What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mathew Wade - Australias tough little nugget

JJ

Immortal
You realise the key prerequisite for being a top tier keeper is being able to take the simplest of catches? Scoring runs is secondary.

Keepers win the game from behind the stumps, not in front of them (unless your name is Adam Gilchrist.)

I know you know better, but to be fair Gilchrist isn't the only keeper that could bat, and Sangakarra and Flower were both better batsmen (in that they were top order players).

But yeah, Wade's pretty horrible with the gloves, surely there must be a better keeper bat that him around

Bazal

Post Whore
I know you know better, but to be fair Gilchrist isn't the only keeper that could bat, and Sangakarra and Flower were both better batsmen (in that they were top order players).

But yeah, Wade's pretty horrible with the gloves, surely there must be a better keeper bat that him around
There is.
They just dropped him

Reactions: JJ

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think Wade will do well, im backing him

Neville missed a crucial stumping in the 2nd test, so he aint a perfect keeper

JJ

Immortal
There is.
They just dropped him

Yeah but no others? I'd have expected every state to have a good quality gloveman - Nevill is fine, but not a brilliant keeper - and pretty ordinary with the bat. I guess Wade is a slightly better bat, but pretty poor with the gloves (and a twat from what I've seen)

TIGER14

Bench
Well you'd didnt know either. You said he was dropped when he wasn't. So you had no clue.

He was playing in a Victorian special 11 captaining against South Africa.

Special 11 indeed.

You still haven't answered my question about how many Sheffield Shield games you've been to.

Sanga's stats improved markedly when he gave up the gloves though, as did McCullum. Gilly was a sensation as keeping bat, as was ABDV. De Villiers average is actually better as a keeper.

I get what you're saying though.

Bazal

Post Whore
Yeah but no others? I'd have expected every state to have a good quality gloveman - Nevill is fine, but not a brilliant keeper - and pretty ordinary with the bat. I guess Wade is a slightly better bat, but pretty poor with the gloves (and a twat from what I've seen)

Tbh Wade being a better bat is a complete myth. Before his poor run of form Nevill had a higher FC average. And he's easily a better keeper.

The insistence on having a keeper who first and foremost a batsman has meant that we now pretty much have a generation of ordinary keepers bar Nevill. Handscomb, Whiteman, and a bunch of others are batsmen who can keep a bit, rather than keepers who can bat.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Well you'd didnt know either. You said he was dropped when he wasn't. So you had no clue.

He was playing in a Victorian special 11 captaining against South Africa.
lol it was a Victorianian second XI, if he was in their top side he would of been picked in the shield game against a strong NSW team. Derp derp derp.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Gilly was a much better keeper though.

I actually rated his glove work as very high quality at his peak.

It's just that his amazing batting from no.7 took all the plaudits.

He's definitely the best all-round keeper-batsman I've seen.

Though I haven't seen much of ABs glovework.

And yes, de Kock has the potential to be right up there.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Handscomb hasn't kept all the 3 Shield games this year, and neither in the last 3 matador cup games before that. Looks like concentrating to be soley a batsman

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

Flower wasnt a better batsman than Gilchrist.

JJ

Immortal
Gilly was a much better keeper though.

I actually rated his glove work as very high quality at his peak.

Yeah, his glovework was underrated, likely because of the batting - but Kumar and Flower batted at #3, and were fine with the gloves too... just different roles

Flower wasnt a better batsman than Gilchrist.

No point debating that, if you want a keeper bat in tests that bats #7 then it's Gilchrist no question, if for some reason you want one that bats #3 the other two are better options

de Villiers is an interesting one, the guy is just a freak - but at the end of the day I doubt he's kept enough to be considered in the debate.

de Kock seems very much in the Gilchrist mould... will be interesting to see how he develops, but he's got a lot of talent

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Tbh Wade being a better bat is a complete myth. Before his poor run of form Nevill had a higher FC average. And he's easily a better keeper.

The insistence on having a keeper who first and foremost a batsman has meant that we now pretty much have a generation of ordinary keepers bar Nevill. Handscomb, Whiteman, and a bunch of others are batsmen who can keep a bit, rather than keepers who can bat.

Matt Wade Test average 34.61 (2 centuries)
Matt Wade FC average 39.13

Peter Nevill Test average 22.28 (0 centuries)
Peter Nevill FC average 37.20

Facts are not a myth,facts are facts

Game set match Wadetrain

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Adam Gilchrist is the most influential cricketer in cricketing history,now every merkin keeper around the world can bat well(except Peter Nevill)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
problem is he cant keep

while we're on stats, what about Wade's bye's

Latest posts