What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mateo

Fee

Juniors
funny how people bag mateo out now when 12 mths ago,or even B4 his injury he was our best player,and he will be again.For f**ks sake the bloke htrew 1 bad pass?
Yet as is the norm here the player gets crusified..everyone loves em when they win but bag em out if they lose...great team supporters parra have..2nd to saints in that reguard

Yeah, I agree. I think its a little harsh for him to have his own thread for people to bag him over one bad pass. Give the guy a break.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I suggest the prophets of doom on this forum make him the new scapegoat to replace either Lowrie, Ben Smith, Reddy, Burt, Krisnan Inu, Robson, or Nathan Cayless.....YOU NEED someone to BLAME!!!!

You left out Stu Galbraith, Ian Henson and Paul Carriage, Lee Oudenryn and a cast of hundreds particularly Glover.

Booooooooooooo Casper
icon7.gif

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
The answer is:
1. Mateo has a HISTORY of being erratic with his passing game;
2. Anderson could not be sure that Mateo wouldn't throw another stupid pass and lose the game for us.
To get it in perspective, it was not a minor error of judgement; it was a monumentally stupid mistake that simply could not be ignored. I'm glad Daniel Anderson is on top of it.

Im sure Jarryd Hayne has made some stupid mistakes before, but I cant ever recall him being hooked. EVER!!

funny how people bag mateo out now when 12 mths ago,or even B4 his injury he was our best player,and he will be again.For f**ks sake the bloke htrew 1 bad pass?
Yet as is the norm here the player gets crusified..everyone loves em when they win but bag em out if they lose...great team supporters parra have..2nd to saints in that reguard

And people were praising Eric Grothe for Sundays game but he made alot of mistakes and misreads on the field, but people were still giving him points for the game. The Intercept try was something only he could of done. (propably because he would be the only player to be that far up in that play)

CrazyEel

Bench
????

Only one person has had any kind of go at Mateo bar saying the pass was a shocker, and that is the OP who wants him left out...that's not everyone last I checked
True, but there are some very sensitive people on here :oops:

lingard

Coach

Listen. The ONLY reason this is being discussed is that the coach REPLACED Mateo after he made that mistake. That makes it worthy of discussion! NO-ONE is crucifying Mateo. EVERYONE (anyone with half a brain) knows he is a terrific player; and, yes, he was definitely our best player earlier this year and late last year he seemed to be the only one even having a go. No question. BUT - he has a tendency to be very erratic with his passing and his decision making, and it appears that the coach is wanting to do something about that. Mateo WILL be one of the best players in the NRL next year - no question; but he HAS to listen to the coach.
Before he went on, the coach said to him "play football. but don't throw stupid passes". And what did he do? So Anderson hooked him. Fair enough.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Based on DA's early instructions to Mateo (prior to his injury) to play more of a gritty forward role, I think it's very likely that Feleti has been told be be selective with his offloads.

While I appreciate the pressure of trying to come back from injury into a team that is running pretty hot in terms of form (with one small and ultimately inconsequential hiccup), I think DA probably interpretted that pass as a clear failure to follow the coach's instructions.

Unlike a back, Mateo is a forward and replacing him is not something that should astound anyone (replacing a back, on the other hand, would be a waste of an interchange among other things).

For all we know, DA might have thought the heat was getting to Mateo. Shrug.

Mateo is a gun player and will be back to his best sooner or later.

84 Baby

Referee
he has a tendency to be very erratic with his passing and his decision making
I don't think his decision making or passing is erratic. He ALWAYS looks for the offload. Erratic for Mateo would be a settling hit up. That said it's been a long time since we've seen a chip and chase from the big fella

sooperdooper

First Grade
i cant beleive people are doubting mateo... the guy is a freak and should be in the run on team!
we are lucky to having someone like lowrie and ben smith firing as well...

mateo offers great impact off the bench

I don't think anyone doubts Mateo, It was only one "misinformed" poster.

Everyone knows Mateo is a Freak and one of the best in our team. But fair is fair, he deserved the hook after that pass.

yy_cheng

Coach
Everyone loves Mateo.

But I just don't think he has found his position in THIS TEAM.

It make take next year to see how his game slots into the way this team plays.

ATM, I am happy for him to defend and make strong hitups (which he is very good at).

Unless we need to play catchups, then let Mateo go loose.

We need him.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
DA has got this team playing with very good decisions, they make the decision on what they are going to do before they have to. Mateo to me seems like a player that plays what ever is happening at the moment. Like, if he finds that he has his arms free from a hit up, he will look for the offload.

DA wants Mateo to think to himself "ok, im gonna hit this up and offload it to Joel, if they get my arms, ill just take the tackle". At that moment, that one single moment in the game on Sunday, his only mistake, Mateo didnt thinking about what he is going to do before he made his play. Given a proper off season in the side, Mateo will be a much better contributer to the team.

If Mateo is still upset at where he is at in the team, it is very understandable. Prior to his injury, he was an integral part of the side, now he is in a support role. Very hard adjustment, just like when Finch first started at Parra, he constantly stood on Timmy Smiths toes when it wasnt Finches job.

To me "impact" players, coming off the bench can have just as an important role as those in the starting line-up.

I used to love it when Widders was at his peak, he'd be brought on late and absolutely carve them up. Same with Piggy.

General consensus, which I tend to agree with, is that Mateo is brilliant enough that playing a full game doesn't dilute his skill set ie/ you don't just get the best out of him in 20 minutes, as he has a lot more to offer.

But, if it ain't broke . . . the starting side has proven the combination; he has just come back from a lengthy injury - let him train the house down with the team over the off-season, and find him a permanent home then.

Latest posts