What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 24 vs Cronulla @ PointsBet Stadium, Woolooware / Dharawal

Who will win? Round 24: Cronulla v Newcastle

• Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 13+

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perverse

Referee
A few disorganised thoughts...

- McCarthy - shaky start but came good. Already a better option than Maps, which is encouraging. Made a lot of great tackles on Ramien.
- Crossland - worst game since the dark years. Truly shithouse.
- What's happened to Leo? 6 runs for 37 metres... throw in 6 missed tackles and 3 ineffective for good measure. Terrible tonight.
- Friz is a hero without a cape.
- Kalyn still struggling to get involved in matches, has a lot to do with those around him, but for 1.4m - you have to be the man.
- Hetherington is a big dumb idiot, and our second worst offender tonight after Phoenix
- We have no halfback.
- Adam Elliott has been great for us lately and was huge tonight. Didn't do as well as a distributer, but took a lot of tough carries and made good contact in D.
- Brodie Jones is not much of a footballer.
- Challenging kicks is a good thing and we should have been doing it since forever.
- Gags was huge but god he'd want that last linebreak he made back again.

PhilGould

Bench
AOB gets a bit fired up in the presser, specifically about the Crossland binning and field goal penalties. Can't remember seeing him react like that before, generally very reserved and cliched.

perverse

Referee
AOB gets a bit fired up in the presser, specifically about the Crossland binning and field goal penalties. Can't remember seeing him react like that before, generally very reserved and cliched.
The emotion of the year being over combined with the conviction one has when the calls were so obviously and blatently dubious. Glad he let rip but it won't change a thing so it's pointless.

mozza91

Coach
He has every right to.

I don’t rate him as a coach and would be happy to get rid of him tomorrow but we don’t lose that game with competent officials even with our own dumb errors.

Alex28

Coach
*The assistant coach Brian McDermott
*Madge
( my previous first choice Flannagan now has the saints going well)
McDermott isn’t here for the long haul.

Madge was terrible at the Tigers, and won an Origin series with the calibre of a team we will never have.

Flanagan is a systematic cheat. I’d rather be mediocre than cheat our way to a premiership.

Apey

Staff member
Meh at half time I watched the Crossland bin again and I thought it was fair enough. Crossland was pinged 20 seconds earlier for the exact same thing, on almost the exact same blade of grass. If it was for repeated offences as a team it would have been a joke. But it was literally the same player taking the piss.

The field goal incident, yeah. That should have been a penalty to us.

perverse

Referee
And was warned by the ref. Absolutely had the bin coming.

Sutton being more interested in blockers than keeping the defence onside was very ordinary.
I'm a bit half half on the Crossland binning... and i'd need the facts cleared up a bit first. AOB said in the presser that it was the 3rd infraction by us in the entire game to that point. If that's the case, and Phoenix got a warning on what was essentially our second infraction of the half - well i'd argue he should have just been pinged for 6 again in the first place and not warned... because the ref has backed himself into a corner where he kinda has to bin a bloke after warning him, but it's literally only the 3rd one at the end of a whole half of football.

Long story short, I'd like to know how many infractions there were prior and leading into it. It feels like Sutton didn't want to give a "pointless" 6 again with little time on the clock, but then had to double down after "letting Phoenix off light" the first time. All in all it felt like a blunder to me in the moment, but we managed the period when Phoenix was off fantastically anyway so it's largely a moot point. The far more egregious offence was definitely the offside at the field goal attempt.

McDermott isn’t here for the long haul.
how do you know? I'd say he is wanting a head coaching role.

Madge was terrible at the Tigers, and won an Origin series with the calibre of a team we will never have.
he wasnt terrible - the Tigers management was. Knights management is woeful but not Tigers woeful ( it is why I do give some slack to AOB - our management sucks )

Flanagan is a systematic cheat. I’d rather be mediocre than cheat our way to a premiership.
How so? Any worse than 2 contract, boat in the shed, serial cap cheating Bellamy ?

Great Coach . I like winning - mediocre is not acceptable.

Yosh

Coach
AOB needs to go. You need to take some risks to win a Premiership but he looks like he is only trying to make the 8 every year.

Really happy with Sharpe and McCarthy. Definitely did not need Jenkins...

Friz is great but I think he should take either Hetherington's or Brodie's role in the middle. Get KPP on the right, play Lucas on the left and McCarthy as our reserve outside back.

Ponga
Sharpe
Gagai
Best
Marzhew
Pryce
Gamble
Saifiti
Crossland
Frizz
KPP
Lucas
Elliot

Brailey
Croker
Thompson
Cant
Su'a
Jones

We definitely need to sign some better middle forwards.

Woody90

Juniors
Old AOB missing the point, cynical professional foul. It's like holding down after a line break, irrelevant how many infractions there have been.
Yeah I don’t know why he kept going on about the sin bin. To me it was pretty clear and we were better while Crossland was off the field.

edit - probably trying to deflect attention off the fact that our seasons done and questions are warranted regarding how he’s taken our attack from first to last in one season with his tactics and all of the spine changes. I really wish the journos asked questions about that instead.

Haffa

Yeah I don’t know why he kept going on about the sin bin. To me it was pretty clear and we were better while Crossland was off the field.

edit - probably trying to deflect attention off the fact that our seasons done and questions are warranted regarding how he’s taken our attack from first to last in one season with his tactics and all of the spine changes. I really wish the journos asked questions about that instead.
Willie Peters

mozza91

Coach
It was lucky to be a penalty let alone a sin bin. How we did when he was off doesn’t make it any less of a terrible call.

Apey

Staff member
I'm a bit half half on the Crossland binning... and i'd need the facts cleared up a bit first. AOB said in the presser that it was the 3rd infraction by us in the entire game to that point. If that's the case, and Phoenix got a warning on what was essentially our second infraction of the half - well i'd argue he should have just been pinged for 6 again in the first place and not warned... because the ref has backed himself into a corner where he kinda has to bin a bloke after warning him, but it's literally only the 3rd one at the end of a whole half of football.

Long story short, I'd like to know how many infractions there were prior and leading into it. It feels like Sutton didn't want to give a "pointless" 6 again with little time on the clock, but then had to double down after "letting Phoenix off light" the first time. All in all it felt like a blunder to me in the moment, but we managed the period when Phoenix was off fantastically anyway so it's largely a moot point. The far more egregious offence was definitely the offside at the field goal attempt.
I think the sinbin was fair in hindsight but I also find it very hard to believe one of the big clubs would have someone binned for it.