What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 25 vs Panthers @ Panthers Stadium

Who will win? Round 25: Panthers v Knights

• Penrith Panthers 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reflector

Juniors
What I'd be doing is researching what the average Newcastle 1st grade player got paid a season in the clubs' formative years. Then share that with the team, let it sink in that those guys were (virtually) all part-timers who also worked a regular job. Get some of those "old boys" in to share stories about the culture of those early teams and how it manifested on the field (like that story Matty Johns told about the player with the shattered testicle who stayed in the defending line the full set). Get, say:

Joey Johns
The Chief
Tony Butterfield
Mark Sargent
Danny Buderus
Billy Peden

Have players like that on a rotating roster, and through the season they take it in turns to spend a week with the team- at training, speaking with them after training, before the game etc. talking about the culture that was instilled in the team, sharing stories from their playing days that reflect that culture, explaining how and why the home ground was a fortress etc. Because along with St George, I can't think of another team in the NRL who appear to have strayed further from the original values that once made them a successful and relevant club.

Knight76

Juniors
https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2019/09/09/star-toas-emotional-nrl-jersey-presentation/

the result is all the more disappointing after watching the kids reaction to his first grade debut.

His team mates should be ashamed of themselves.

I'm sure Best had a similar presentation a few weeks prior.

Honestly, the team should be very, very ashamed of what they dished up in these two games.

Over these past few years of winning spoons I never once felt embarrassed to be a knights fan. I can't say the same for the back half of this season. Just a calamity is the only way to describe it. Horrendous.

Jono078

Referee
Man that's actually hard to watch after knowing the effort that was put in.

Bitterly disappointing.

I hate the Storm, but man they do special occasions better than anyone else and I hope OBrien can bring that sort of culture to us.

betcats

Referee
spare a thought for Star Toa, his debut game in the NRL. A dream come true for the young fella and his team mates introduce him to first grade in that manner.

Not only do they have no respect for themselves no respect for the club but no respect for their team mates. The clubs leadership and culture must suck.

Can hold his head high, looks promising.

Something drastic has happened in the playing group at the knights imo. You don’t go from playing so well to producing that shit just because of form or injuries.

Latest posts