What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 8 vs Dolphins @ Suncorp Stadium, Milton / Yuggera-Turrbal

Who will win? Round 8: Dolphins v Newcastle

• Dolphins 13+

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Dolphins 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
It was a gutsy win, not particularly pretty but very gutsy. I will put those last 2 tries down to the fact that guys were injured and a few playing out of position.

We won that game by grinding them down with our completion rate which was excellent. Ultimately we’re going to need to win games that way for a little while until we start to gel more in attack. Our forwards really stood up which was good to see, and Crossland off the bench came on for immediate impact. He’s not that skilful but the guy is a useful player. He’s got some leg speed and seems to disrupt the middle defenders around the ruck. He does come up with some useful offloads and short passes too.

Crossland off the bench came on for immediate impact. He’s not that skilful but the guy is a useful player. He’s got some leg speed and seems to disrupt the middle defenders around the ruck. He does come up with some useful offloads and short passes too.
and he's only going to get better. Crossland is turning into a great clubman, and gives bang for the buck

Knight Tales

Juniors
Are we better utilising Crossland as a starting 13? Elliott can cover backrow and hooker off the bench.. Bring Pryce up to the 14 and ease him in? With the emergence of KPP and Lucas I am confident Friz can transfer his final years into a starting prop. He and Leo's combined leg speed and mobility means the Safs can play effectively in shorter bursts and hopefully the laziness will disappear cos they are able to be more effective in shorter bursts. NQ are doing it with JT and they are looking far more dangerous. Their most expensive player. End of the day it is about the results.

Last edited:

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Going to be a great, much anticipated game for the "literally anyone is better than the Safs" crowd this week.

Yosh

Coach
I thought Elliot was fantastic yesterday. Ran the ball up with gusto and passed the ball well as well. Crossland is much more effective off the bench coming on to offer enthusiasm more than anything else.

If Jacob is gone, Frizz into the middle seems a great solution. Does Frizz want to play in the middle BTW?

Why are we wanting to move Friz into the middle when he's been so potent both sides of the ball on the right edge for a big stretch now? I agree we need more speed and mobility in the middle but moving him is not the answer.

You know who was really good there yesterday? Jones. Im gonna give him his flowers cause he deserves it. Really made a difference when he came on in a tough period defencively for the team. I think between him, Croker and Hetherington we can cover Jsaf

Woody90

Juniors
Going to be a great, much anticipated game for the "literally anyone is better than the Safs" crowd this week.

Pretty there’s a general consensus here that JSaf has been fine and pulling his weight.

DSaf was good yesterday but it’s going to take more than one half of footy on a week that his twin played a milestone game and he’d been called out in the herald to convince me he’s turned a corner.

If he plays like he did yesterday for the rest of the season I’ll definitely have a re-think.

Yosh

Coach
Don't know if DSaf was good. Was decent but poor if you consider what he is paid.

slotmachine

First Grade
He ran the ball a bit better, defence was still poor. Still not convinced he's better than croker based on that performance.

Why are we wanting to move Friz into the middle when he's been so potent both sides of the ball on the right edge for a big stretch now?

We've got two young, good 80 minute edge forwards now. They're in the conversation for our best four or five most weeks. And as good as Frizz is he isn't really a line break/try scoring threat like Lucas and KPP are. Frizz to the middle would bring his line speed and effort while losing little to nothing on the edges.

Last edited:
He ran the ball a bit better, defence was still poor. Still not convinced he's better than croker based on that performance.

We've got two young, good 80 minute edge forwards now. They're in the conversation for our best four or five most weeks. And as good as Frizz is he isn't really a line break/try scoring threat like Lucas and KPP are. Frizz to the middle would bring his line speed and effort while losing little to nothing on the edges.
Right now Friz is more threatening than Lucas, I really can't go with you saying the opposite bro. I think you are overlooking just how much Friz holds the right edge together defencively too.

I like Lucas and think he has a future as a starting backrower for sure but he is not near Frizells level yet and in our full strength side is a bench forward/utility back.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
We could miss his edge defence, but I think Frizell would be just as effective in the middle with his mobility and leg speed. I suggested this earlier in the season as well.

Rod

Bench
Only finished the full game so my random thoughts:

- Armstrong looks like a livewire, great debut. Only nitpick is his ball security, he must have almost lost it in contact half a dozen times.
- Best responsible for the Keeley try but otherwise continues his great form.
- Gagai too, I'm enjoying his late career transformation into a leader of sorts. The goalkicking could prove to be an issue in upcoming games though.
- Kicking game still not great, but certainly *better*. A couple of repeat sets and they're at least trying to contest high kicks when the kick itself is good enough (which isn't often).
- Gamble provided what he is in the team for - defence and support play. 2 weeks ago no one would have been there for the Crossland break.
- Brailey is rounding into the form that made him such a promising player in the first place. Also not sure if it's my imagination but he seems bigger than previous years.
- Backrow continues to be excellent. If Frizell comes back I'm on board with the front row suggestion others have mentioned.
- We certainly lost something when the bench came on although losing Cartwright straight away didn't help.
- Armstrong and Brodie Jones nice try-saving tackles.
- Attack is still clunky but if they bring that intensity every week there's enough individual talent in the team to compete.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
J Saf and Cartwright are a good chance to be right this weekend. We’ve got Hethro back and Croker waiting in the wings. As good as Lucas has been he goes back to the bench imo.
This entire post says we're short on props. Relying in Hetherington whose best for us has been... Nothing and a lock sized middle.

mozza91

Coach
This entire post says we're short on props. Relying in Hetherington whose best for us has been... Nothing and a lock sized middle.
He’s been decent this year. J Saf, Leo, D Saf, Cartwright, Hethro, Croker and Jones can all do a job in the middle without moving our best edge forward.

slotmachine

First Grade
Right now Friz is more threatening than Lucas, I really can't go with you saying the opposite bro.

Based on what exactly. Friz has 12 tries in 66 games for us, Lucas 4 tries in 11 games at second row. Like I said Frizz is a great player but he's not really a try scorer. And he collects a few of the ones he does get by chasing hard on grubbers rather than breaking the line.

Latest posts