What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 3 vs Dolphins @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton

Who will win? Round 3: Newcastle v Dolphins

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dolphins 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dolphins 13+

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Allstar Knights

Juniors
You'd almost have him on the bench just for some impact runs in the middle at very least.

Doing ourselves a disservice by not playing Marzhew.
Yeah, definitely.

Even his ability to fight in every tackle and earn a penalty he's probably one of the best at. Things like that take lots of pressure off the forwards getting in good attacking positions. Forwards don't have to work as hard coming out of your own end all the time.

Yosh

Coach
Probably a totally different team runs out on match day. Probably also get blown off the park. Excited to see Gamble at least sledge someone. Fitzy has been the last two weeks, hopefully he scores again. Just fingers crossed we get no more injuries.

HarVeeGee

Juniors
Croker would be the only bench player I’d expect to play big minutes. AOB will be asking for another big yardage game from the back 5.

Apey

Staff member
Dolphins -4.5 @ 1.90 sounds like they havent seen our line-up.

K-Man

Bench
I'm going to go out on a limb and say we win this one. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but these seem to be the types of games we do better in than when we are actually expected to perform well or when the opposition is the one massively impacted by injury, suspension, rep duty, etc.

The final 17 will probably look very different to the one named, but oddly enough for all the chaos the starting 13 does not look that bad overall. The backline isn't a makeshift one at least, and I expect the 1-5 will all be instructed to really step up in the metre eating to keep the starting forwards fresher to play longer minutes than usual. The young forwards won't get all that much game time.

Both teams have lost their starting hooker so that somewhat evens itself out, and Crossland did actually play quite well. Most importantly he defended well. I don't mind the Gamble/Hastings combo, it lacks the class of Ponga but you could immediately see the influence of a Gamble type player when he came on, and he does at least ask some questions. Miller got better as the game went on.

Do I think we will suddenly become an attacking force or play super intelligent football? No. But it's a home game, the defensive desperation from last week can't be questioned, and as well as the Dolphins have done so far I don't see them as an attacking juggernaut. They got a bit lucky, and statistically the Raiders dominated them.

Knights by 2 points in a low-scoring, dour affair with both sides playing the percentages and defending well. Gamble the Player of the Match. Thompson and Croker to showcase their ball-playing for some important touches.

OR we might just get absolutely hammered with our bench later described as the worst in NRL history.

Apey

Staff member
They probably saw the Dolphins lineup.
Only missing one player from their team that is 2 - 0. An important player, sure. But they seem like a better team than us when we're at full strength. They won't attack like the Tigers.

Dolphins by 12. Would love to be wrong though.

Last edited:

mozza91

Coach
They’ll fall back down to earth with a thud soon. Probably not against us because of the players out but soon.

Frederick

Staff member
Dane can barely string 5 coherent words together. Surely there's better options as captain?

Knight Tales

Bench
Really looking forward to watching Leo go again this week. That promise he showed early on looks likely to be fulfilled. He is a middle. We better be ready for the inevitable interest in him. His value is going ^^^^^

Yosh

Coach
Used to hate Gagai but since he has come back, I've really grown to like him again. Hopefully he can lead the team to a win as captain!

PhilGould

Bench
Watching the press conference he actually says Hastings will be the one handling the coin toss & captain's challenge so Gagai is either co-captain or just ceremoniously leading the team out onto the field for his milestone game.

Latest posts