What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 18 vs Canberra @ GIO Stadium Canberra, Bruce / Ngunnawal

Who will win? Round 18: Canberra v Newcastle

• Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perverse

Referee
View attachment 90767

Opinions are like assholes haha
Yeah, and we're both old ones now mate, lol.

There's no-one that we have that's better... but for mine we're going through too many periods of games where we need an early kick for touch or to run our shapes more and we're just caught lacking every time. That period where we kept dropping the ball, just kick early. It's halfback 101. You've got less chances to drop it and the wingers aren't back. Hastings cannot steady the ship when the rudder falls off - and it's his job.

How has he not figured out some plays with KPP to produce results? He's had all year with him, and he can't figure out a wrap around with a bloke that has the ball free 9 times out of 10?

I dunno, as I said I don't think we have better than Hastings available to us, but he's just lacking in so many areas and that's before we talk about how busted his body is.

Burns

First Grade
Wait, where did Hastings move to, what position? Was at the game and didn’t realise.

Loose Cannon

Bench

There's no-one that we have that's better... but for mine we're going through too many periods of games where we need an early kick for touch or to run our shapes more and we're just caught lacking every time. That period where we kept dropping the ball, just kick early. It's halfback 101. You've got less chances to drop it and the wingers aren't back. Hastings cannot steady the ship when the rudder falls off - and it's his job.

How has he not figured out some plays with KPP to produce results? He's had all year with him, and he can't figure out a wrap around with a bloke that has the ball free 9 times out of 10?

I dunno, as I said I don't think we have better than Hastings available to us, but he's just lacking in so many areas and that's before we talk about how busted his body is.
Nobody kicks for touch anymore. Yes, it’s the right play, but you can’t blame a halfback for coaching and rule changes that disincentivises it.

Woody90

Juniors
Who the hell is going to play in the backs next week? Possible all 5 of them will be out. Marzhew looked injured.

1. Sharpe
2. *Shudder* Jenkins??
3. ? Maps
4. Lucas???
5. ? Marzhew ???? Armstrong?

macavity

Referee

I think he is basically one of us now. Can see what needs to happen, but knows he is no chance to execute. So plays within himself.

He doesn't kick early because he doesn't have much of a kick on him and he knows it. If we are stuck in our 20 and he gives it his all, we are tackling them around half way. And he knows it. So we try to get another 20 metres first.

We were fatigued AF that game. It was high paced with not many stoppages. They were all fried.

Rod

Bench
Another heartstopper but a win's a win etc and I do think we were the better side. I think the defence is pretty good, really only conceded 1 try if you discount the intercept-runaway. I also think we play our defence pretty smart, nice and physical without giving away too many penalties. Got pinged for a few 6 agains today but they're a lottery anyway.

Attack and kicking on the other hand is still a dog's breakfast. So much talent out there and KP will only get better after a run, but ineffective kicks to the wingers that we don't contest are just giving away possession cheaply.

Pryce had a bit of second game syndrome but he's a talent, not worried about him at all.

perverse

Referee
Nobody kicks for touch anymore. Yes, it’s the right play, but you can’t blame a halfback for coaching and rule changes that disincentivises it.
That's an on-the-fly decision a good halfback makes, coaching or not for mine. You're a footy player, you're an NRL halfback, sometimes you need to put your big boy pants on and call an audible. However I find it hard to believe teams are coached to not kick touch finders if the situation calls for it. It's less common these days, but you still see them every week.

I think he is basically one of us now. Can see what needs to happen, but knows he is no chance to execute. So plays within himself.

He doesn't kick early because he doesn't have much of a kick on him and he knows it. If we are stuck in our 20 and he gives it his all, we are tackling them around half way. And he knows it. So we try to get another 20 metres first.

We were fatigued AF that game. It was high paced with not many stoppages. They were all fried.
Perhaps, but if he's that cooked then he limit us moving forward. Gamble back will help paper over some cracks, but it's not like he's Cameron Munster or anything.

During that period Hastings was playing hooker

That's squarely on AOB

macavity

Referee
Who the hell is going to play in the backs next week? Possible all 5 of them will be out. Marzhew looked injured.

1. Sharpe
2. *Shudder* Jenkins??
3. ? Maps
4. Lucas???
5. ? Marzhew ???? Armstrong?

Think Marz was calf cramps so should still be ok.

Hope they don't pick Ponga or Gags, but I reckon they will.

Manly will be missing DCE, Jurbo and Ola, but still have everyone else. They should get us if we don't have Pong and Gags.

perverse

Referee
During that period Hastings was playing hooker

That's squarely on AOB
I don't really care where he was playing, he's the senior playmaker on the field. Do you think MItchell Moses would ask permission to make a play that he felt needed to be made? Ben Hunt? If he wants to hobble his ass around an NRL field every week on one leg, it would be nice if he was able to use his brain and at least make good decisions for us.

Also, I didn't count, but how many short balls did he drop off tonight rather than running the ball out the back? How many sets did we watch Ponga screaming for the ball and not getting it?

Again I sound like i'm beating up on him more than I intend to just because I'm reponding to a few posts, there are things he does do well and periods of the game he controls well too. I just feel like it really is his job out there to provide our direction, and when we go for long periods of games without it, he needs to shoulder some responsibility for that surely.

Burwood

Bench
It’s alarming how many times the ball ends up in the hands of someone like Jones when Ponga is out the back waiting for it.

Can’t blame Hastings for not kicking for touch though- all that does is give the Canberra forwards time to amble back and a play-the-ball from the center of the field.

Alex28

Coach
AOB playing 4D chess with no-one by completely changing 1/2 our spine around in the 2nd 40 was some of the worst coaching I've seen in a long time

Completely unnecessary and nearly cost us
There was a reason - the hooker needed a break.

so, who was the best option at hooker - Hastings or Sharpe?

Loose Cannon

Bench
That's an on-the-fly decision a good halfback makes, coaching or not for mine. You're a footy player, you're an NRL halfback, sometimes you need to put your big boy pants on and call an audible. However I find it hard to believe teams are coached to not kick touch finders if the situation calls for it. It's less common these days, but you still see them every week.

I agree totally.

Different scenario, but if you can find one instance of a captain/leader selecting the option to take the two +4/-8 in range, without a signal from the coaches box (sans Cameron Smith), it would be refreshing.

Game is much worse for it.

Latest posts