What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Gold Coast @ Cbus Super Stadium

Who will win? Round 4: Gold Coast v Wests Tigers

• Gold Coast Titans 13+

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Gold Coast Titans 1-12

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vic Mackey

Referee
The Roosters will remain the Eastern Suburbs Premier team and wont be moving or changing names

Balmain owe a token 10% of the JV but seem to have more say and sway in decisions that are made.

Not a big change calling them Macarthur Wests Tigers as they already have junior sides and junior leagues playing under that name.

Time for them to look to the future which is Macarthur and not stagnate and decline by clinging onto the past i.e- Balmain(Leichhardt) and Wests (Lidcombe /Ashflield).

If things don't improve the NRL will need to step in and revoking the licence is not out of the question either as well the Balmain side of the JV is more like a boat anchor as they offer virtually zilch money wise.

Start again as Macarthur Wests Magpies based in Campbelltown perhaps is what maybe needed if the JV folds
I always find opposition fans solutions to the Wests Tigers woes amusing, this is one of the more ridiculous ones Ive seen.

I should have stopped reading when you said Balmain have more sway in the decisions that are made. Thats quiet a feat when you consider that they have 2 board members compared to Wests 5, and those 2 dont even get a vote.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
A few years ago I wouldn’t have slept after a result like that and be Shitty for the next 2-3 days. There’s one positive to us being so shit for so long, my care factor is at an all time low.

I actually laughed when Titans scored their try
Madge has pointed out the players have been learning from losses for years now. This week he said he is learning about his coaching.
Like you I have learnt to accept losing, no matter what circumstances, as "yeah, well that's just what we do. Nothing new or unexpected. No big deal. "

I always find opposition fans solutions to the Wests Tigers woes amusing, this is one of the more ridiculous ones Ive seen.

I should have stopped reading when you said Balmain have more sway in the decisions that are made. Thats quiet a feat when you consider that they have 2 board members compared to Wests 5, and those 2 dont even get a vote.

Balmain were originally awarded the NRL licence so decisions back then have affected this JV ever since- from where they are based to even the design of the jumpers through to the team name- Wests Tigers - commentators/press etc simply refer to them as the Tigers.

It has all changed now with Wests Ashfield owning 90% of the licence vs Balmain's 10%

Where's the Western Suburbs Magpies in any of the jumpers though - previously there was a small Magpie on the sleeve of the jumpers but even that has seemingly vanished. - bit like where is the Illawarra Steelers in St George Illawarra - the socks

Wests Tigers are actually 3 clubs in one with none on the same age and multiple home grounds and a definite identity crisis - Old Balmain (Leichhardt Oval) / Old Wests(Lidcombe/Ashfield) and Macarthur Wests Tigers Junior League (the future)

Wests Ashfield decided a few years back for their NSW Cup and Ron Massey cup teams to play homes games at Lidcombe Oval instead of Campbelltown even.

It is a no brainer where Wests Tigers should be based though (Macarthur ) and no wonder crowds at Campbelltown aren't great as Wests Tigers have virtually deserted the Campbelltown-Macarthur area- other teams haven't and are putting in both time and money in identifying local talent in the Macarthur Region to put into their clubs development systems.

A name change would help as well - Macarthur Wests Tigers and a much much greater presence in the Macarthur area -being based there would be better as well.

The Article below actually nails it if you care to read it.

1648880299202.png 1648880320965.png

Last edited:

WT Unity

Juniors
Balmain were originally awarded the NRL licence so decisions back then have affected this JV ever since- from where they are based to even the design of the jumpers through to the team name- Wests Tigers - commentators/press etc simply refer to them as the Tigers.

It has all changed now with Wests Ashfield owning 90% of the licence vs Balmain's 10%

Where's the Western Suburbs Magpies in any of the jumpers though - previously there was a small Magpie on the sleeve of the jumpers but even that has seemingly vanished. - bit like where is the Illawarra Steelers in St George Illawarra - the socks

Wests Tigers are actually 3 clubs in one with none on the same age and multiple home grounds and a definite identity crisis - Old Balmain (Leichhardt Oval) / Old Wests(Lidcombe/Ashfield) and Macarthur Wests Tigers Junior League (the future)

Wests Ashfield decided a few years back for their NSW Cup and Ron Massey cup teams to play homes games at Lidcombe Oval instead of Campbelltown even.

It is a no brainer where Wests Tigers should be based though (Macarthur ) and no wonder crowds at Campbelltown aren't great as Wests Tigers have virtually deserted the Campbelltown-Macarthur area- other teams haven't and are putting in both time and money in identifying local talent in the Macarthur Region to put into their clubs development systems.

A name change would help as well - Macarthur Wests Tigers and a much much greater presence in the Macarthur area -being based there would be better as well.

The Article below actually nails it if you care to read it.

View attachment 59713 View attachment 59714

The move / focus to the South West is happening.
The CoE in Concord is for the NRL (i.e. full time professional)
The academy (junior development) will be in the South West
There is nothing wrong with the above from a strategy perspective
They already have a junior development program and presence in the South West whereby they use the SWS Academy as well as St Greg's Campbelltown
If the investment in a stadium in the SW goes ahead there will be a big increase in games played in the Macarthur region (according to the article it will be upgrades to the current stadium as opposed to a new stadium)

-> Just one point about the article in Forbes. The journo states that none of the 4 home games are played anywhere near Ashfield - That's just incorrect. The Olympic stadium is the same distance from Ashfield as is Lidcombe Oval which was the Magpies home ground and Leichhardt Oval is two suburbs away...Ashfield - Haberfield - Leichhardt. And while that maybe apropos to nothing it shows again how journo's just don't get their facts straight. Having said that the journo does make some good points and I for one agree that the focus for development and community based identity should definitely be in the South West. As for the CoE (which is a fancy term for where the NRL squad of 30 players train) it can be in Concord without diminishing the ability to create a focus and community identity in the Macarthur.
My final point is that while it is happening it needs to happen quicker if possible and we need to stop playing any further games at Parramatta. That does my head in!
I will never go to watch them play a supposed home game in the shadows of the Parramatta Leagues Club! I would rather go to Homebush which I hate but at least it's a neutral venue.

Tiger Ted

Bench

The move / focus to the South West is happening.
The CoE in Concord is for the NRL (i.e. full time professional)
The academy (junior development) will be in the South West
There is nothing wrong with the above from a strategy perspective
They already have a junior development program and presence in the South West whereby they use the SWS Academy as well as St Greg's Campbelltown
If the investment in a stadium in the SW goes ahead there will be a big increase in games played in the Macarthur region (according to the article it will be upgrades to the current stadium as opposed to a new stadium)

-> Just one point about the article in Forbes. The journo states that none of the 4 home games are played anywhere near Ashfield - That's just incorrect. The Olympic stadium is the same distance from Ashfield as is Lidcombe Oval which was the Magpies home ground and Leichhardt Oval is two suburbs away...Ashfield - Haberfield - Leichhardt. And while that maybe apropos to nothing it shows again how journo's just don't get their facts straight. Having said that the journo does make some good points and I for one agree that the focus for development and community based identity should definitely be in the South West. As for the CoE (which is a fancy term for where the NRL squad of 30 players train) it can be in Concord without diminishing the ability to create a focus and community identity in the Macarthur.
My final point is that while it is happening it needs to happen quicker if possible and we need to stop playing any further games at Parramatta. That does my head in!
I will never go to watch them play a supposed home game in the shadows of the Parramatta Leagues Club! I would rather go to Homebush which I hate but at least it's a neutral venue.
Playing at Parra massively pisses me off.

Latest posts