What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Melbourne @ CommBank Stadium

Who will win? Round 1: Wests Tigers v Melbourne

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Melbourne Storm 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Melbourne Storm 13+

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Now everyone knows that the best players and coaches are the ones in the stands, or perhaps on forums :rolleyes:

Foxsports have 2 guys who at least like what Hastings had to say:

New halfback Jackson Hastings put in a solid performance on debut for the Tigers, but signalled a desire to shift the attitudes of his team moving forward.

“You say it’s a good performance but you can’t play for 40 minutes, we’re trying to get the club out of that stage where 40 minutes isn’t good enough. We played a really good half of footy and we played a poor half of footy,” Hastings said after his side’s loss.

“Although we played OK in patches, it’s extremely disappointing to lose and it’s not really good enough in the end so bitterly disappointed.

“It’s an honour to be back here. I’ve been through all the trials and tribulations, the ups and downs and had to play some really good footy for four years to get an opportunity. As I said just then I’m really proud to be back but extremely disappointed to lose that game. I thought we played well for a half and disappointing in the second 40. A lot to work on and a lot to take out of it.
“It was definitely the one that got away — if you look at who Melbourne had out. We just need to capitalise on our opportunities, we created plenty. We dropped too much ball in the second half and, we went from 90 per cent completion to 50 per cent and as all you boys know in the NRL that’s not good enough.”

Tigers favourite son and Fox League expert Benji Marshall asked where the Tigers went wrong in this game, and Hastings was honest in his answer.

“Defensively, the tries were way too soft, not getting off our line, letting a quality player like Jahrome Hughes skip through the middle and not completing. They’re the simple parts of footy... we did it brilliant in the first 40 and then it flipped on its head,” Hastings explained.

“You can’t give a champion side like Melbourne that sort of field position or ball otherwise they’ll make you pay and that’s what they did.”

Hastings, who returned from the English Super League after a turbulent first spell in the NRL, was praised with Marshall and Cooper Cronk.

Tigers fans will be hoping that the desire their side showed in Round 1 will continue and if Hastings continues to lead the troops around the park he will win the hearts of the merger club’s faithful.

“That is the change in the attitude that the club needs and the type of character of person you want around your club. As you say losing is unacceptable and they had the opportunities to win that game,” Marshall explained.

If I look back to the scoreline and how they were playing, if they just kept that pressure on top of Melbourne they would have gotten through.”

“I’m with you Benji, I like what Jackson said there. I think he seems like a guy that’s very comfortable in his own skin now. I didn’t know Jackson before he left and not much now, but as a guy that played a good first half, he knew exactly what happened,” Fox League’s Cooper Cronk said in reply.

“He doesn’t need the coach to tell him the good, bad or indifferent. He’s got a good-levelled head on his shoulders and I like his approach.”

One thing that stuck out for me was the amount of tackles that storm had a 3rd player ( often Welsh ) do a straight out flop on top of the ball carrier and the 2 tacklers. Cam used to do this, but nowhere near what storms did to us the other night. It seriously seemed to happen 80+% of our carries.
Welsh didn't get injured in play. Welsh picked up his hamstring injury by having to stretch over the tackle heap to land on top of them time and time and time and time again.
While you don't want to see a player pick up a season ending injury, you must always remember that karma is a bitch.
Christian, old bean, next year when you return, don't flop like a merkin and you'll be fine.
The underlying point is a valid one, but you are better than this Rosco

WA Tiger

Bench
I wish someone player or coach would say we were rubbish in the second half instead of “things flipped ” or “we just didn’t do what we did in the first half ” That post match interview was so hard to watch.. that was our captain and coach!!.. they looked and sounded like they were both on detention.. It’s only the start of the season and Madge looks like toast ..How can he make decisions and communicate with the lads and relevant staff in that state..Thank God Sheens is watching

The Rosco

Bench
Very weak punishment for what is a dangerous tackle. Plenty of players have broken legs and ripped ACL’s due to this shit.
If Lindsay Collins's one that was SO intentional . . . he had around 4 seconds to decide to cannonball or just stay the hell out of the tackle . . . only got a $750 fine, what did we really expect ?
Shit teams don't matter.

Pezz70

Juniors
Can’t agree with u re comparison to Alfie although I’m not rushing to condemn Hastings.I certainly wasn’t happy with Hastings’s performance & acknowledge it’s only his 1st match for us albeit we need him to be consistently dominant or we r fkd.
Watched a lot of footy on the weekend & reinforced my massive concern about our atrocious backline.We’ve deadset got the worst backline in the NRL.It’s going to take one heck of a catastrophic season from another team to beat us to the spoon.
Very much like Alf. Changes the tempo of the game, likes to drift a bit and has the knack of making players watch him instead of tackle him. We’ll see him with a big bag of try assists this year. I think we’ll score more points this year but we’re still gonna struggle in defence by the looks of it. At least in the previously quoted interview Hastings was all over our defensive problems.

WA Tiger

Bench
I wish someone player or coach would say we were rubbish in the second half instead of “things flipped ” or “we just didn’t do what we did in the first half ” That post match interview was so hard to watch.. that was our captain and coach!!.. they looked and sounded like they were both on detention.. It’s only the start of the season and Madge looks like toast ..How can he make decisions and communicate with the lads and relevant staff in that state..Thank God Sheens is watching
Having said that, That game would have ripped the heart out of Madge..He needed that baby and he would have thought he had it at half time …His comments at half time were “Very happy with….”

Unfortunately there has to be more of that for him to be dispatched

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
Having said that, That game would have ripped the heart out of Madge..He needed that baby and he would have thought he had it at half time …His comments at half time were “Very happy with….”

Unfortunately there has to be more of that for him to be dispatched
The way I see it, the players did their job up until half time. Their lack of a class player meant that the scores were close but make no mistake, they were playing footy and winning well.
It was the coaching staffs job to ensure that great start as well as the bench advantage we had was capitalised upon. They failed to do so and the players imploded.
They should have looked the way they did in the presser…they f**ked it up.

Latest posts