What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Sharks @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 1: Knights v Sharks

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pedge1971

First Grade
Dunno what you guys are saying about it being an ugly game!

To me that was beautiful. We took on the Sharks that beat teams through the forwards and just rolling on up the field. We stopped em with tough, hard defence. Then rolled on up field ourselves.

As Brown said in the presser, we out gritted a team, that out grits teams.

That is the exact platform we need to be setting week in week out. Attack will improve with time and remember this was against last seasons 3rd best defence.

I'd say it was the perfect way to start the season. A good hard hit out under our belts where we had to play the 80 minutes to win.

Whgen was the last time you can say a Knights side stayed focused for the 80 minutes?

100% agree. The Roosters built their premiership last year on rock solid defence and absolute grit.

Their attack was clunky forna long way last year but they knew they had the players to get it right.

I saw everything I wanted from us last night for a first game of the season.

Watched the 2nd half again. He was great all game but when it was on the line in the last 15 Klemmer was enormous. Took the tough carries and did the dirty work out of our own end as well as laying the platform with his carry b4 the Glasby try.

Pedge1971

First Grade
just watched the second half again. The highlight was the Gallen knock on, jee the boyz gave it to him. Barny but most notably Fitzy gave him an all mighty spray that just didnt let up, there was some venom in those words, I'd love to know what he said.

I reckon some of it had something to do with Gal's reserve grade comments a few years back.

Knight Vision

First Grade
https://www.triplem.com.au/story/la...kG0tlijCAK_OTIvOllCfdufh6U4aAzt2zRC1ZeK1r1z3Q

The roar of the Newcastle Knights crowd as Paul Gallen dropped the ball, and essentially the game, in the closing moments of Friday's drive-time game was deafening.

Gallen didn't just cop it from the crowd but almost the entire Knights team ran in to give the Sharks captain a mouthful.

One of the 'frontman' during that chat was Lachlan Fitzgibbon who joined Triple M Saturday Footy to reveal exactly what was said.

Yosh

Coach
Even though Gavet didn't offer much in terms of stats, I thought he looked good out there. His kick chase on Johnson to force the line drop out was quality and he took the ball up on some difficult carries. If he is the worst forward to play for us week in week out I'm still crying for joy.

Also, one other random point, saw Ponga clear the ruck once like he was playing union. I think it was the second half on the Sharks' line and it looked like I was watching union for a second. Anyone else catch that?

Also how funny was it when he surrendered and just meekly lay there. Looked like he was playing touch footy, where you purposely touch the defender to get a quick play the ball.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Even though Gavet didn't offer much in terms of stats, I thought he looked good out there. His kick chase on Johnson to force the line drop out was quality and he took the ball up on some difficult carries. If he is the worst forward to play for us week in week out I'm still crying for joy.
yeh the stats are confusing, I thought he had more involvement than his stats show.

Silent Knight

First Grade
You know what guys? The best part of winning is not having to see Woosh for a week. The merkin only pops up when we lose. Hope we go the season undefeated so don't have see that loser on here...

I guess you could say he's been...flushed.

giphy.gif

I'll show myself out.

Haffa

Really 1-17 did very well, no really bad performances or top line but some were better than others. Lee, not a fan, but even without the try was very good, Glasby was very effective, Klemmer was solid, Levinprobed well. No spark from 1, 6 & 7 like we expected, Ponga quietest game. Overall a solid but uninspiring game but a win is a win. I am happy
No top line? Klemmers stats were elite. Those post contact metres are what makes him one of the best props in the game.

Defensively that was the most inspiring game we have played in years.

Haffa

You know what guys? The best part of winning is not having to see Woosh for a week. The merkin only pops up when we lose. Hope we go the season undefeated so don't have see that loser on here...
Broncos lost, Knights won and Sione was back to his best. Woosh will be crying into his XXXX

Spot On

Coach
Klemmer is like having 2 very good props in your 17. Gets across the ground very quickly, hits the line like a good prop should, makes big post contact metres. Can offload if he wants.

Then rips in when it's time defend. Lateral movement for his size is outstanding.

Can play huge minutes if necessary.

Doesnt take 10 to 12 weeks to get fit.

Brings aggression.

Leads by example.

He is everything we've ever wanted/needed in a frontrower and everything we've never had.

Freak.

With Klemmer hitting the ball up to start each set, our other props have no excuse now not to do their job better than they ever have.

If Dan and Jacob can stay on the park for long stretches and improve in all the areas Klemmer excels in .... well.... f**king hell!!!!

Knight76

Juniors
Klemmer is like having 2 very good props in your 17.

He is everything we've ever wanted/needed in a frontrower and everything we've never had.

Steady on, not sure how old you are but I lived through the Harragon and Sargent years. Never had is just not accurate.

Everything we have been crying out for, absolutely.

I was very happy with Gavet also, he plays with a lot of aggression which our pack has sorely lacked. I can see him giving away some penalties at marker though.

Heartbroken for DSaf though, he put in the hard yards over the off season and had his body in very good shape, playing weight wise to get better mobility, and really raise the bar this year. In the past he has been playing too heavy and it affected his game.

Now, he will be sitting out for likely a month which is going to hurt the momentum he carried in to round 1.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I blocked the guy a while back

Jono078

Referee
Not sure if this has been mentioned in here, but does anyone know how Moga did in reserves?

Pedge1971

First Grade
Klemmer is like having 2 very good props in your 17. Gets across the ground very quickly, hits the line like a good prop should, makes big post contact metres. Can offload if he wants.

Then rips in when it's time defend. Lateral movement for his size is outstanding.

Can play huge minutes if necessary.

Doesnt take 10 to 12 weeks to get fit.

Brings aggression.

Leads by example.

Freak.

With Klemmer hitting the ball up to start each set, our other props have no excuse now not to do their job better than they ever have.

If Dan and Jacob can stay on the park for long stretches and improve in all the areas Klemmer excels in .... well.... f**king hell!!!!

Its a shame Dan got hurt cause in the trials and for his short stint last night his effort was great. He hit the line with mkmentum.and was making good post contact metres.

I put a bit of that down to blokes lime Klemmer and Glasby working with him in pre season. Hope he is back soon.