What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Gold Coast @ Cbus Super Stadium

Who will win? Round 4: Gold Coast v Wests Tigers

• Gold Coast Titans 13+

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Gold Coast Titans 1-12

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

soc123_au

Staff member
You merkins need to stop walking under ladders on game day. Obviously the 2 points isn't going to cost a spot in the 8, but getting to celebrate a win was deserved. That was such a gut wrenching way to lose.

How they didn't use the video ref again to check your first try boggles the mind. Take some solace that the team stayed in the game after getting shafted I guess. Your backrowers and the Jet were pretty good. Brooks is so far out of his depth it's not even funny anymore.

Pezz70

Juniors
What’s the go with captains challenges in a situation like that try? Can you challenge in a try scoring situation when they don’t go to the bunker? I think it may have brushed Maumolo hand on the way through but it still looked like it went backwards on the replay. They’d have probably found it inconclusive and the challenge would have been unsuccessful anyway, and the guys didn’t really blow up as if it were a legitimate try, maybe that’s just a lack of confidence and passion IDK.

Crazyperpman

Juniors
Can someone here please tell me one thing? If a player knocks the ball backwards does the direction he moves in afterwards affect the direction the ball in travelling in? That was some gold medal stuff right there.

I dont think this team is that far away from being respectable, a few things go our way we are 2 and 2 and Bwaif and the other idiots on NRL 360 are death riding someone else.

The problem is they are directionless. Each set is a combination of 6 unrelated plays with no shape that ultimately lead to nothing. The forwards (except for Luc) are missing the confidence to offload and the team is missing genuine strike out wide. There is absolutely no one in this team you can give early ball to and expect anything but soft options.

For this year, when back, I would put Doueihi to 5/8 and Hastings to Lock. Doueihi might be slow but at least he can count and throw a cut out at the right time. Hasting can still play some first receiver and just follow the forwards looking for offloads similar to what Kurt Man does at Newcastle, he is no Issah Yeo or Cameron Murray but the days of trying to squeeze an extra front rower into the Team at lock were over 5 years ago.

I will still be cheering but geez its getting tough, it will be a major victory if this team doesnt win the spoon.

WA Tiger

Bench
Can someone here please tell me one thing? If a player knocks the ball backwards does the direction he moves in afterwards affect the direction the ball in travelling in? That was some gold medal stuff right there.

I dont think this team is that far away from being respectable, a few things go our way we are 2 and 2 and Bwaif and the other idiots on NRL 360 are death riding someone else.

The problem is they are directionless. Each set is a combination of 6 unrelated plays with no shape that ultimately lead to nothing. The forwards (except for Luc) are missing the confidence to offload and the team is missing genuine strike out wide. There is absolutely no one in this team you can give early ball to and expect anything but soft options.

For this year, when back, I would put Doueihi to 5/8 and Hastings to Lock. Doueihi might be slow but at least he can count and throw a cut out at the right time. Hasting can still play some first receiver and just follow the forwards looking for offloads similar to what Kurt Man does at Newcastle, he is no Issah Yeo or Cameron Murray but the days of trying to squeeze an extra front rower into the Team at lock were over 5 years ago.

I will still be cheering but geez its getting tough, it will be a major victory if this team doesnt win the spoon.
For the forward pass that went to the bunker if u take a mental snapshot of the distance from the passer to the white line behind him (in this case) , WHEN he passes, or was it a fleeting touch I can’t remember, and then the distance to that same white line when it’s touched again (regardless of where he runs). I think both distances are about the same so no forward pass, but no benefit of the doubt either.

I think they mentioned he ran forward first so if that’s the case (and I’m not double checking) even tho he ran backward toward the ball after that , both runs just cancelled each other out when deciding. But yea stick to the distance to any cross field white line you can see for both instances, and try not to be distracted with bodies

Last edited:

Crazyperpman

Juniors
For the forward pass

It wasn't a forward pass it was a knock on. Even when the ref sent it upstairs he said the challenge was against a knock on. The Bunker then states "The second touch it knocked backwards and OG has run in front of the ball. the challenge is unsuccessful"

Tiger05

First Grade
It wasn't a forward pass it was a knock on. Even when the ref sent it upstairs he said the challenge was against a knock on. The Bunker then states "The second touch it knocked backwards and OG has run in front of the ball. the challenge is unsuccessful"

I want someone to explain this to me. I also want to understand the no try that was a try just like last week and it wasn't even looked at.

We are shithouse though. We should be building for the next couple of seasons. I want to see Madge sort out our halves and spine. We have our 9 for next season. All the other positions should be up for grabs.

WA Tiger

Bench
Oh ok I remember now.. Yea I hate that theory and some of the top guys still go on about he’s facing so snd so therefore ..and he was moving in that direction therefore ..blah blah

The same applies with knock ons …compare the 2 distances from the horizontal white line on first and then 2nd touch (or where the ball ends up) .. I think it’s about the same so it shouldn’t have been knock on, but most of them get that one wrong… They’ve got technology coming where there’s like a gps in the ball. Can’t wait

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I want someone to explain this to me. I also want to understand the no try that was a try just like last week and it wasn't even looked at

Just mind blowing. Identical pretty much. That was almost spooky like WTF.

Last edited:

This Year?

Immortal

I'd put Hastings to 7, Doueihi to 6 and look to get shape around Tuilagi and Leilua. The attack especially on the opposition tryline looks too flat IMO. They rarely get a quick play of the ball so the defence is already on them when a playmaker gets the ball. It seemed like none of the middles looked like breaking the line or scattering any defenders. Out of the other backrowers I don't think any of them are the lock that would be needed. Hastings like you said would make a good attacking lock, but in defence he'd be made to tackle himself to a standstill.

Gildart is trying hard but nothing is going right for him. I think it's going to take him time to get used to the NRL. Maybe some time in ressies will help him adjust and give him confidence.

Tamou, Brooks, Laurie, Maumalo, Peachey and Roberts are deadset taking the piss. I don't know why Madge is protecting the players when he gets all the criticism. It feels like these blokes don't play as a team. You never see an outside back come in to take an early hitup or someone trailing behind the ball carrier for an offload or if a rare linebreak is made suppport comes too late.
Effort or detail is something they don't seem to do. Supporters deserve than what we saw last night.

Wests Tigers should change their name to Macarthur Wests Tigers and be based out in that Campbelltown/Macathur area- seems ludicrous to cater for Balmain/Wests interests and ignore where their future lies - the Campbelltown/Macarthur area

Pezz70

Juniors
Wests Tigers should change their name to Macarthur Wests Tigers and be based out in that Campbelltown/Macathur area- seems ludicrous to cater for Balmain/Wests interests and ignore where their future lies - the Campbelltown/Macarthur area
They can’t pull anything like a crowd at Campbelltown while they’re losing. They don’t get payed to play at Campbelltown which means the game income relies on the gate. I agree that Ctown is the best shot at the future. The centre of excellence at concord was a stupid idea. The decisions are being driven by the Leagues club. Having a Rugby League team really means nothing to that club anymore. I’ve been there numerous occasions and from observing their customer base I can say 95% have no interest in rugby league at all.

The Rosco

Bench
. . so then using the same logic, your team should change their name to the " Anywhere in NSW or QLD Roosters ", because that is where they get their players from. That's where your future lies.
It's a sensitive topic, and a bold move to suggest anything to detract from Balmain on here. Good luck mate.

. . so then using the same logic, your team should change their name to the " Anywhere in NSW or QLD Roosters ", because that is where they get their players from. That's where your future lies.
It's a sensitive topic, and a bold move to suggest anything to detract from Balmain on here. Good luck mate.

The Roosters will remain the Eastern Suburbs Premier team and wont be moving or changing names

Balmain owe a token 10% of the JV but seem to have more say and sway in decisions that are made.

Not a big change calling them Macarthur Wests Tigers as they already have junior sides and junior leagues playing under that name.

Time for them to look to the future which is Macarthur and not stagnate and decline by clinging onto the past i.e- Balmain(Leichhardt) and Wests (Lidcombe /Ashflield).

If things don't improve the NRL will need to step in and revoking the licence is not out of the question either as well the Balmain side of the JV is more like a boat anchor as they offer virtually zilch money wise.

Start again as Macarthur Wests Magpies based in Campbelltown perhaps is what maybe needed if the JV folds

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Lol.. as if the NRL gives a f**k if a club wins games.. we provide more members, supporters, merchandise ,tv veiws and juniors to the game of rugby league then the Rorters ever will .

We are shit on the field but we have fans. Fans support the business. If the salary cap was based on the number of supporters we'd be doing a lot better.