What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 13 vs Canterbury @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 13: Newcastle v Canterbury

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 1-12

• Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
just when you might begin to hope the club is moving in the right direction, a weak culture, and scarcely a winner with a burning desire succeed, or a leader of men among the playing group.

Disgraceful and all should hang their head in shame for lacking the balls to have a go.

Knight Tales

Bench
If that does not see a cleanout at season's end then nothing will. Once again we have papered over the cracks. THIS GROUP ARE TOO CLOSE AND TOO COMFORTABLE. NOONE takes accountability. They thought they just had to turn up.

Wizardman

First Grade
A take from a neutral observer here. That was the worst performance from a first grade side easily this year. Yes, there have been bigger floggings....but that performance was clearly the worst.

As bad as it was, there are a few factors behind it.

1. The bye. Your team.....while not playing glittering footy over the past six weeks, have played grinding type footy very well. There was no hint of that footy last night.....I think the bye hurt that style.

2. The conditions. This has been the most underrated factor in shit performances this year. It is so difficult to play first grade footy in the wet. Knights have probably been one of the better wet weather sides this year....once again, they forgot the style last night.

3. Every single player did not play a first grade standard performance in attack. It was that bad that it is almost one of those performances you just put a line through and move onto next week.

Ypur halves need some sort of change heading into next year. Hastings is too slow and Cogger is too shit. As solid as Cogger was in the Penrith system, he is not delivering here.

slotmachine

First Grade
Ypur halves need some sort of change heading into next year. Hastings is too slow and Cogger is too shit. As solid as Cogger was in the Penrith system, he is not delivering here.

This is the only reason we lost. The forwards played OK and we had enough field position when the game was still a contest to win.

Woody90

Juniors
Cogger was very quiet, like he is waiting for someone to let him play.
Cogger to 7, Crosslands to 6 and let Cogger play and if that fails bring back Hastings but at least do something because that was disgustingly terrible.
Our best players were ordinary and the rest were woeful

I don’t think Cogger touching the ball more is going to help us. We were equally shit in attack when he was given the 7 with Hastings dropped.

The only positive in this is that he’s not our first choice and only in the side due to injury.

We need to replace both of Cogger and Hastings (I actually like Hastings but I don’t get the feeling he’s going to be able to recover physically).

I’d keep Gamble as 5/8 until we can develop someone in the lower grades (probably Votano who has started to play 6).

Woody90

Juniors
That's the thing. I just don't see how the coach can pick Cogger and Hastings after whatever that was. Pryce might get a go by default. How can he be worse is a fair call.

I reckon they will get one more game as sometimes a capitulation game does happen (especially for us) - if it happens again I reckon Pryce gets a run.

We’re not going to win too many more games with a shit Cogger and broken Hastings though so we’d might as well give Pryce a run to see if he shows enough to persist with developing or whether we need to move him on after his next contract.

Apey

Staff member
I forgot Dan Saifiti barely played. Heard him come on then 5 mins later heard him subbed off. Knee injury?

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Absolutely horrendous

Hastings offers f**k all apart from a one out pass and a 5th tackle kick that hands it over to the dogs back 3. Cogger at least tried hard with his running game even though nothing came off

Marzhew looks about half the player he was last year as well.

Will lose by 50 against both the storm and Penrith if they dish up this shit again.

macavity

Referee
Hastings is physically cooked. So is Brails. Cogger just has an extremely low ceiling that is below NRL standard.

Pezet is an absolute Hail Mary for a year from now.

We either find a genuine 7 in SL or lower grades, or we hand Tyson the 7 and put the likes of Schuster or Douhei (or Votano far too early) next to him and ask Ponga to be a major ball player.

Any which way you slice it we are looking grim. We have a competent backline, a forward pack that should work, but need a significant clean out at the end of the year in the spine… the most important part by a long way.

Woody90

Juniors
Yep. We’ve already spoken a lot about Hastings being shot from injuries but sadly Brails is too. We cope a bit better carrying 2 shot players with Ponga and Gamble in the side but it was very obvious last night where the problems are.

I’ve heard AOB and a lot of journos say we got complacent after a few wins but to me I didn’t see complacency…I saw a side who’s forward pack did enough but the spine couldn’t capitalise. AOB’s poor tactics exacerbated it.

I’m leaning more and more towards giving Pryce a run. He looked pretty good yesterday in attack with a couple of assists. Fully expecting he’ll probably be awful but it’s not like he’s going to risk ruining anything that’s currently working well.

I also think AOB’s tactics aren’t getting the best out of KPP. He made a run yesterday where he could have easily popped an offload which would have lead to a break but he didn’t.

I cannot believe that we still think we can just turn up and we'll win. Didn't they learn anything a couple of weeks ago when we were nearly beaten by a reserve grade Titans???

Apey

Staff member
A take from a neutral observer here. That was the worst performance from a first grade side easily this year. Yes, there have been bigger floggings....but that performance was clearly the worst.

As bad as it was, there are a few factors behind it.

1. The bye. Your team.....while not playing glittering footy over the past six weeks, have played grinding type footy very well. There was no hint of that footy last night.....I think the bye hurt that style.

2. The conditions. This has been the most underrated factor in shit performances this year. It is so difficult to play first grade footy in the wet. Knights have probably been one of the better wet weather sides this year....once again, they forgot the style last night.

3. Every single player did not play a first grade standard performance in attack. It was that bad that it is almost one of those performances you just put a line through and move onto next week.

Come on, you're a Tigers fan, let's not get too hasty saying it was the worst. Top 5, no doubt.

Zoidberg

First Grade
J Saf charged with grade 1 striking.
$3000 or 2 weeks off if they fight the charge and lose.

Yosh

Coach
None of our halves take it up into the line before they pass. They make no space for the players outside them. Clearly the opposition know that they aren't a threat when running the ball. They never turn the ball back on the inside nor do they ever back up on a break or when a forward has an arm free. Literally we could get Elliot and Jones to play their positions and it'd be the same.

We also have the worst kicking game in the league. Cogger and Hastings can't kick the ball long at all. Their kicks are making our good sets into bad sets. We have the least tries scored from kicks right?

Both Hastings and Cogger are garbage. They are basically clones as well. AOB please leave.

Zoidberg

First Grade
They never turn the ball back on the inside
This is one reason I’m not sold on Lucas taking Frizell’s spot just yet. Friz loves the inside ball (maybe a bit too often sometimes), but it does give a point of difference.
I honestly can’t remember Lucas making any significant runs with the ball last night.

Knight Tales

Bench
This is one reason I’m not sold on Lucas taking Frizell’s spot just yet. Friz loves the inside ball (maybe a bit too often sometimes), but it does give a point of difference.
I honestly can’t remember Lucas making any significant runs with the ball last night.
He and Kai were stifled by the shithouse delivery they were getting. If your play the ball speed is garbage your edges might as well be middles. Not saying your point is not valid. But against a defence which resets so well the halves were diabolical. Our forwards IMO worked pretty hard to go with them.

Knight Tales

Bench
Where is this about Brailey coming from? He's looked mostly very good this year for a player coming back from multiple major injuries.
Play the ball speed has nothing to do with Brailey. He can only distribute as fast as he gets it. His halves were the issue. He tried his arse off

Latest posts