Match Discussion: Round 14 vs Roosters @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights' started by LeagueUnlimited News, Jun 3, 2018.

?

Who will win? Round 14: Knights v Roosters

Poll closed Jun 9, 2018.
  1. Newcastle Knights 13+

25.0%
  2. Newcastle Knights 1-12

25.0%
  3. Draw after Golden Point

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sydney Roosters 1-12

12.5%
  5. Sydney Roosters 13+

37.5%
  1. perverse

perverse Referee

It's not something anyone would hold against Herman at all. Props aren't really paid to think. It was certainly dumb, though... he even had an opportunity to give it to Kalyn. That moment isn't where the game was won and lost.

Frederick and Noname36 like this.
  2. Spot On

Spot On Coach

I really think Watson is starting to work it out re attack. I can see no reason why he couldn't incorporate Keary's attacking strengths into his game if Brown structured us that way when we have the ball.

3. Noname36

Noname36 First Grade

I think getting smashed at home on Beanie for Brain Cancer round with Hughes and his family there stung them a lot from what I’ve heard. They were obviously up against it against the Sharks (literally men against boys) but they weren’t even trying to beat them...

At least they responded to it positively.

Spot On likes this.
  4. Noname36

Noname36 First Grade

I love Griffin and I think he’s really solid but our attack always seems to look flat and uncreative until Levi comes on. Just not sure we can keep carrying them both with the side already being too small.

5. Swarzey

Swarzey Bench

He's likely going over the match, second by second, writing up an academic study as to why Sione f**ked us tonight and why he'll continue to f**k us.

Knight Vision, Noname36 and Haffa like this.
  6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Bench

Just a question on Ponga’s involvement in attack. He has seemed to get the ball less since pearce has been gone, can’t really see on tv but maybe those of you who go to the games, is he trying to do more organising out the back of the play the ball? I know we can’t use him always but there seems times when we don’t use him at all when we get good attacking position.

7. Spot On

Spot On Coach

I can't see Brown changing atm though.

His pass does seem as slow as ever though. Shame. Wonder why he can't fix that up a little. No other hooker in the comp has that delay to their delivery.

Levi comes on and everything speeds up around the ruck. Opposition ruck 'd' is really put under pressure by him.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Apey and Noname36 like this.
  8. PhilGould

PhilGould Juniors

He's generally calling for the ball most plays, they just kept passing to Cogger on the other side of the field instead.

Zoidberg likes this.
  9. Frederick

Frederick Moderator Staff Member

The thing I noticed about Griffin tonight is he runs the ball really well. When Levi came on and Griffin went to his middle forward role, everytime he got the ball and ran he managed to get his body through the line and find his front for a quick play the ball.

slotmachine likes this.
  10. Frederick

Frederick Moderator Staff Member

When Lamb was at 7 and Watson was coming back from injury Ponga got the ball more than anyone. Now Lamb is gone, Cogger takes control more and Watson's growing into his role game by game which means Kalyan doesn't have to get to first receiver as often

Zoidberg likes this.
  11. Bartwah

Bartwah Juniors

Was at the game tonight, and was incredibly proud of the boys. Only gripe i have, is whenever we get a penalty, our halves take at least 30 seconds to decide what they want to do. Pearce would be screaming at players to get them where he wants them.

12. slotmachine

slotmachine Bench

Watching eels cows, absolutely useless both of them.

It's nice last week wantst just the shitty eels and we might have turned the corner

13. Noname36

Noname36 First Grade

This is the one reason I’m happy to carry 2 hookers...because Griffin can be used as an effective forward as well so it’s not like we’re losing a bench spot.

I’m happy Brown didn’t let Levi walk. We’ve invested a lot in him and he adds a lot when he comes on.

14. Noname36

Noname36 First Grade

Yeah I’ve noticed this. They don’t have a leader like they did with Pearce so they all stand around chatting about what they should do while the opposition gets to re-set.

Bartwah likes this.
  15. NK Arsenal

NK Arsenal Juniors

Sione played his best game since his first ever game in the back row tonight

Thought he was our best player on the field

16. mozza91

mozza91 Bench

He looks far more assured defending 3 in. His attack has been quite good over last 6 weeks or so. After tonight I think we need to get him a bit more early ball. Once he winds up he’s hard to stop.

NK Arsenal likes this.
  17. Noname36

Noname36 First Grade

Do you all remember when the CM ran a campaign against Ponga for weeks saying he was ruining his career signing with us rather than staying at the Cowboys? Lol

Knight Vision likes this.
  18. Mr_Knightside

Mr_Knightside Juniors

I can handle losing a game like that, we were heavily outgunned by a top side and we stuck with them for 80 minutes and almost pulled off a miracle win. Our attitude in defence was outstanding!

The two major things that have hurt us just about all season came back to bite us again. Our forward pack just isn’t big enough and we were steamrolled most of the night, also the lack of an experienced half is killing us. I wish all the best for Cogger and I really hope he makes it in the NRL but he really just isn’t a threat to the opposition defence at all, he’s slow and predictable and his kicking just isn’t up to scratch.

Sione was tough as nails tonight, his D was good and he beat about 4 defenders to score that try, also his run late in the game to set Ponga up was fantastic.

I know that Sione is more of a stop gap at centre but he’s been pretty good over the last 5-6 weeks, especially close to the line where his powerful running and ability to hit a gap puts him in a position to score tries and break the line. Some people on this forum act like he’s our biggest problem but he’s far from that.

Noname36 likes this.
  19. Burns

Burns Bench

It feels good to be annoyed/angry at that loss, because you know we could have won it. Much better than embarrassment.

Gee I hate the Roosters. Knocked us out twice at the Preliminary Finals, and JWH ended Danny Buderus's career. I can't wait for the day when we utterly destroy them.

20. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Bench

ANyone else notice in the commentary it was mentioned Sione is close to re-signing with us, and confirmed by Danny Buderus.