What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mateo

muznik

Juniors
I think it was a good move by DA.

Up by 4 and he hooked him.

However if we had been down by the same margin, I reckon he couldnt have got Mateo out there quick enough.

He was doing very well up till that point, he just got to learn that those passes are simply not on in a semi and in your own 20m and when your up by 10.

Mateo is a freak.....

caylo

Bench
I think it was a good move by DA.

Up by 4 and he hooked him.

However if we had been down by the same margin, I reckon he couldnt have got Mateo out there quick enough.

Exactly, fui did the same thing against the Panthers and we lost by four on the siren. Had mateo lost us the game because of a stupid pass he would have gone home and probably wanted to slit his wrist.

Players should be smart enough to know, we are up by a small margin and we need to run the ball out of our end and put a good kick in, that is the percentage play. If you are down by 4 with 2 min to go throw a chancy pass because it is needed.

TheRam

Coach
I think the problem for him at the moment is that because he comes off the bench as an impact player he feels that he has to make every ball carry a winner.

I think if Ando gives him more time not less he would be less likely to take such risks. He should have been given at least ten minutes at the back end of the first half in my opinion as well.

I know he is a Ferrari but he needs to be taken out for more then just your Sunday arvo drive.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Mateo is our 2nd best player behind Hayne i.m.o and crucial towards how we deep we go in the payoffs. He saw an opportunity down that side with the pass and went with it . Sure it didn't come of, but it's the X-factor plays with his ability to attract defenders he brings that is all important.

It was more so Grothe's 2nd attempt at an intercept that costs us the try.

At the end of the day, we won convincingly & Mateo was great the time he was on the field. (bar that small indiscretion)

Mountain out of a molehill stuff really.

Hayne and Mateo are our double penetration or DP:sarcasm:

caylo

Bench
Ram I think DA held off because it was becoming a traditional arm wrestle and Mateos fitness is still a concern atm. We were beating them in defence and to pull Lowire or Benny off after defending so well around the edges would be silly, he needed to conserve his interchange aswell if players became tired in the heat.

TheRam

Coach
Ram I think DA held off because it was becoming a traditional arm wrestle and Mateos fitness is still a concern atm. We were beating them in defence and to pull Lowire or Benny off after defending so well around the edges would be silly, he needed to conserve his interchange aswell if players became tired in the heat.

Maybe.

bartman

Immortal
Next year I would imagibe our pack will be

Hindmarsh (backrower to do the hitups and tackles)
Smith (guy u use as a spot defender)
Mateo (skillfull forward)

We could then have Shak, Mannah and Cayless on the bench to come in and sustain teh go forward.
That's a pretty good pack there, imo. Poore and Fuifui as starters, wow.

yy_cheng

Coach
I think the problem for him at the moment is that because he comes off the bench as an impact player he feels that he has to make every ball carry a winner.

I think if Ando gives him more time not less he would be less likely to take such risks. He should have been given at least ten minutes at the back end of the first half in my opinion as well.

I know he is a Ferrari but he needs to be taken out for more then just your Sunday arvo drive.

I'm with Caylo.

If DA sees what he likes, he doesn't make changes. MK is a good example.

If MK is having a good game, he lets him play it out.

If he is not effective, Kingston comes on.

Same with most of the other players and that is good coaching.

grapeape

Juniors
both teams were extra tired playing in the heat. to play a forward for only 20mins is unwise.

da made a sub after 6mins in the second half? wtf? play 6mins then have a break.

caylo

Bench
I'm with Caylo.

If DA sees what he likes, he doesn't make changes. MK is a good example.

If MK is having a good game, he lets him play it out.

If he is not effective, Kingston comes on.

Same with most of the other players and that is good coaching.

Exactly

Jason Taylor has been critisied before for being too structured with his interchanges. Saying ok Asotasi will come off after 25 and come back on at 60min mark. A coaches job is too look at what is going on, our pack never tired and St George had Weyman come off and back on before the end of halftime... they were struggling up front, we beat them with our defence in the first 20 min mark and Anderson could have easily let that slip away by providing an easy try withja rushed interchange.

It is not to say that Mateo being brought on will result in a dragons try but how many times have you seen a player come on and drop the ball or miss a tackle. If the players are going well and are not tired I would leave them on and that is why Cayless minutes often vary from 40-60min. If we are winning the openning exchanges he may not come off till the 30min mark but he might be interchanges after 20 if he has had to make 15-20tackles in the first 20min.

yy_cheng

Coach
What about all that crap last year with Daisy and Hages

About winning each 10mins or something and then interchanging players.

I like the DA way. He listens to his gut.

Isn't it good to see DA clapping and going goo gaa in the box

salvy71

Juniors
No way would I sack him , he's far too talented to be left out of the team , BUT - he has to learn when to pass and when not to pass .....hooking him for that silly error when we were up 18-8 is the way to teach him I guess .

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Well, hooking him was best for the team, but I never believe that hooking a player is good for their development.

On the positive side of Mateo's offload was, in that set we were being belted and werent making ground. Mateo thought to himself that it was his responsibility to get us out of their by doing what he does best. It failed. But it is extremely encouraging to see that he feels he has responsibility with his role.

I remember back to last week when we were getting smashed, he got involved and was basically playing five eight. Sure it didnt work but he wanted to be the go to man, unfortunatly for Mateo, this year he isnt the go to man. He is in a supporting role, which he forgets sometimes, but rarely.

Hes doing ok, live and let live and move on. Really hope Mateo doesnt take it personally.

Stagger eel

Staff member
we are wasting his talent.

it is disrespectful.

lol...

I'll give you one thing, atleast you're rock solid and I'm sure Feleti will appreciate your loyalty...

he should stay on the bench and used as a shock weapon, to start him would be even more disrespectful to the side and the players he replaces.

geez can you imagine if Tood, Robo or Ben threw that pass...fmd!! :lol:

grapeape

Juniors
based in the logic of hooking players for making mistakes ...

... hook every player once they make a mistake?

...fools