What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 5 vs Raiders @ Campbelltown Stadium

Who will win? Round 5: Wests Tigers v Raiders

• Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Canberra Raiders 1-12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Clock is ticking for Brooksy after last night.

Packer needs to get the lair out of him.

At least that game started healing the scars from last year v Raiders at BankWest.

The reality is at least another season to find the consistency, a playmaker, speed and continue the roster clean out.

There is more potential in this side than last year, we just need to translate that to points.

The unknown

Juniors
Although Brooks was a passenger in attack, his defense was quite good...I’d say that’s the main reason he keeps his spot over Marshall

isn’t it funny how Marshall out and our right side defense looks 1000x better?

Tiger05

First Grade
Although Brooks was a passenger in attack, his defense was quite good...I’d say that’s the main reason he keeps his spot over Marshall

Exactly. Same as Mbye. They lock down that side defensively. Benji has some games where his defense is great but he hasn't been like that in a while. He offers a lot more in attack than Reynolds but if Reynolds can just be solid I understand picking him over Benji.

Our spine which I thought could be good is pretty shit atm. I like Douiehi but he is clearly learning. I reckon he looks like a quality player. Brooks and Benji are inconsistent. Reynolds was decent against Canberra but I have no confidence in him based on his performances for us. Grant looks great but I haven't seen so many poor options and dud passes from a dummy half in a while as he did against Canberra.

I reckon our forwards are doing the job. I reckon we have enough in the outside backs. Our spine needs to be significantly better.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
And our GK is sitting in "nowhere land" in Melbourne. hard to work it out.

This is such a good point. We might be cutting our nose off to spite our face but we should be saying to Melbourne when Momi plays, so does Grant. We are getting nothing out of this really other than making the Storm stronger next year.

Last edited:

So said a friend of mine this morning, with his defence, but it’s a position that requires a certain level of attacking aptitude and skill sets, especially in these days of the fast and the furious.

We are in the market for Saab, so there must be some loose change in Madge’s third drawer.

The dragons board want to keep their failing coach and therefore their players are coming under more intense club pressure.

I therefore expect a few of them to be shopped around to save their coach.

Some good players, poorly coached, may find their mojo under a more consistent and honest coach like Madge.

The Rosco

Bench
Well, at least we had a fair dinkum go.
Like you guys, I still don't know where our points will come from. Some very astute coaches out there have somehow stumbled on the key to defending our relentless mid-field 5th tackle bombs. Amazing !!
The game plan of one out, smash into their rock-hard forward pack is above my level of comprehension of the game of rugby league, so I cannot comment about how mind-numbingly fkkn stupid it was.
Madge had the stones to drop Benji . . . so he sees the problems in the halves, now hopefully he continues to see that dropping one half and leaving the other didn't really work . . . so now maybe he drops the other and sees how that plays out.
Talau was much better, as was AD.
For now, at least we had a go.

Pezz70

Juniors
Well, at least we had a fair dinkum go.
Like you guys, I still don't know where our points will come from. Some very astute coaches out there have somehow stumbled on the key to defending our relentless mid-field 5th tackle bombs. Amazing !!
The game plan of one out, smash into their rock-hard forward pack is above my level of comprehension of the game of rugby league, so I cannot comment about how mind-numbingly fkkn stupid it was.
Madge had the stones to drop Benji . . . so he sees the problems in the halves, now hopefully he continues to see that dropping one half and leaving the other didn't really work . . . so now maybe he drops the other and sees how that plays out.
Talau was much better, as was AD.
For now, at least we had a go.

I reckon Des Haslers old Canterbury attacking structure would be really effective given the recent rule changes. Two plays straight and hard and then start moving the ball off the ruck with a forward in the first receiver role, I think Mikaele could eventually handle it. A bloke like John Asiata is made for this game.

Another thing I noticed last night that’s gonna have to be policed is the willingness to infringe in the ruck in the first two tackles when defending a team coming out of their red zone. I think any infringement in the first two is gonna have to be a penalty. Teams are infringing on purpose to slow the play and get their line set. There’s no advantage to the attacking team. Previously you’d get a penalty and get a 30m advantage.

The Rosco

Bench
I reckon Des Haslers old Canterbury attacking structure would be really effective given the recent rule changes. Two plays straight and hard and then start moving the ball off the ruck with a forward in the first receiver role, I think Mikaele could eventually handle it. A bloke like John Asiata is made for this game.

Another thing I noticed last night that’s gonna have to be policed is the willingness to infringe in the ruck in the first two tackles when defending a team coming out of their red zone. I think any infringement in the first two is gonna have to be a penalty. Teams are infringing on purpose to slow the play and get their line set. There’s no advantage to the attacking team. Previously you’d get a penalty and get a 30m advantage.
Yes, spot on about the early tackle infringements Pezz.
And the problem becomes that the ref sort of sets himself a "benchmark" . . . and he is less inclined to give a restart for the same level of slowing the ruck, even at a later tackle in the set.
You can sort of guess how strict the reffing will be from the first or second set. And once the players know they can get away with a bit more, it just gets worse.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I must be a cynical old bloke but saying we put in is like saying I smiled at Elle McPherson* as she walked past and thought I'd nearly pulled a r##t. *For you younger fellas change the name to whomever, you get my point lol.

We do this year after year. We lose to the weaker teams and then somewhat have a dig with the stronger teams that give us hope....only to be let down when it really counts. I feel like a drug user looking for their next hit supporting this team....but I just can't help myself haha.

super_coach

First Grade
Showed plenty of ticket last night, but as usual lacked class and speed. The hard part is going to be getting them up every week, especially if they keep coming second in close contests.
Ref certainly did not help our cause last night. We are a team that need to get a fair shake when it comes to calls and last night it was obvious the guy with the whistle had decided that the Raiders were going to win

We have our issues but regarding that imbecile who refereed last night if that was Ricky Stuart’s team who were dealt all those sh#t decision, you would not of heard the end of it from Ricky ,he would of lost his sh#t and said so .

Was watching the Sunday footy show this morning and the journos were asked about the tigers woes. Pretty much the same things we bring up week in and week out. Webster and Read both described the club as weak from top to bottom. I guess it's something we all know but don't want to believe. I turned the game off as fast as I could after full time but apparently our players were laughing and smiling after the loss. This has always annoyed the shit out of me. Do the players even care?

One of the problems is the ridiculous NRL rule that you have to spend 90% of the cap. Our roster would be worth about 60% of the cap. I'd imagine it's one of the reasons bog average players are on very good coin, and very comfortable for what appears to be little effort. The other would be our own gross incompetence.

Mario chalmers

Juniors

Such a great point here mate.

It's why its critical we avoid starting sets with Nofa running donuts. Once the defence is set there is no chance of any forward momentum.

Compounding slow PTB on early tackles we have carried ineffective forwards like Seyfarth and Clark who get smashed carting it up.

WA Tiger

Bench
I turned the game off as fast as I could after full time but apparently our players were laughing and smiling after the loss. This has always annoyed the shit out of me. Do the players even care?

I hate that too..I think the captain has a lot to do with it...In fact I think if u look at winning teams you can virtually guarantee there’s a captain who cares more about winning than being friends ..Madge also should pull them up straight away ...but 1 Mbye I think is Mr Sociable and 2 Madge I think delegates a lot of the little things and hopes for the best...Then when we lose he’s in shock?

That level of intent we showed should be there every week. Why isn’t it! We need a captain who’s going to frighten the shit out of each player when they deserve to be...and for me that’s AD ...He just needs to lift his fullback game a bit more which he will with time and then I think once he’s got his game sorted he will be more confident and he will be a walk in Captain..After all he’s a king of the jungle Leo like Mbye.. He’s just seems like he could be a bit more Authoritative or scary and less of good time joe, he seems like he could care more about winning (like Farrah) and is definitely more skilled than Mbye.

Who needs a captain who can only defend ..where’s the inspiration

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Showed plenty of ticket last night, but as usual lacked class and speed. The hard part is going to be getting them up every week, especially if they keep coming second in close contests.
Ref certainly did not help our cause last night. We are a team that need to get a fair shake when it comes to calls and last night it was obvious the guy with the whistle had decided that the Raiders were going to win

I think in a small? corner of the refs mind they think “what are the consequences for me from that team if I upset them” ie from the coach and captain ...and from us there’s no consequences from anyone ever

Latest posts