What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 3 vs Wests Tigers @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 3: Newcastle v Wests Tigers

• Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yosh

Coach
Bad day at the office. Too many errors and got punished for them. Too many errors we shouldn't be making.

However, where was our game management today? We were killing them in the forwards and Watson was wrecking havoc around the ruck. Why did we play from side to side to side to side? If we kept running our middle lads behind their ruck we would have dominated field position today. We got over the advantage line often today but then followed up with some terribley slow ball playing.

When will we find the grass with kicks? Pearce put one good spiral bomb up that had the fullback flustered. The others look like it's catching practice out there... I don't know how much more I can take... Also, Pearce gets caught randomly on the fifth and Mann isn't ready to kick and we give up the ball too cheaply again.

As bad as the errors were, I thought today we went away from what we did so well the first two games. Saifiti and the boys look dominate up the middle and the back rowers are firing. Please let's use them more before we try side to side without Ponga in the side.

A bad season is missing the 8 in a 16 team team comp.
Yeah ok thanks mate, genius input
Think Mann or Watson would have done worse at the back today? (I'm not saying they definitely would, just a questions). Hoy did do some good things, but some crucial things were not up to scratch today - how would you like people to react? He's young and it's ok? I don't like that - that's exactly the mentality we've had for the past 20 years and where has it gotten us?

You think Bellamy says that about Hines or Paps after they had a few games at fullback? He demands much more.

Hoy will be there again next week and I hope he makes continued progress and works on correcting today's mistakes - because you take those out and he's had a fine game otherwise. But after bad performances fans are entitled to vent their frustrations.

What would we do on here otherwise? Each week would be "ah well, hope the kid does better next week". That's a bit boring isn't it?
Of course not but the calls of "never to play 1st grade again" and "ship him off to XYZ" are massively over blown, which was my point

And for the record, yes, both Mann and Watson would have been worse fullback options

mozza91

Coach
Hoy made some poor errors but scored one and set one up. He’s ok for a backup but you wouldn’t consider him in your strongest 17 at any stage. This time next year he’s probably be 3rd string behind Ponga and Hodgson anyway.

It did hit me today watching them doing the guard of honour just how much talent we’ve got on the sidelines. 5 or 6 guys who walk in to our strongest side. Christ if we had Edrick or Toa on the right wing today we’re 3-0 right now.

Yosh

Coach
Also, probably unpopular opinion but I'm okay with Dom Young's flick pass attempt at the end there. Down by 4, a minute to go, I prefer my attacking trying something, even if it doesn't come off. I must admit it was a terrible effort though...

If we were up 4 with a minute to go and he did that, he would be dropped instantly haha.

Apey

Staff member
When is Ponga back? Without Best we desperately need him to help create more points than our backline are going to leak.

Looking at the positives - our current co captains are two of our best players each week. That's a nice change.

Jono078

Referee
When is Ponga back? Without Best we desperately need him to help create more points than our backline are going to leak.

Looking at the positives - our current co captains are two of our best players each week. That's a nice change.
This, absolutely this!

Without them I fear what we'd be so far this season. Brailey does so much work in attack and defense for us. Saifiti is in rare form, thinks he can take on the world and no one is able to stop him - really great to see.

I think Klemmer isn't getting much appreciation but he's doing a crap load for us too, I'd like to see him actually get a few less minutes so he's fresher towards the end.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Also, probably unpopular opinion but I'm okay with Dom Young's flick pass attempt at the end there. Down by 4, a minute to go, I prefer my attacking trying something, even if it doesn't come off. I must admit it was a terrible effort though...

If we were up 4 with a minute to go and he did that, he would be dropped instantly haha.
I partly agree with this. If it comes off he is brilliant. He just executed poorly.
However I’m not sure it was his play to make. We still had what, 30seconds? We could’ve kept going another tackle or 2 with Watson roaming, then go for the miracle flick.

However, where was our game management today? We were killing them in the forwards and Watson was wrecking havoc around the ruck. Why did we play from side to side to side to side? If we kept running our middle lads behind their ruck we would have dominated field position today. We got over the advantage line often today but then followed up with some terribley slow ball playing.
Agreed. I reckon we needed to roll up the forwards. I mostly saw one off hits then trying to spread it.

aqua_duck

Coach
Coach very unhappy with the end of our sets in the presser. Mentions it a few times
Will always be an issue with Pearce in the 7 and the only real kicking option, whilst he has his strengths, short kicking game definitely isn't one of them. We desperately need Green in the 6 as a foil for Pearce, I feel like Mann and Crossland are too scared to over rule Pearce whereas Green has enough experience and played with enough good halves to know when to step in

slotmachine

First Grade
He’s ok for a backup but you wouldn’t consider him in your strongest 17 at any stage. This time next year he’s probably be 3rd string behind Ponga and Hodgson anyway.

This is the correct take. The plan isn't for him to be a regular first grade player (for us). I'm not losing sleep over our backups with 10 games under their belt having an inconsistent game.

I'm more concerned about the 300 gamers form.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors

In fairness to Young he had Shibs unmarked on his outside but Shibs was standing very flat, if he was a metre or two deeper then he’s in position to catch that pass which is where he should be, although he probably would have dropped it anyway given how his afternoon was going. That was the most forgivable error imo, can’t blame the debutant for a flick pass with less than 60 seconds left on the clock and we need a try to win. If it comes off everyone is raving about how brave it is and how much of a superstar he will be blah blah blah. Ultimately we didn’t deserve to win and we got what we deserved for all our handling errors.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Ok now that I’ve calmed down here’s my opinion.

Let’s get the obvious stuff out of the way first. Our handling was terrible and we shot our selves in the foot over and over. We made 18 errors on a dry track on a Sunday afternoon which is ridiculous. If we get that down to 10 or less we win comfortably.

Unfortunately this was just one of those games where a bunch of guys made errors on the same afternoon. It’s totally shit but it happens. Shibs and Tex were the two obvious ones, I actually feel sorry for Shibs because he just looked rattled from early on, ideally he doesn’t play NRL again for a little while and gets some confidence back. He’s got all the physical attributes to play at this level but he just needs to cut the errors and be more reliable. Given our current backline situation we will probably need him again next week, though hopefully not on the wing again.

It’s weird to say this but Hoy has his best and worst game all rolled into one. He made some really fundamental errors, that drop from the kick was terrible and his technique for trying to tackle that front rower who scored was poor. However he also showed a lot more spark and was an actual attacking threat which we’ve all been waiting for him to show for a little while now. He’s definitely not in our best 17 at this stage but he at least showed some positives.

Apart from all that, the positives are there. We are still missing 2 guys from our spine and our backline is a patch up job and we only lost by 2 missed kicks at goal, we hung in there despite playing pretty poorly and were even in a position to win it, so I would rather that than being thrashed by 40.

Our attack actually looked alright in this game, Mann was passing a bit more and Tex was starting to beat some tackles and Watson was excellent when he came on. Brailey from dummy half just adds a new dimension to our side, his vision around the ruck is brilliant, that play to set Barney up was very subtle and when was the last time we had a dummy half who could have a decent crack at a 40/20?

Dan was just immense, he really has become one of the dominant front rowers in the NRL, absolutely outstanding. Our forwards in general were really good tbh.

Dom Young got his opportunity far earlier than we would have expected and personally I thought he wasn’t too bad. There’s definitely some stuff that he will need to work on to become a consistent first grader, his defensive positioning was all over the place but I thought he was physical when he made decent contact. He worked hard though and took some tough runs coming out of trouble. I actually noticed that he runs very upright and given how tall he is it was leading to guys holding him up in place and driving him back in a 3 man tackle. It would be good to see him try to lower his torso a bit and try to get between defenders and find his front a bit more. With a bit of luck he can learn from it and play well in NSW cup for a while before we call on him again.

Overall as seasoned knights fans we all saw this loss coming, the tigers had a point to prove after being terrible for the first two weeks and we had an off game but it still ended up being really close and all things considered I thought we worked really hard and the effort was there despite some repeated glaring errors from the same culprits.

If we can clock up another couple of wins while we’re under strength then it’ll put us in a great position for when Green and Ponga are back.

EdLondon

Juniors
In fairness to Young he had Shibs unmarked on his outside but Shibs was standing very flat, if he was a metre or two deeper then he’s in position to catch that pass which is where he should be, although he probably would have dropped it anyway given how his afternoon was going. That was the most forgivable error imo, can’t blame the debutant for a flick pass with less than 60 seconds left on the clock and we need a try to win. If it comes off everyone is raving about how brave it is and how much of a superstar he will be blah blah blah. Ultimately we didn’t deserve to win and we got what we deserved for all our handling errors.
I agree. Young had a good game and I have no issue with him trying something. He has plenty of time to learn.

Old dog

Juniors
If choosing between Young and Schibs to play then it’s Young, he wasn’t great but performed better than Schibs and will be better for the experience and knowing he’s starting he will be better prepared.

macavity

Referee
That performance by Shibs was the worst individual performance in a Knights jersey in living memory, and that is saying something.