What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 3 vs Melbourne @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 3: Newcastle v Melbourne

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Melbourne Storm 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Melbourne Storm 13+

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perverse

Referee
We're just lucky we caught Melbourne at the right time. Take the 2 points and back to the drawing board. That was awful. Next week is going to be very tough to watch I think.

Woody90

Juniors
That was dreadful, but at least we won - was legitimately expecting we'd be 0-4 (which would be the case if Storm had their halves).

We won't make the 8 unless we improve signficantly. It's weird. We were also 1-2 last season but felt like we were playing better then.

Thompson had a really poor last 10 minutes but will excuse him due to his usual quality. I don't think Jenkins is up to FG and I can see why Tuala was given the nod ahead of him.

perverse

Referee
Did anyone watch Cup? Curious how Jacko and Pryce went. Our halves are probably our largest concern at the moment.

As for some positives... because I did think there were some:

- Brailey made it through a game of football. Thought his service was obviously about 3 tiers above Crossland in the time he had.
- Middles were pretty good with the ball.
- Gags was monumental and is having a huge year.
- Friz.

Things we need to work on:

- Tuala in for Jenkins when Marzhew is fit.
- KPP still finding his feet.
- Solve the halves problem.
- Line speed in the middle of the field.
- Discipline with the ball. Way too many errors.
- Crossland. Go away. He's going to be our current generation Kurt Mann and I hate it.
- Second halves. We just go to sleep in the second half.
- Maintaining enthusiasm and energy for a full 80 minutes. We just clock off so easily.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Bring in Armstrong for Jenkins next week. I like Jenkins but he can wait for Gags or Best to get hurt.
Bring in Pryce and Hastings.
Start Brailey.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Take the win, it’s what we needed.
Massive improvement still needed to be any kind of threat to the comp.

Old dog

Juniors
Was an ordinary game but we got the points.
Some players shocked or surprised while others like Gagai just did what was needed.
Ponga had a mixed game but goal kicks were good.
Jenkins spilled too many kicks, replace him now, not when Marzhew is back, Moceidreke or Armstrong.
Gagai was strong, playing like he wants to stay, Best was also good but the feed to the left is messy.
Tuala was a surprise, didn’t notice him as much as his stats showed.
Our pack had mixed night with nearly all including bench having a mixed night, the good the bad and the ugly but all tried hard.
Hooker, Crosslands copped heaps because we all wanted Brailey, he will be back but give him time. Don’t understand why we play Crossland anywhere but 9, his time at hooker is dependant on Brailey achieving full match fitness, Braileys times should be 10 mins each half until he reaches playing 30 mins each half or better with Crosslands times decreasing accordingly, he is not a 13, if Elliott needs a break use the bench forwards.
6 & 7, Hastings, Gamble, Cogger and Pryce, leave Pryce developing in Cup, use two of other three but not all three. Cogger wasn’t good but give him another game or two meaning let’s leave Gamble at 6 until we are sure about Hasting fitness, kicking etc
Lets hope we improve over the next few weeks, tough game next

Take the win, it’s what we needed.
Massive improvement still needed to be any kind of threat to the comp.
No sure I would say it was a massive improvement. Tough to call it an improvement at all really

Same issues as weeks 1 and 2 just against a team who were worse

Our line speed and contact is just awful. We'd have to be the worst team in the comp at controlling the ruck