What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 23 vs Panthers @ Panthers Stadium

Who will win? Round 23: Panthers v Knights

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zoidberg

First Grade
0 dropped balls and a few decent passes so it's an improvement for King.

Think Brown would be happy with Levi's composure today. Didn't play as selfish as he normally does.
For King, 28 tackles and 0 dropped balls makes it maybe his best game.

Levi, still had a few runs that weren’t on but keeping the markers guessing is good. He is definitely improving and gets us moving forward quickly.

Yosh

Coach
Great win but Penrith made it easy for us.

If I didn't see the game but heard two of our guys got sin binned for fighting, I would have guessed SKD and Levi haha.

I wish we had Pearce for the whole season... We have the worst metres gained and most metres conceded in the comp... His kick metres are worth their metres in gold.

Ponga and Meaney looked good. So glad we won't have to see Lamb or Cogger no more for the season at least. I really wish Meaney could stay...

macavity

Referee
Just finished watching the game, a few thoughts:
* king was actually a contributor. Good in D and a lot of off the ball / link man play in attack.
* Ponga is a better 1 than 6. Over plays his hand a little and we miss his “extra man” plays. Very small sample size of course. I don’t like him tackling so much either :flushed:
* Meaney is first grade quality. It’s one of the many curses we suffer - always have two good players come through in the same spine position (O’Davis/Ross, Johns/Kimmorley, Buderus/Ennis, now seemingly Ponga/Meaney)
* Penrith treated us with contempt. A few teams always do (Sharks, Broncos, Storm) but it’s nice to get over one of them for once in those circumstances.
* we are still two props and a back rower from competing in September.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Just finished watching the game, a few thoughts:

* Ponga is a better 1 than 6. Over plays his hand a little and we miss his “extra man” plays. Very small sample size of course. I don’t like him tackling so much either :flushed:.

“Overplayed” is exactly my words for his game today. Don’t get me wrong, he still supplied some magic, but there was some ordinary there too.

I think the current game offers a much longer leash at fullback than what will be expected at 6, and I really want to see Watson be given the chance to prove himself with Pearce. If he doesn’t work out, we’re still in a great position if the switch is necessary.

Swarzey

Bench
First game I've missed all year and it sounds like they put in a pretty great performance. I'm not surprised, Penrith have been woeful this past month.

Hopefully I can catch a replay soon of it. Nice to see this forum not on suicide watch.

Got to agree with what a lot of you lot have said. We looked hapless in attack but to your credit you defended very well. Wrapped up Kikau and Blake and we had very little.

Knight Vision

First Grade
:rolling_eyes: was it that bad really?
nope, it's just another example of mismanagement of the game. One of the worst rules ( if not the worst ) to come into the game in recent memory. Pandering to the PC crowd " soccer mums blah blah.

The public love a spectacle, love the aggression, love the violent nature of the game. There's a reason MMA is the fastest growing sport in the world, there's a reason why the brawls features in most of Rugby Leagues advertising for many years- we love it and without it the games far less enjoyable,

Misanthrope

Staff member
My Panfers supporting cousin has been all up in my status about yesterday's game saying we were constantly offside.

Was I watching a different game? Or did I just not notice this blatant and vile bending of the rules?

Zoidberg

First Grade
My Panfers supporting cousin has been all up in my status about yesterday's game saying we were constantly offside.

Was I watching a different game? Or did I just not notice this blatant and vile bending of the rules?
Difficult to tell unless you’re at the game, but the Panthers seemed to be in our face quicker than we were in theirs

Yosh

Coach
nope, it's just another example of mismanagement of the game. One of the worst rules ( if not the worst ) to come into the game in recent memory. Pandering to the PC crowd " soccer mums blah blah.

The public love a spectacle, love the aggression, love the violent nature of the game. There's a reason MMA is the fastest growing sport in the world, there's a reason why the brawls features in most of Rugby Leagues advertising for many years- we love it and without it the games far less enjoyable,

I agree. Player protection is important but I'm yet to see a player get seriously injured due to a brawl. The five minutes after a brawl used to be some of the best rugby league to watch.

Getting rid of shoulder charges was unfortunate but it does protect players so a good call there.

What is up with giving a penalty for any tackle that is longer than 3 seconds? And the insane amount of sin bins?

macavity

Referee
I agree. Player protection is important but I'm yet to see a player get seriously injured due to a brawl. The five minutes after a brawl used to be some of the best rugby league to watch.

Getting rid of shoulder charges was unfortunate but it does protect players so a good call there.

What is up with giving a penalty for any tackle that is longer than 3 seconds? And the insane amount of sin bins?

Yet they turn a blind eye to most of the disgraceful stuff the storm carry on with.

Still Nutty

Juniors
What really p!$$e$ me off if the fact that our halves seem to regularly get smashed with impunity (both late and high) and yet we had Herman have to take a week for a waist tackle on a kicker 4-5 weeks ago that shouldn't have warranted penalty, let alone time on the sideline IMHO?!

Although, I have also seen Thurston smashed late in the back by dog shots a couple of times this season and the penalty is very dependent on who you are and who you play for.

Just for he record, for the intent and total lack of care for the potential damage that could have caused, the tackle by Chambers on the weekend deserved 6-8 weeks for mine

Latest posts