What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 17 vs Eels @ Bankwest Stadium

Who will win? Round 17: Wests Tigers v Eels

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Relax guys :sunglasses:

I agree.

And on the kicking issue, we need a consistently good goal kicker not a consistently poor one.

We just don’t expect them to go over these days and it’s costing us momentum and opportunities.

Maybe Thompson can kick. He’s going alright this kid.

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
These are all good points. Nofo puts in but he still dropped one ball cold. You gotta forgive him though because he always works his backside off. Thompson also plays hard even though he seems to come up with a critical dumb mistake or two each game.

Jennings is pretty close to being a write off. He just doesn't look like a first grader.

Mbye and Marsters to me both look likely without actually getting the job done. I think though taking the goal kicking duties of Marsters might help him and Mbye needs some time in the centres to see if he has the ability to fill that role.

If we could get a gun goal kicking winger to replace Jennings that would be ideal. Mbye should be kicking from now on though.

Mbye is not a centre. Takairangi got through the line for three tries yesty. The stats don’t show it but Mbye was a passenger again yesterday.

Pezz70

Juniors

Pezz70

Juniors
Marsters 65% this year, I’m tipping it’s more like 20% from outside the outside 20 metre margins.

And it would be less than 10% outside the 10 metre lines. I can’t remember the last time he got one from between the 10’and the sideline. Take it off him and let him worry about scoring some tries.

Pezz70

Juniors
I read my posts and I bag some of the Tigers players, I really think a young bloke like Marsters has the ability to be something, I really hope that he picks up back where he left off last year, there’s something going on between his ears atm, he’s not backing himself and it could be the fact that he is failing as a kicker, take that pressure off him for a month and see what happens I reckon. As for Mbye blokes with better footy brains than me see something in him, he must have something, he seems a quality lad too, there’s got to be a way through the head noise to get him playing to his full ability. Maybe give him the kicking duties in the hope that he is successful and feels
Like he is making a contribution. Confidence is a massive thing. You get those two running on all cylinders the others will come along for the ride.

WA Tiger

Bench
Marsters 65% this year, I’m tipping it’s more like 20% from outside the outside 20 metre margins.
4 from 18 from sideline..lowest in competition..that’s what Vossy said ..what’s that 22%. He said u got to get 50% of those ...He’s the authority on stats

WA Tiger

Bench
I read my posts and I bag some of the Tigers players, I really think a young bloke like Marsters has the ability to be something, I really hope that he picks up back where he left off last year, there’s something going on between his ears atm, he’s not backing himself and it could be the fact that he is failing as a kicker, take that pressure off him for a month and see what happens I reckon. As for Mbye blokes with better footy brains than me see something in him, he must have something, he seems a quality lad too, there’s got to be a way through the head noise to get him playing to his full ability. Maybe give him the kicking duties in the hope that he is successful and feels
Like he is making a contribution. Confidence is a massive thing. You get those two running on all cylinders the others will come along for the ride.
There’s not one person playing for their position. Part by design..So it ends up like the Swan river in some places where it thins out to the tributary level its Stagnant and smelly...Starting with Marsters there’s a couple that need a bit of time in the lower grades to consider things. Nofos done his time there hes hitting it up like a man possessed.

Last edited:

simmo05

Bench
Masters is a gun, we all know that. This kicking shit has to be affecting the rest of his game. The season is rooted, put someone else in to kick goals, let the young bloke concentrate on ripping in instead

WA Tiger

Bench
Masters is a gun, we all know that. This kicking shit has to be affecting the rest of his game. The season is rooted, put someone else in to kick goals, let the young bloke concentrate on ripping in instead
I think we’ve seen the last of him kicking..He’s been yanked...Mbye kicked one from the sideline

Tiger05

First Grade
Mbye is not a centre. Takairangi got through the line for three tries yesty. The stats don’t show it but Mbye was a passenger again yesterday.

Maybe but I think you are writing him off too early. He played there in SOO and did okay. Yep Takairangi scored 3 and that is poor but he was starting to run it in the 2nd half and he looked okay plus his defence there hasn't been bad.

At the moment for the balance of the team I think centre is his best spot. I'd keep him there and give it some time.

Pezz70

Juniors
Maybe but I think you are writing him off too early. He played there in SOO and did okay. Yep Takairangi scored 3 and that is poor but he was starting to run it in the 2nd half and he looked okay plus his defence there hasn't been bad.

At the moment for the balance of the team I think centre is his best spot. I'd keep him there and give it some time.

He seems to end up on his arse a lot, maybe he needs to go to aluminium studs rather than moulded cleats.

Seriously I’ve never seen a player miss so many tackles and end up having his feet sliding out from underneath him ending up on his arse. Maybe the longer sprigs would keep him on his feet (-:

I think one of his biggest dramas in the centres is not trusting his outside man , he has to realise that his job is not to worry too much about anyone else but his opposing number, make the tackle on whoever is running at him, 9/10 it’ll will get him out of trouble. My observation is that when he goes out in defence he goes way too quick and worries for his winger, (he can only tackle one player at a time) as a result he is very easily stepped, it happened in the state of origin and it happened a couple of times against Parra. It’s one of those things that is easy to stop in theory, but he has to make the mental adjustment. I agree that he has made some positive progress in attack there.

My suggestion would be to have him a bit deeper in attack. Give him another four or five steps before he hits the defensive line and to keep him straight. He really should be camped between the 10 & 20 metres in from touch lines in attack.

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
He seems to end up on his arse a lot, maybe he needs to go to aluminium studs rather than moulded cleats.

Seriously I’ve never seen a player miss so many tackles and end up having his feet sliding out from underneath him ending up on his arse. Maybe the longer sprigs would keep him on his feet (-:

I think one of his biggest dramas in the centres is not trusting his outside man , he has to realise that his job is not to worry too much about anyone else but his opposing number, make the tackle on whoever is running at him, 9/10 it’ll will get him out of trouble. My observation is that when he goes out in defence he goes way too quick and worries for his winger, (he can only tackle one player at a time) as a result he is very easily stepped, it happened in the state of origin and it happened a couple of times against Parra. It’s one of those things that is easy to stop in theory, but he has to make the mental adjustment. I agree that he has made some positive progress in attack there.

My suggestion would be to have him a bit deeper in attack. Give him another four or five steps before he hits the defensive line and to keep him straight. He really should be camped between the 10 & 20 metres in from touch lines in attack.
On that same subject of zones, our wingers seem desperate to get long kick returns back to centre field, it’s killing us. My personal thought is that they are better off running straighter and look at finishing their run 15-20 metres in from touch on the first play. I’ve been highlighting this for months, their continuing desperation to get it back in the middle of the park stops us from developing any momentum because they get dragged back 6-7m after contact. It’s is one of our biggest attack killers, it’s hard to go forward when you’re not putting the opposition defence on the back foot right from the start of the set.

I am watching the same game as Pezz.

Moses is an enormous talent, but this fine tuning as suggested will really help him.

We need more set plays and speed from dummy half.

We don’t have big boofy forwards, we just need play to mobility and deftness.