What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 20 vs Cowboys @ Leichhardt Oval

Who will win? Round 20: Wests Tigers v Cowboys

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Queensland Cowboys 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tigerm

First Grade
Interesting, when they gave Benji the MoM, he stated that he hasn't decided if he will play on next year and will make the decision in a couple of weeks. Wouldn't be surprised if it will be the Manly game week, just to add a bit more emotion to the team.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
It was a great win, but the cowgirls put in a reserve grade performance. In the press conference after the game Paul Green was having a sook about the two disallowed tries, claiming that made his boys lose confidence.

Remember the last time we played (and beat) the Cows a few weeks back. Green, the biggest sook in the league, travelled all the way to Sydney to appear on NRL360 to have a whinge about a ref's decision in the game. He's a bad sport and myth of a coach. The Cows should punt him.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Remember the last time we played (and beat) the Cows a few weeks back. Green, the biggest sook in the league, travelled all the way to Sydney to appear on NRL360 to have a whinge about a ref's decision in the game. He's a bad sport and myth of a coach. The Cows should punt him.

He should be picking up empties at Jupiters Townsville!

As Mary McGregor said regarding Green..”he should zip it”
He is virtually a whinging little garden gnome who finds fault in everything that doesn’t go his way.

Tiger05

First Grade
As Mary McGregor said regarding Green..”he should zip it”
He is virtually a whinging little garden gnome who finds fault in everything that doesn’t go his way.

I re watched that no try decision and I think it was the right decision.

Green hasn’t be re-signed as far as I know.

I agree that too many coaches are making excuses now. I can understand a legitimate whinge about a decision that cost the side a game ( with no fine ) but apart from that, people just tune out and it makes the whinging coach look ordinary.

Griffin or Toovey to head north unless the saints snap up one of them.

Madge is usually very measured at press conferences. The way the side is playing, you can tell that he has a real bond with the players and they trust him. That’s why our defence is standing up.

On its day, it’s almost impossible to score against a Madge coached side. The defence is layered and close to inch perfect in position.

The matches I have seen this year, execution has been a bigger issue more than our broad defensive posture.

Our little fullback has been extraordinary. He keeps answering questions posed. I’ve played footy as a youngster and tammers would have run over me without so much as a bump. Not quite complete, but that was tackle of the year.

Courageous and had Madge written all over it.

The other thing about it, is once you know you can stop the biggest and most powerful player in the game, hurtling at you with speed like a freight train, your confidence and self belief as a rugby league footballer ratchets up 400 notches.

You have proven that you can dominate and neutralise any player in the nrl.

You are the lion of the den defensively. As a fullback, that is holy grail of your primary objective.

That’s a big deal gentlemen and ladies...that is elite.

We are in a good place when individuals are playing well beyond their known capabilities. It’s got a nice finals feel about it.

Thompson is the real deal.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Green hasn’t be re-signed as far as I know.

I agree that too many coaches are making excuses now. I can understand a legitimate whinge about a decision that cost the side a game ( with no fine ) but apart from that, people just tune out and it makes the whinging coach look ordinary.

Griffin or Toovey to head north unless the saints snap up one of them.

Madge is usually very measured at press conferences. The way the side is playing, you can tell that he has a real bond with the players and they trust him. That’s why our defence is standing up.

On its day, it’s almost impossible to score against a Madge coached side. The defence is layered and close to inch perfect in position.

The matches I have seen this year, execution has been a bigger issue more than our broad defensive posture.

Our little fullback has been extraordinary. He keeps answering questions posed. I’ve played footy as a youngster and tammers would have run over me without so much as a bump. Not quite complete, but that was tackle of the year.

Courageous and had Madge written all over it.

The other thing about it, is once you know you can stop the biggest and most powerful player in the game, hurtling at you with speed like a freight train, your confidence and self belief as a rugby league footballer ratchets up 400 notches.

You have proven that you can dominate and neutralise any player in the nrl.

You are the lion of the den defensively. As a fullback, that is holy grail of your primary objective.

That’s a big deal gentlemen and ladies...that is elite.

We are in a good place when individuals are playing well beyond their known capabilities. It’s got a nice finals feel about it.

I feel for the coaches, the pressure must be immense when your side starts losing, bad decisions can end careers, though I do think Green is off the mark with a lot of his comments.

I did mention that tackle previously, anyone would be shitting bricks with Taumalolo running at you at full pace, it was pure courage to stand there and stop him.

I thought we were gone a few weeks back, but the barstards are showing some spirit and making me believe that they are a chance for the 8. Though we have been here before.

I feel for the coaches, the pressure must be immense when your side starts losing, bad decisions can end careers, though I do think Green is off the mark with a lot of his comments.

I did mention that tackle previously, anyone would be shitting bricks with Taumalolo running at you at full pace, it was pure courage to stand there and stop him.

I thought we were gone a few weeks back, but the barstards are showing some spirit and making me believe that they are a chance for the 8. Though we have been here before.

Back in the day, im playing in the centres and the giant forward sized Italian winger has come inside and is running at me. I choked and moved to my right a bit and threw an arm out but he got through pretty easily. The cover came across.

So I am watching Corey in the replay and he undoes my past cowardice.

I was copping some on the field but the skipper showed some leadership and gave me a get out of gaol free card and stuck up for me:

“Ow many of you merkins would have tackled him?”

I copped a nice full on kick in the face once. I think I saw grasshoppers in a meadow. That was mildly unpleasant.

Ahh memories!

So I have a lot of time for nrl players and their bravery. They are very tough blokes.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade

He is really good but let's not gloss over the fact that he can improve a lot. That mistake when he put the ball into touch on the 30 metre line to me shows that he is still learning. He might have played fullback in the past but at NRL level you will get put under a lot more pressure.

I would definitely keep him there and I think Mbye is playing really well in the centres as well but Thompson can improve mainly by minimizing some of the mistakes in his game.

WA Tiger

Bench
He is really good but let's not gloss over the fact that he can improve a lot. That mistake when he put the ball into touch on the 30 metre line to me shows that he is still learning. He might have played fullback in the past but at NRL level you will get put under a lot more pressure.

I would definitely keep him there and I think Mbye is playing really well in the centres as well but Thompson can improve mainly by minimizing some of the mistakes in his game.
I think everyone is going to have pet players and as maddening as that can be it’s not going to change. Everyone has a picture of what they want in a player in each position and some are more perfectionists in there picture than others..I’d keep him there too..He prob could have wacked that ball in field a bit harder as he stepped over the sideline..if it’s the same one your referring to but that was a really unfortunate bounce ..half way through it the positioning of the ball the direction it was heading in all said it was safe but it changed its mind ...There is a slow mo of it that catches all that..The fact - I think - it wasn’t going to be a 40/20 was the mistake he prob should have known..ps see the warriors dropped their bundle after last week who could blame them..

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I think everyone is going to have pet players and as maddening as that can be it’s not going to change. Everyone has a picture of what they want in a player in each position and some are more perfectionists in there picture than others..I’d keep him there too..He prob could have wacked that ball in field a bit harder as he stepped over the sideline..if it’s the same one your referring to but that was a really unfortunate bounce ..half way through it the positioning of the ball the direction it was heading in all said it was safe but it changed its mind ...There is a slow mo of it that catches all that..The fact - I think - it wasn’t going to be a 40/20 was the mistake he prob should have known..ps see the warriors dropped their bundle after last week who could blame them..
I remember when Lockyer started his international career with a full head of hair he had a succession of loss causing blunders against NZ that seemingly no one else could make ...good for me then but lucky we held onto him ey

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Can't remember, some time in the first half between the first and second tries I think.

I don't think it was major, basically both trying to push each other out of the way at dummy half after a quick play the ball.

Benji won the push and shove though.
Cheers for that I’ll find it on my day off on Monday..wouldn’t miss that for the world..I was thinking Mbye the Leo - king of the jungle Lion May have launched into Benji the sensitive Pisces coz he’s the boss but thinking about it I could easily imagine just when Mbye thought he had it won Benji The Maori warrior prob snuck in a Get fked ...at the end of their tiff.if it was as bad as u guys say...What could Mbye say to that ..Leo’s literally rule the roost and are amazing communicators they can spend a lot of their younger years angry and in fist fights but once an adult they can control themselves very well..

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Did anybody else think Benji was MOM last night....Because that's who channel 9 gave it to.
Don't get me wrong I love Benji but he was not MOM last night. Probably wouldn't have been in my top 3.
When he saw Fittler walking toward him in the shed after the game envelope in hand Benji said "That can't be for me...who decided it" - Fittler answered "Joey"!
Seriously - I don't know what they are watching sometimes!
Joeys full of it he picked the cowboys to win ...he never picks us ...that no look short pass to Marsters for the try would have done it for him ...having been in the halves himself ....I worked last night so I can’t remember but I don’t think he should have been..Ill guess and say Matterson ...he seemed to be gaining massive post contact metres I wouldn’t mind seeing that stat..who do u think?

Last edited:

super_coach

First Grade
One thing I do agree with Green is, a couple of bad calls can turn a match. Time and time again I have seen us dominate a game only to get a bad call and everything turns sour. Heads go down and confidence goes out the window.

In saying that the Cows were Cleary out played in all departments on Thursday night