What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Ballin off contract at the end of 2012

Daneel

Bench
Matt Ballin is a tackling machine, that's it. Ballin wouldn't come for less than $280k, more like $300k+ I'd rather go for one of the youngsters from Dragons or Titans.

Titans have Srama locked up. That Lawton kid played well when given a chance.
Dragons have Cameron King and Mitch Rein, both can play

:lol: 300+ for Mat Ballin, that will do me. I would have said 250 to 275 but i am happy to admit im no expert like others seem to think they are.

natheel

Coach
:lol: 300+ for Mat Ballin, that will do me. I would have said 250 to 275 but i am happy to admit im no expert like others seem to think they are.

yeah isn't worth 300+ but his manager will push for it

Origin hooker
2 time gf winner

he could get a good pay out somewhere like Sharks i reckon

MrT

Juniors
Rein is 100% south coast kid he won't leave he lives 5 minutes from me and deadset he lives and breathes the dragons

King would be a good pick up

what about aaron payne....he may be a bit older but he's a good player still. sign him up for the last 3 years of his career would bring a professional outlook to that position

Tony Williams was 100% Parra kid but look what $$ do. If Rein was to play second fiddle and we offered the right $$ and a starting spot anything could happen.

My point regarding these young guys is we one of them misses out at each club and we need to pounce.

Payne is a good hooker and would bring good experience. Can't see him leaving cowboys

MrT

Juniors

Origin hooker
2 time gf winner

That's the price WE would have to pay. Never said he was worth it.
Sharks have a better hooker Isaac De Gois

Eels Dude

Coach
to be brutally honest

we should've kept both morts and robbo

We should have kept at least one of them. If we're not screwed already we'll certain be screwed if we have injuries to either MK, Roberts, or Sandow as we have absolutely no depth in halves or hooker positions whatsoever. If Keating or Maguire are injured who do we bring in, Nathan Smith? Or if either Roberts or Sandow or injured who's next in line, Marmin Barba?

natheel

Coach

and thats the scary part. we are so unappealing at the moment. we need to pay overs for players who shouldn't command that money

our best bet at the moment is to give some young kid a shot from wenty or NYC and see how he goes. but sk won't do it, he re-signed MK for 2 years last year he will try to save face

Daneel

Bench

Origin hooker
2 time gf winner

Origin and winning gfs are the reason i pushed him as high as 275, even then i think that might be a little more than what he would get offered. Like i said i wouldn't have a clue, marquee players are easy to price the next level of players seems to depend how hard up teams are for their particular position. I could be wrong but i don't think to many teams are looking for a hooker at the moment. To be honest i don't even know if we are, but we should be.

natheel

Coach
We should have kept at least one of them. If we're not screwed already we'll certain be screwed if we have injuries to either MK, Roberts, or Sandow as we have absolutely no depth in halves or hooker positions whatsoever. If Keating or Maguire are injured who do we bring in, Nathan Smith? Or if either Roberts or Sandow or injured who's next in line, Marmin Barba?

Barba is injured too

what about Jason Wehbe? how's he going?

Nathan Smith is our only chance for back up hooker.

whose our our NYC hooker?

we are in such a bad position in halves and hooker

Daneel

Bench

See once again you are using words like we would have to pay, you don't know that, you could be right but you don't know that do you.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Matt Ballin is a tackling machine, that's it.

Agreed. He's only slightly better than Keating, if at all. At our club he would look just as bad until we sort our shit out.

Ballin wouldn't come for less than $280k, more like $300k+

Sounds fair to me. He's an average player playing in a great team, and that will have pushed his price up. Any club that wants to take him off Manly would have to pay a lot more than they would and I doubt they would be offering him much above $200k or its equivalent under next year's revised salary cap.

I'd rather go for one of the youngsters from Dragons or Titans.

Titans have Srama locked up. That Lawton kid played well when given a chance.
Dragons have Cameron King and Mitch Rein, both can play

Definitely. There's plenty of hookers out there as good as Matt Ballin, with the potential for being a lot better. They're the ones we should be looking at.

Eels Dude

Coach
Barba is injured too

what about Jason Wehbe? how's he going?

Nathan Smith is our only chance for back up hooker.

whose our our NYC hooker?

we are in such a bad position in halves and hooker

That's right. It surprises me that you have a squad of 25, you have no backup players for the #6, #7 or #9 jersey apart from Casey Maguire who is part of our first choice 17 in the number 14 jersey anyway. Those are 3 of the 4 most important positions on the field.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We should have kept at least one of them.

I would have kept Robson for sure, but he would have been backup in the halves and maybe a number 14 in first grade.

He obviously wanted a chance to play halfback in first grade so he went where the opportunity was. There was no way he was going to play first grade ahead of Sandow or Roberts here, so why would he have stayed?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
but sk won't do it, he re-signed MK for 2 years last year he will try to save face

It's nothing to do with saving face mate, he will continue to play him for the same reason he signed him - because he believes he can play.

Personally I don't think Keating's shit either. He's not a playmaker but he doesn't need to be.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
See once again you are using words like we would have to pay, you don't know that, you could be right but you don't know that do you.

Of course we don't know it but we can have a fair guess. We know what the salary cap is, we know how many players it covers (and therefore we know the average salary) and we know the minimum wage.

Then when we get the odd report of how much certain players are on it gives us a good frame of reference to have a fair stab at a player's salary. We could be wrong but if that were the case we wouldn't be able to get so close to consensus on what we think a player is worth.

I reckon player salaries is one area the league community has a good collective grasp on, and the reason for that is because those salaries lie in a fairly limited range anyway (i.e. $55k to about $700k with an average of exactly $172k).

Daneel

Bench
Of course we don't know it but we can have a fair guess. We know what the salary cap is, we know how many players it covers (and therefore we know the average salary) and we know the minimum wage.

Then when we get the odd report of how much certain players are on it gives us a good frame of reference to have a fair stab at a player's salary. We could be wrong but if that were the case we wouldn't be able to get so close to consensus on what we think a player is worth.

I reckon player salaries is one area the league community has a good collective grasp on, and the reason for that is because those salaries lie in a fairly limited range anyway (i.e. $55k to about $700k with an average of exactly $172k).

Yes you are right, and i used the same info you used to come up with a different answer, so as i said you just don't know. I could be right Mr T could be right but he is stating it as fact and it isn't.
What if Manly don't even try to re-sign ballin, with upgrades to daly, and trying to re-sign players like stewart and williams that could happen. Then you could assume he could come cheaper than what he would if Manly did offer him a $200k contract.

Having said all that, i would think you should be able to find some young player with plenty of potential a hell of a lot cheaper, so he certainly wouldn't be an option for me if i had to pay 250+ for him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's right. It surprises me that you have a squad of 25, you have no backup players for the #6, #7 or #9 jersey apart from Casey Maguire who is part of our first choice 17 in the number 14 jersey anyway. Those are 3 of the 4 most important positions on the field.

But we don't have a squad of 25, we have a squad of 35: http://www.parraeels.com.au/default.aspx?s=profile-player

See? Thirty-five faces. The NRL might demand they be separated into two tiers for administrative purposes, but on the ground they're all part of the same squad. Being in the second tier group doesn't make them any less likely to play first grade - look at Kenny Sio.

MrT

Juniors
Yes I don't know the exact dollar, but I bet I'm within $30k or 10%.

I'm not his manager, but seriously who cares.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes you are right, and i used the same info you used to come up with a different answer, so as i said you just don't know.

What he's on doesn't matter since it's all hypothetical anyway. For the purposes of this discussion we only need to know the base salary, the average salary, and have a rough idea of the top end salary, and we know all those things.

In light of that I reckon he's on somewhere between $172k and $200k right now, which is what he's worth. How much do you reckon he'd be on?

I could be right Mr T could be right but he is stating it as fact and it isn't.

No he's not, he's stating it as his opinion.

Just like everything we post here.

What if Manly don't even try to re-sign ballin

Why wouldn't they? He is their starting hooker. Even if they thought another club was likely to offer him more they would at least make him an offer.

There's just no reason they wouldn't unless they already had a replacement lined up.

with upgrades to daly, and trying to re-sign players like stewart and williams that could happen. Then you could assume he could come cheaper than what he would if Manly did offer him a $200k contract.

Manly will definitely offer him a contract, and I can't see it being less than what he's worth (about $170k-$200k ). Assuming they didn't then it would depend on how many clubs did offer a contract and the relative merits of each.

Having said all that, i would think you should be able to find some young player with plenty of potential a hell of a lot cheaper, so he certainly wouldn't be an option for me if i had to pay 250+ for him.

I think all the young hookers with potential coming off contract at the same time makes something of a buyer's market, and should push their prices down somewhat.

Daneel

Bench
What he's on doesn't matter since it's all hypothetical anyway. For the purposes of this discussion we only need to know the base salary, the average salary, and have a rough idea of the top end salary, and we know all those things.

In light of that I reckon he's on somewhere between $172k and $200k right now, which is what he's worth. How much do you reckon he'd be on?

No he's not, he's stating it as his opinion.

Just like everything we post here.

Why wouldn't they? He is their starting hooker. Even if they thought another club was likely to offer him more they would at least make him an offer.

There's just no reason they wouldn't unless they already had a replacement lined up.

Manly will definitely offer him a contract, and I can't see it being less than what he's worth (about $170k-$200k ). Assuming they didn't then it would depend on how many clubs did offer a contract and the relative merits of each.

I think all the young hookers with potential coming off contract at the same time makes something of a buyer's market, and should push their prices down somewhat.

About that.

No he stated it as a fact, he didn't say he might cost to much or he could cost to much he said he would, that is stating it as a fact.

Maybe they have got a replacement lined up, but they haven't signed him yet and they have much bigger fish to fry. I think they will keep him, but maybe offer him less if they make all the other signings they want and thats all that is left under the cap. If they don't sign williams and co then its a mute point if the want to keep him they will.

Some people were a little shocked when Manly let hodgkinson go, i wasn't id seen daly play and thought him a better prospect. Maybe they have a young bloke running around no one knows about, unlikely i know, but they have done it before.

Latest posts