What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 3 vs Melbourne @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 3: Newcastle v Melbourne

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Melbourne Storm 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Melbourne Storm 13+

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yosh

Coach
Looks like we lack belief while the Storm are always looking for the win. Whenever we get 8 or 12 points in front, we go hide into our shells and try to defend a small lead for like 60 minutes.

All our halves don't look like they are handling the pressure well. Maybe we do Pryce in the halves as he doesn't look like he will feel the pressure. Whatever it is, we need halves who can get out centres some early ball...

Croker needs to step up big time or he is going to kook for another club. Cartwright looked a ton better than Croker.

Marzhew and Tuala looks like our wingers for the year.

mozza91

Coach
Hastings looked a class above. Good on him for going out and putting on a strong performance. Cant see him playing NSW Cup for much longer.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Hastings looked a class above. Good on him for going out and putting on a strong performance. Cant see him playing NSW Cup for much longer.
Hopefully the dropping was more due to his injury recovery. I think Cogger proved today he is a good replacement half but probably not a week to week 1st grader.

mozza91

Coach
Hopefully the dropping was more due to his injury recovery. I think Cogger proved today he is a good replacement half but probably not a week to week 1st grader.
Yeah he was underwhelming. Not gonna write him off yet though. One thing I’ll give is more a small bloke he puts his body on the line on both sides of the ball.

It was also his first win in Newcastle for the Knights which is a sign of just shit we were back in 2016-2017.

Apey

Staff member
Yeah he was underwhelming. Not gonna write him off yet though. One thing I’ll give is more a small bloke he puts his body on the line on both sides of the ball.

It was also his first win in Newcastle for the Knights which is a sign of just shit we were back in 2016-2017.
He engaged the line more (too much actually) and is better defensively than Hastings but that was about it. Hastings looked like he took the ball to the line more in the NSW cup highlights today though. Hopefully he's getting his confidence back in that regard.

perverse

Referee
Pryce scored two tries (amongst a few others) in a 50-24 demolition of the 3rd place Bears

Very pleasing. I don't know what the solution is yet, but we need 2 halves that are firing. I can't fault Gambles effort today, but he was still not working well off the back of Cogger at all and hasn't looked comfortable yet this year. Cogger was hopeless and looked lost for a guy that trained in that jersey all off season.

Pryce, to me, has to be in the side somewhere long term. It's obvious to see that he has that rare touch of class. 6 is the only place i can see it happening. I do think Gamble brings things to the side that other players, including Pryce, don't though. It's a problem im glad I don't have to solve.

Apey

Staff member
Pryces defence the big question mark still and the NSW Cup highlights aren't favourable for that. No doubt in my mind he'd be our most dangerous half. We can't watch the full game replay anywhere can we?

Woody90

Juniors
KP
Pryce
Hastings
Brailey

stick with it.
Jacko and Brails provide the structure and organisation. Pryce links the right. KP the left. Switch it up as needed.

There’s no way AOB will change the halves again next week after a win.

As crazy as it sounds, I think the best thing for the long-term interests of the club is to keep Hastings and Pryce in NSW Cup for a good month together at least, even if Gamble and Cogger are struggling. Hastings needs to get his body right and confidence up before coming back into FG otherwise dropping him was a waste. It’s also fantastic for Pryce to have someone of Hastings’ experience to learn off.