What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 9 vs Eels @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 9: Knights v Eels

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
That’s the worst game Parra have played all year. They were there for the taking and most teams would have put them away today. We had enough ball to win this game by 3-4 tries easily but we just bumbled our way around the field and looked clueless in attack. Then to rub salt in we concede that soft try near the end when everyone just switched off.

The most frustrating part is that we aren’t attacking through the middle third at all. Our forwards are making good metres and getting quick play the balls and even getting offloads but we’re then spreading it wide and expecting to score on the wings. Watson is the missing link in the middle third right now, he would have broken this game open I think.

Considering AOB was the attacking coach at the Roosters I’m surprised we look so clueless at the moment. This needs to be addressed ASAP, we need to change it now. We’ve gotten away with it against some shit teams but teams now have the blueprint to beating us and shutting us down which is just to rush up on our centres and wingers.

Also the elephant in the room is that Pearce and Ponga have been terrible for about 5 weeks now. Ponga’s running game had disappeared and Pearce is just playing predictable football, the energy is there but he’s not thinking things through and looks like a robot.

These are things that can be fixed but AOB needs to work it out and fix it fast because teams will work us out pretty quickly if we don’t.

This one really hurts. I can see us sliding out of the 8 if we push on without major attacking changes. Why won't Ponga run? Where's the step and the cut out ball?

I'll be gutted if we go with the same spine next week.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Frustrating,

Positives
  • We are a new team in progress and although ugly remained in the game
  • The competition leaders only beat us by a converted try and we nearly leveled them
  • We did the are all of the above considering the below
Negatives
  • Pearce is so out of form he cannot even get a decent kick in, woeful last tackle options and void of any creativity- he looks like he'd rather be at home
  • Ponga see above, offers nothing, the way he is leaping for the ball is perplexing, its almost as if he doesnt actually intend to catch it .....and falls on his head?? WTF ?
  • We lack poise and composure in clutch moments, eventually the penny will drop with AOB with regards to Pearce.
  • Pearce is not a leader of men.
  • Didnt play to the whistle and let in a try, 5 min later Pearce presumes his offside and stops.....he still didnt learn his lesson.....Dumb f**k
*Pearce is a quality half just needs another half out there with him for days like this, definitely should have made someone else Captain, I reckon its just added pressure

Seage

Juniors
Well Kurt Mann has been good enough to retain his position, so simply subbing in Crossland won't do jack. Pearce and Ponga are definitely good players who are executing a poor game plan. We just need to rethink our attack and wake up to the fact teams will rush up one player to stop our sideways movement and try to bash Ponga out of the game. And piss that short ball to Fitzgibbon off.
Pearce is the definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. No wonder the Blues lost 8 in a row. Learn how to adapt, mate.
Mixed bag from Tau Moga as well. Some excellent tough carries but some sloppy efforts as well.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I'm praying to see him named. Its not like our attack can't get any worse...
I'm a supporter of Mann, I was last year when he was getting a pasting on here......but.......he is not the halves partner for Pearce in my opinion......We need a creative half for when Pearce is like today.....

I'd give Mann a rest next week and give Crosslands a run, give Pearce a rest against the Bulldogs. .....

midway through the season now...

Silent Knight

First Grade
I think Obi deep down knows Pearce can’t win us a premiership when the game is on the line. However as a good coach Obi is setting a foundation that can be built upon, and that is based on tough gritty defence.

If Obi can get our defence right every week from now until forever and have us playing regular finals footy based on that defence, I think the day will come when an emerging half will walk into a really professional system and deliver what we’ve been longing for, that third elusive premiership.

I don’t think that will be Pearce, as much as I’d love it to be.

Yosh

Coach
That’s the worst game Parra have played all year. They were there for the taking and most teams would have put them away today.
I was thinking it was more about how good our forwards and outside backs were. We shut them down. Sivo is a weapon but did nothing apart from getting their lucky/smart second try.

We are still working it out but I trust the process. How good is the team compared to our performances under Brown.

Knight Vision

First Grade
We just need to rethink our attack and wake up to the fact teams will rush up one player to stop our sideways movement and try to bash Ponga out of the game.
indeed, I also wonder how many head high tackles he has to get until someone other than him spends some time on the sidelines...

Knight Vision

First Grade
I think Obi deep down knows Pearce can’t win us a premiership when the game is on the line
100% for sure, the bloke had Cronk, Smith and Slater for a decade , he knows the mental strength required.

an emerging half will walk into a really professional system and deliver what we’ve been longing for, that third elusive premiership.

I don’t think that will be Pearce, as much as I’d love it to be.
I agree, no way known Pearce can do it, we have a track record of over a decade of his career to see that. I hated the bloke come SOO time....he did my f**king head in

Zoidberg

First Grade
I'm a supporter of Mann, I was last year when he was getting a pasting on here......but.......he is not the halves partner for Pearce in my opinion......We need a creative half for when Pearce is like today.....

I'd give Mann a rest next week and give Crosslands a run, give Pearce a rest against the Bulldogs. .....

midway through the season now...
What about Hoy to 5/8 when Watson is back?

Saw a comment of FB that Parra had players offside on their quick tap try, anybody notice this?
I just saw a pic of it. Ferguson was offside. Question is whether they would have ruled he wasn't a part of the play. Shouldn't matter.
Often they'd call those back.
Image is in 'Roasted Rugby League'. Some are claiming it's a Photoshop. Others are claiming Pearce was turned to challenge the decision and players stopped because of that.

Last edited:

Knight Vision

First Grade
What about Hoy to 5/8 when Watson is back?
I think Mann, Hoy, Watson are same same........I look at what worked for Pearce in the past and that was Maloney, as a player, he was the 7 in everything but number, could steer a team and had a good boot on him ( arguably better attacking kick than Pearce ) , I'm interested to see what this Crosslands kids got to show us. He's at least a genuine half so that's a start.......

Edit- Hoy could develop into that type of player, he certainly has a good boot on him and shows great potential.