What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 24 vs Dragons @ Sydney Cricket Ground

Who will win? Round 24: Dragons v Wests Tigers

• St George Illawarra Dragons 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St George Illawarra Dragons 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vozzy

Juniors
When I look at the dragons team it makes me feel better knowing a team with 3 origin players and 2 England internationals. Also Ben hunt could play aswell are doing so much worse then us. Kinda like last week the Knights had about 4-5 origin players. Just goes to show that having superstars doesn't mean much.

Love how Madge's mind set coming to the tigers was to turn the roster he was given into a top 8 team rather than using excuses like I inherited the team.

Yes us supporters know we don't have a tedasco or t/jurbo kinda players but even Frizzel kinda does a Gagai that without other stars looks no better then our so called plodders.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
When I look at the dragons team it makes me feel better knowing a team with 3 origin players and 2 England internationals. Also Ben hunt could play aswell are doing so much worse then us. Kinda like last week the Knights had about 4-5 origin players. Just goes to show that having superstars doesn't mean much.

Love how Madge's mind set coming to the tigers was to turn the roster he was given into a top 8 team rather than using excuses like I inherited the team.

Yes us supporters know we don't have a tedasco or t/jurbo kinda players but even Frizzel kinda does a Gagai that without other stars looks no better then our so called plodders.

Madge gets very little credit for always refusing to make excuses, no matter how bad we've played. Almost all other coaches do this. 'It's the roster I inherited, I need a couple of years to reshape it' kind of excuses. It's great to see, and if he gets us into the finals this season (with an ordinary roster with plenty of injuries) it will be a tremendous success.

WA Tiger

Bench
Seriously? Momo missed a crucial kick against the dogs but give the boy a break it was his first time kicking in NRL, he was put on the spot after Mbye went down early, and he kicked pretty well against the knights. He is improving every week.i think he is on his way
You know what pressure does to a kicker Pezz ..its makes a world of difference ...That was an easy kick and it wasn’t even close...That wasn’t his first kick iether..so he should have had some Rhythym by then....When it’s a kick to save the game and it’s full time I don’t want him there

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
To be honest, this is basically the semi-final, with Sharks game being the Grand Final. If we win both of these it will be like we won the comp that was available to us, any games further than that are just bonus rounds.

I know people will say that we should be playing like we could win the grand final, but with our roster and the amount of injuries its simply not going to happen.

But getting into the 8 means everything:
- We break the label of "team longest to not play finals"
- It proves that Madge knows exactly what the f**k he is doing and makes our club more attractive to players off contract
- It inspires the boys who were largely seen as reserve graders, that despite all the "big name" players that have played for our club, they were the ones who were able to break our finals drought. Not Tedesco, not Woods, and especially not Bitch Poses
Before you all start celebrating us getting into the 8 ...If we lose iether of the next two games against potentially tough opposition none of that apples we miss out on the 8 and all we got from Madge is very questionable decisions with players and goal kickers being moved on way to late ...and still in the “possible dud coach” category ..It’s also possible last week was a one off with Benji having created all but one of the tries...If he has an average day then it’s all back to Boo Hoo city...

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
McGregor will be up for this one with Benji in the opposition and him letting Benji go...and because of the shit that likely went down between them.. And because he knows Benji will be up for this one because he’s the coach...player for player I’d pick the dragons to win everyday of the week and twice on sundays ..so I hope your theory’s hold up this Sunday

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Before you all start celebrating us getting into the 8 ...If we lose iether of the next two games against potentially tough opposition none of that apples we miss out on the 8 and all we got from Madge is very questionable decisions with players and goal kickers being moved on way to late ...and still in the “possible dud coach” category ..It’s also possible last week was a one off with Benji having created all but one of the tries...If he has an average day then it’s all back to Boo Hoo city...

I disagree with this.

I think Madge has made great decisions all year. It's important for Benji to fire for us primarily because he is our most creative attacking player. Brooks is good as well though. He has made lots of good and tough decisions. Not playing Reynolds & Packer. Moving Matterson to the middle. Trusting Chee-Kam off the bench. Relying on Benji and Brooks. The re-signing of players like Chee-Kam, Aloiai, Mikaele, Thompson and Liddle.

I think all of those decisions have been good decisions no matter the result at the end of the year.

I think we are unlikely to make the finals but I think we have a coach that could get us to perform in the finals.

axl rose

Bench
Before you all start celebrating us getting into the 8 ...If we lose iether of the next two games against potentially tough opposition

Im much more confident is us beating the Sharks. Hot-headed team full of selfish individual players and Gallen plays like Betty White these days. Have a bad feeling about this Illawarra socks game though, maybe just Tigers fan paranoia.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I disagree with this.

I think Madge has made great decisions all year. It's important for Benji to fire for us primarily because he is our most creative attacking player. Brooks is good as well though. He has made lots of good and tough decisions. Not playing Reynolds & Packer. Moving Matterson to the middle. Trusting Chee-Kam off the bench. Relying on Benji and Brooks. The re-signing of players like Chee-Kam, Aloiai, Mikaele, Thompson and Liddle.

I think all of those decisions have been good decisions no matter the result at the end of the year.

I think we are unlikely to make the finals but I think we have a coach that could get us to perform in the finals.
. All those decisions you mentioned were easy decisions...Leaving Mbye at fullback until round 16 instead of centre where he played all his Junior league... leaving Jennings on the wing until round 20 Leaving Marsters kicking until round 20, not bringing Nofo our equal best player into the team until round 10 ..As Simmo said if not for these dumb coaching decisions we would have likely won those 1-2 point losses and been entrenched in the 8 by now ...We all had those WTF moments week after week re Madges selections...It’s all about making the 8 I’m afraid everything else is all talk

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
And leaving Marsters on the field all year despite his running into the line backwards sissy crap and Momo just sitting on the sidelines all year...

Tiger05

First Grade
. All those decisions you mentioned were easy decisions...Leaving Mbye at fullback until round 16 instead of centre where he played all his Junior league... leaving Jennings on the wing until round 20 Leaving Marsters kicking until round 20, not bringing Nofo our equal best player into the team until round 10 ..As Simmo said if not for these dumb coaching decisions we would have likely won those 1-2 point losses and been entrenched in the 8 by now ...We all had those WTF moments week after week re Madges selections...It’s all about making the 8 I’m afraid everything else is all talk

How many people didn't want Nofo in the team - I remember a lot hating on him ? Who thought of moving Matterson into the middle or Mbye to centre ? Who would have picked Benji and Brooks and not Reynolds ? Who would have sacked Packer ?

I think that these are all tough decisions that not many on here thought were good ideas prior to them happening.

The goal kicking was a problem but I get trying to have confidence in the kicker.

I reckon Madge has been good. You might have come up with all the right decisions but I don't remember many on here backing up Nofo, Benji and Brooks or stating move Matterson to the middle of Mbye to the centres. Lots didn't want Nofo here.

Tiger05

First Grade
And leaving Marsters on the field all year despite his running into the line backwards sissy crap and Momo just sitting on the sidelines all year...

Marsters has been crap but do we have better options ? I just don't think sacking Marsters is the right short term decision. I can understand trying to upgrade that spot but I don't think it's that simple.

WA Tiger

Bench
How many people didn't want Nofo in the team - I remember a lot hating on him ? Who thought of moving Matterson into the middle or Mbye to centre ? Who would have picked Benji and Brooks and not Reynolds ? Who would have sacked Packer ?

I think that these are all tough decisions that not many on here thought were good ideas prior to them happening.

The goal kicking was a problem but I get trying to have confidence in the kicker.

I reckon Madge has been good. You might have come up with all the right decisions but I don't remember many on here backing up Nofo, Benji and Brooks or stating move Matterson to the middle of Mbye to the centres. Lots didn't want Nofo here.
Your not completely wrong I guess but I love your tactfulness ...Bravo...

Pezz70

Juniors
You know what pressure does to a kicker Pezz ..its makes a world of difference ...That was an easy kick and it wasn’t even close...That wasn’t his first kick iether..so he should have had some Rhythym by then....When it’s a kick to save the game and it’s full time I don’t want him there

Put yourself in his position, a little anecdote perhaps? Let’s say you’re at work accompanying the boss to a presentation, the boss all of a sudden gets called somewhere else and leaves you to do the speech on the spur of the moment. All of a sudden the pressures on, it becomes a very tough gig, then compare it to the boss knows four weeks in advance he can’t attend and he gives the job to you, you get a chance to prepare and your mind has been on the job for a few weeks before your presentation. You’re ready.

And now , so is Momo

Pezz70

Juniors
Marsters has been crap but do we have better options ? I just don't think sacking Marsters is the right short term decision. I can understand trying to upgrade that spot but I don't think it's that simple.

I’ve seen glimpses of him hitting some form the last couple of weeks.

WA Tiger

Bench
Put yourself in his position, a little anecdote perhaps? Let’s say you’re at work accompanying the boss to a presentation, the boss all of a sudden gets called somewhere else and leaves you to do the speech on the spur of the moment. All of a sudden the pressures on, it becomes a very tough gig, then compare it to the boss knows four weeks in advance he can’t attend and he gives the job to you, you get a chance to prepare and your mind has been on the job for a few weeks before your presentation. You’re ready.

And now , so is Momo
Yea ok I’m open to that ...If he’s faced with the match winning/losing kick against dragons or sharks I’ll be thinking of u..Mbye will be back soon

Latest posts