What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Sharks @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 1: Knights v Sharks

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
One of the ugliest games I’ve seen in a long time but I’ll take that win any day, holding the Sharks to just one (somewhat dubious) try is the most pleasing part.

Edrick Lee was excellent tonight. Smashed that grub Dugan (probably my least favourite player in the NRL) all night and then reads that pass beautifully and gets the match winning try.

Also massive credit has to go to our whole forward pack, we looked good coming out of our half and we defended really solidly and everyone did the job asked of them, I just hope DSaf’s injury isn’t too bad, it’s the first time we’ve managed to get him fit so I’ll be really annoyed if he misses a lot of games now. Klemmer and Gavet are wrecking balls and Glasby is an unsung hero, apart from scoring a nice try he found his front on just about every run and got a bunch of quick play the balls and earned at least one penalty. Levi’s passing was crisp and he chose the right times to run but I wasn’t happy with how often he went short to a forward close to the line when he should have gone out he back to our playmakers. Good game from him overall though.

Our centres were quiet but they got no early ball whatsoever so I don’t blame them. Overall our attack was terrible and I thought we were way too flat especially when attacking their line. Pearce, Ponga and Watson failed to fire but that combination will take some time. At least Watson was sniffing around the ruck looking for offloads which I thought would be one of his strengths, got a nice one from Klemmer in our first set and ran onto that one from SKD late in the game which bought us about 20m and more momentum. Definitely a lot that those 3 can work on though.

Overall not a pretty game but we stuck with them in the arm wrestle and played tough so I’m happy with that element of it.

PhantomChief

Juniors
One of the ugliest games I’ve seen in a long time but I’ll take that win any day, holding the Sharks to just one (somewhat dubious) try is the most pleasing part.

Edrick Lee was excellent tonight. Smashed that grub Dugan (probably my least favourite player in the NRL) all night and then reads that pass beautifully and gets the match winning try.

Also massive credit has to go to our whole forward pack, we looked good coming out of our half and we defended really solidly and everyone did the job asked of them, I just hope DSaf’s injury isn’t too bad, it’s the first time we’ve managed to get him fit so I’ll be really annoyed if he misses a lot of games now. Klemmer and Gavet are wrecking balls and Glasby is an unsung hero, apart from scoring a nice try he found his front on just about every run and got a bunch of quick play the balls and earned at least one penalty. Levi’s passing was crisp and he chose the right times to run but I wasn’t happy with how often he went short to a forward close to the line when he should have gone out he back to our playmakers. Good game from him overall though.

Our centres were quiet but they got no early ball whatsoever so I don’t blame them. Overall our attack was terrible and I thought we were way too flat especially when attacking their line. Pearce, Ponga and Watson failed to fire but that combination will take some time. At least Watson was sniffing around the ruck looking for offloads which I thought would be one of his strengths, got a nice one from Klemmer in our first set and ran onto that one from SKD late in the game which bought us about 20m and more momentum. Definitely a lot that those 3 can work on though.

Overall not a pretty game but we stuck with them in the arm wrestle and played tough so I’m happy with that element of it.
Early indications on DSaf is MCL. Spoke with his Mum and Jacob after the game

Jono078

Referee
A win is a win and I love it.

We still look very suspect when teams spread the ball to our edges but it was finally nice to see us being strong in the middle!

All the new blokes were great. Gavet could turn into a penalty machine if he aint careful.

The good thing about this win is Ponga did nothing. I think it'll take him a real long time to get comfortable.

Favorite stat is we only kept a team to under 10 points once last year - this is the most pleasing aspect of tonight.

Burwood

Bench
Fifita had 18 runs and only made 119m. Did an amazing job limiting his impact. Really impressed by hunt as well- he’ll do a good job as a backup centre if he keeps up that sort of performance.

Frederick

Staff member
Fifita had 18 runs and only made 119m. Did an amazing job limiting his impact. Really impressed by hunt as well- he’ll do a good job as a backup centre if he keeps up that sort of performance.
Backup? Hunt did more than enough to indicate that the position is his to lose imo

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Backup? Hunt did more than enough to indicate that the position is his to lose imo

He was solid in D, didn’t get any ball apart from bringing it out of our half but did a good job with what he was asked to do. Unless he has a couple of bad games back to back I think he should hold is place for the time being, and Moga would need to be playing well in reserve grade as well.

Latest posts