What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty re-signs until end of 2019

BennyV

Referee
Hope you’re right. But the folding stuff speaks many languages
While true, Dufty (at this stage of his career) isnt going to be offered insane fullback dollars. As brilliantly as he is playing, uts only his first full year of NRL and now that he's established himself as a strike weapon, other teams will be on the hunt to nullify him and its yet to be seen how he adapts to that. He's also been in a dominant team running in the Top 4 all year (yes, he's contributed to that success) but it's yet to be seen how he adapts through a team form slump. There are little holes in his game still to plug. Plenty of examples of small-ish, zippy fullbacks who fade away after a good season or two and considering the calibre of fullbacks running around these days (Dufty isn't in the top echelon with Tedesco, Ponga, RTS and co) he wont be offered marquee dollars at this stage of his career.

If we make him a reasonable, 3-4 year offer then we shouldnt have any problems keeping him.

hazzbeen

Bench
I love the Dragons too . But if someone offered me big money that would change my life and was told to become a Rooster or Storm or Manly player , I know what id be doing , Luv ya but see ya .....

st.phil

Bench
Still have in shock re some of the opinions re Duffs "defence". I'm calling small man discrimination. 300k ? Laughable. He likely making that already based on potential. He is now a proven match winner who gas single handedly won us games this year.

His positional play / game IQ is most important, that is at a good standard, evolving and already better than Dugans was IMO (not highest watermark but still)

His speed in covering is valuable. Again... all on the improve. I'd be worried re storm and sharks targeting him, will fetch 600k on open market I'd say

Still have in shock re some of the opinions re Duffs "defence". I'm calling small man discrimination. 300k ? Laughable. He likely making that already based on potential. He is now a proven match winner who gas single handedly won us games this year.

His positional play / game IQ is most important, that is at a good standard, evolving and already better than Dugans was IMO (not highest watermark but still)

His speed in covering is valuable. Again... all on the improve. I'd be worried re storm and sharks targeting him, will fetch 600k on open market I'd say
The opinions here stun me to be honest, he’s the most promising prospect I’ve seen come through the junior ranks is years.

JDHD

Juniors
Ben Barba won a Dally M in 2012 and his defence that year was appalling. If anyone got through the line, he was a speed hump. A few years later at Cronulla, he stops Ben Creagh on the line with a great lift and drive tackle. Duff’s defence will come.

BennyV

Referee
I love the Dragons too . But if someone offered me big money that would change my life and was told to become a Rooster or Storm or Manly player , I know what id be doing , Luv ya but see ya .....

But the thing is, they wont offer him insane dollars. Roosters have Tedesco, who is waiting in line for Slater to hand him the 'Worlds Best Fullback' trophy. Storm have been grooming Hughes to take over form Slater for a couple of years and based on the way he tore us to shreds, I doubt they are too worried. They also have Ryan Papenhuyzen on their books who is anothe brilliant long-term option. Sharks are a maybe, but considering the dollars they've pumped into Moylan and Dugan, I can't imagine they'd go sniffing for Dufty. More chance they'd bring Barba back.

I'm hard pushed thinking of a team without an equally-credentialed fullback on their books that would pull out all stops for Dufty. His next contract will not be his biggest - we offer him a 3-4 year deal that reflects his ability without overstating his place in the league, and he will stay without a worry.

hazzbeen

Bench
But the thing is, they wont offer him insane dollars. Roosters have Tedesco, who is waiting in line for Slater to hand him the 'Worlds Best Fullback' trophy. Storm have been grooming Hughes to take over form Slater for a couple of years and based on the way he tore us to shreds, I doubt they are too worried. They also have Ryan Papenhuyzen on their books who is anothe brilliant long-term option. Sharks are a maybe, but considering the dollars they've pumped into Moylan and Dugan, I can't imagine they'd go sniffing for Dufty. More chance they'd bring Barba back.

I'm hard pushed thinking of a team without an equally-credentialed fullback on their books that would pull out all stops for Dufty. His next contract will not be his biggest - we offer him a 3-4 year deal that reflects his ability without overstating his place in the league, and he will stay without a worry.
Benny I see your point I for one hope he stays on long term ....

st.phil

Bench

Hard pressed top get a contract? Wow Dude... he is the most approaching the most damaging attacking FB in the comp and he's barely played 20 games, statistically he is ahead of most. If Ponga didn't surface this year, he is all you'd be hearing about. I hope you are right... but know you aint - talent scouts have significantly more of a clue than posters on this forum.

Bench
Millward needs to get a TPA for Dufty. Signing him now is a must. Pay him what he is worth and Dufty will repay us for years ahead.

Crush

Coach
Dufty is a must keep. He is an absolute match winner and he's just getting started. I love his confidence, he just backs his pace.
Ive noticed he often scores under the posts too, not content with scoring out wide he takes guys on to better his scoring position. He's cocky and confident. Love him.

BennyV

Referee
Hard pressed top get a contract? Wow Dude... he is the most approaching the most damaging attacking FB in the comp and he's barely played 20 games, statistically he is ahead of most. If Ponga didn't surface this year, he is all you'd be hearing about. I hope you are right... but know you aint - talent scouts have significantly more of a clue than posters on this forum.
Ahh yes, I definitely stated in clear English 'He will be hard pressed to get a contract'. That's 100% a thing that is written in the post you quoted. Well done for picking up that obvious thing that I said.

xvfSW093tSSLMA6qYP00xG9OKL1w1Sch7C_Cs61kdmo5uNgaBEPdBYjG6HmrQGCQBhKgjOv3WDkt5W2rLQ42s-IQajIczL4lXk5XuixuBiJJ_S4jBANc3w=w300-h256-nc

SaintElroy

Juniors
Love the duff, brings so much to our attack. My only gripe is he needs to learn to diffuse the ball in the air and not let it bounce. As for defence? He is a full back we don’t need him defending, they need to get past the other 12 men defending in the line before getting to him , blame them for letting the opposition through maybe?

Old Timer

Coach
If you removed the Dufty highlights from our season thus far it would prove pretty boring watching with very few players getting multiple appearances in the video.
Without him we are probably sitting somewhere between 8-10 on the ladder.
It is true we don’t know his impact behind an average team or a bad form slump but there is plenty of evidence for the good teams that need a strike player to round them out.
Millward should try and get the job done now & Dufty should wait as long as he can but one thing is for sure he is worth plenty already and offering some piss poor contract based on allegiances is just plain stupid.
I wonder if Millward could have in fact initially got Dufty past 2019 but his belief and outrageous statement re Field being the anointed FB actually f**ked that up?

saintm

Juniors
If you removed the Dufty highlights from our season thus far it would prove pretty boring watching with very few players getting multiple appearances in the video.
Without him we are probably sitting somewhere between 8-10 on the ladder.
It is true we don’t know his impact behind an average team or a bad form slump but there is plenty of evidence for the good teams that need a strike player to round them out.
Millward should try and get the job done now & Dufty should wait as long as he can but one thing is for sure he is worth plenty already and offering some piss poor contract based on allegiances is just plain stupid.
I wonder if Millward could have in fact initially got Dufty past 2019 but his belief and outrageous statement re Field being the anointed FB actually f**ked that up?
Agee...I think your spot on!!