finals Week 1: North Qld v Newcastle

• North Queensland Cowboys 13+

• North Queensland Cowboys 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yosh

Coach
I love Best as much as the next guy, but he did have 5 missed tackles (1 off the most in our team) while Herbie ran for 281m and made 11 tackle busts.
Herbie made some great metres out of his own end but was monstered when he was attacking our line.

Bradman is mid tier defecively when it comes to centres in the comp. Hes helped by playing on the left when the majority of the comp are stronger attacking to the oppositions right. His tech still needs work, especially his choice to go high too often

Hes certainly improved in 2024 but "Elite" is hyperbolic

Still confident of a win tomorrow. I think Lucas will fill in for Best with no problem, he has before after all.

If it was Tuala or McCarthy that was there I'd be pretty worried lol.

I just hope KPP is fit and firing.

Yosh

Coach
I just love Lucas on the left as a backrower so much... If it wasn't a finals game I would love to see McCarthy The Challenger of High Balls get another run but understand why we would go with Lucas at centre.

Woody90

Juniors
For this game if we're missing one, I'd rather lose Best than Gagai.

I dunno tbh. Gags is so passionate he tends to lose his head in big games where Best is a bit more clutch.
Hope I’m wrong but I see him being a huge loss tbh. I know we’ve won game without him this year but much different level to finals.

I was reasonably confident of victory prior to Best being ruled out, such is his impact on the team recently. I still believe we have an outside chance if we play tough though. Cows don't win tough.

I know it's been said to death but our spine outside of Ponga is absolutely disgusting. Let's be honest, how are we even in the finals with that trash?

How far into the finals do we need to go before we consider the season a success coaching-wise for AOB? For mine, scraping into the 8 only to lose in a close game isn't nearly a pass.

perverse

Referee
How far into the finals do we need to go before we consider the season a success coaching-wise for AOB? For mine, scraping into the 8 only to lose in a close game isn't nearly a pass.
Honestly, those that are worrying about where/how high we finish without worrying about context and other factors are as bad as people that argue Thurston is a better player than Johns because he won more origins, and other overly simplistic views.

Finishing higher doesn't hurt his case, but there's a lot more to look at. We'll have all off-season to ruminate, for now i'm just keen to see if Ponga can pull a rabbit of of a hat today.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Honestly, those that are worrying about where/how high we finish without worrying about context and other factors are as bad as people that argue Thurston is a better player than Johns because he won more origins, and other overly simplistic views.

Finishing higher doesn't hurt his case, but there's a lot more to look at. We'll have all off-season to ruminate, for now i'm just keen to see if Ponga can pull a rabbit of of a hat today.
And then after all that... He's still not being fired this off season.

Yosh

Coach
Cowboys have a representative spine but I'd still take our spine over there's because of Ponga. All their spine players are support players while Ponga can win a Premiership on his own.

Woody90

Juniors

For me there needs to be improvement on the previous season to consider it a success, meaning we’d need to win 2 finals games.

There will be people pointing to the fact that we’ve had adversity with Ponga’s injury particularly this year and our squad being rubbish - but IMO we had much more adversity last year and still finished 5th and won a finals game.

Fair. Not trying to take away from the occasion at all. Just feels awfully strange to be 8th after what felt like a disastrous season. A lot of factors as you say.

Johns is better btw

For me there needs to be improvement on the previous season to consider it a success, meaning we’d need to win 2 finals games.

There will be people pointing to the fact that we’ve had adversity with Ponga’s injury particularly this year and our squad being rubbish - but IMO we had much more adversity last year and still finished 5th and won a finals game.
I feel the same. A prelim would be a good look given where the team came from during the year. That said, it's always questionable how successful the coach is when the team is essentially carried by a single player, ala last year.

Cowboys have a representative spine but I'd still take our spine over there's because of Ponga. All their spine players are support players while Ponga can win a Premiership on his own.
Big call but I can see the merit in that. I tend to agree that in these big games, I'd take one genuine superstar as opposed to 3 hot and cold ones. God I hope we win.

Latest posts