What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 14 vs Melbourne @ AAMI Park, Melbourne / Wurundjeri

Who will win? Round 14: Melbourne v Newcastle

• Melbourne Storm 13+

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Melbourne Storm 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nuke

Staff member
0 set restarts for us. Plenty of occasions where Storm were doing to us what we did to them in the first half and the set got restarted for them.

Grid Iron season for at least one of their tries.

I really want Marzhew to be an awesome player for us. I truly do. He is getting so much harder for me to defend though, which is ironic I suppose, because he seems to be easier to defend against for the opposition.

I'm not upset at the effort levels today. Disappointed we couldn't just go a bit better and get the win, but the effort was there.

Woody90

Juniors
Thought the halves were a lot better from what I saw.

Different wingers and obviously a different ref and we probably win pretty comfortably. Shame we couldn’t get Schiller early as Marzhew deserves a stint in NSW Cup like Dom last year.

Loved KPP’s offload creating a try. Maybe AOB has decided to let him use it.

Zoidberg

First Grade
How was Frizzel given a sin bin at the end?
It didn’t make a difference but I thought it was 50/50 in even being a penalty, but not gonna argue it was one.
He didn’t change his line, he didn’t make a tackle, just a collision.
Whatever. Sums up our day really.

Joel-22

Juniors
Would anyone be interested to see how Phoenix would go after a big pre-season training for lock? I think it could be his position. He is genuinely the hardest tackler in our side, gets through a mountain of work, is mobile, can pass, has good leg speed for a middle.
Moving forward I’d be very comfortable with a long-term back row of:

11. Kai Pearce Paul
12. Dylan Lucas
13. Phoenix Crossland

Outside of KP, Leo and the older guys we all love (Gags, Friz), I wouldn’t be too upset if they all moved on. Am I missing anyone? I’d love the safs to play with 1/3 of Crossland’s heart, but I’m sick of the inconsistency in effort areas

Joel-22

Juniors
Happily, I don’t suffer from the dunning-Kruger effect when it comes to how I think of my own knowledge of rugby league. So this is a genuine call for answers: why is it that we get steam rolled every week? We seem to be the weakest and least physical side in the competition. I’m never worried about how the other team’s back 5 are going to outclass ours on the back of a slick backline movement. No, every week I look at how they are going to make 70ms a set from 1 out runs and dummy half scoots. What’s doing? Can someone explain lol

Loose Cannon

Bench
Would anyone be interested to see how Phoenix would go after a big pre-season training for lock? I think it could be his position. He is genuinely the hardest tackler in our side, gets through a mountain of work, is mobile, can pass, has good leg speed for a middle.
Moving forward I’d be very comfortable with a long-term back row of:

11. Kai Pearce Paul
12. Dylan Lucas
13. Phoenix Crossland

Outside of KP, Leo and the older guys we all love (Gags, Friz), I wouldn’t be too upset if they all moved on. Am I missing anyone? I’d love the safs to play with 1/3 of Crossland’s heart, but I’m sick of the inconsistency in effort areas
He clowns Elliot’s efforts by a light year.

Yosh

Coach
Delete around 6 or 7 minutes of that game and we would have won by 20. Constant theme with the Knights. Try our hearts out for 70 minutes but let in a bunch of stupid tries and lose the game. Was fun though.

Why don't we start throwing the ball around when we aren't 20 behind on the scoreboard? If we play more expansive I have no doubt we win more games. Just give the ball early to Gagai and Best like today. Get some offloads away before the 70th minute etc.

Very happy we came home strong. I hope we sign an upgrade on Elliot because we aren't getting value for money there. Maybe someone a little older but offers leadership and direction to our forward pack which is pretty soft if that's the right word.

Old dog

Bench
Why doesn’t Crosslands kick, is a big kicker and if playing 6, 9 or 13 can be positioned for the kick

slotmachine

First Grade
Our halves were better but our long kicking game remains awful. It's a really big problem against sides good at the grind and costs us field position nearly every set

Yep, Storm regularly having their first tackle on their 30m line or further, we were coming off the try line.

Just highlights a lot of the value of a Cleary or Moses who can kick the absolute piss out of the ball.

Latest posts