What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty re-signs until end of 2019

BennyV

Referee
If you removed the Dufty highlights from our season thus far it would prove pretty boring watching with very few players getting multiple appearances in the video.
Without him we are probably sitting somewhere between 8-10 on the ladder.
It is true we don’t know his impact behind an average team or a bad form slump but there is plenty of evidence for the good teams that need a strike player to round them out.
Millward should try and get the job done now & Dufty should wait as long as he can but one thing is for sure he is worth plenty already and offering some piss poor contract based on allegiances is just plain stupid.
I wonder if Millward could have in fact initially got Dufty past 2019 but his belief and outrageous statement re Field being the anointed FB actually f**ked that up?
My question is, which team is going to pay huge dollars for him? Possibly Sharks (although they have some options and greater weaknesses), Titans or Cowboys. The rest are fairly well set. If we offer him a contract that reflects his ability, but also his experience and gaps, then there's no reason he wont stay. Those suggesting to offer him marquee money at this stage are kidding themselves.

saintm

Juniors
Yeah Sharks really need Dufty with Holmes, Dugan and Moylan. Every club need 4 fullbacks just in case the other 3 get injured.
True! But Holmes is reportedly leaving at end next year nth Queensland. Dugan is always injured and getting older and they play Moylan in the halves. Maybe not so far fetched!

Old Timer

Coach
My question is, which team is going to pay huge dollars for him? Possibly Sharks (although they have some options and greater weaknesses), Titans or Cowboys. The rest are fairly well set. If we offer him a contract that reflects his ability, but also his experience and gaps, then there's no reason he wont stay. Those suggesting to offer him marquee money at this stage are kidding themselves.
In your case you have not put forward a $$$$ amount that you would see as reasonable given the considerations you have outlined so perhaos you could suggest a number?
Someonelse suggested $300k which is ridiculous.
Someone else was pushing the “he wants to play for us so we should allow for that” button equally ridiculous.
If we did win the GF this year or even a SF and Dufty scores a try or 2, almost a prerequisite for us to progress IMO then what is he worth?
Storm are probably short a FB after this year and there are plenty of other clubs that could exercise various options to fit him in. Newcastle for instance Ponga to 5/8 Dufty to FB.
So Millward IMO should have had him tied up for 1 more year and then we would know for sure within that period what he is going to be worth but he has got us into a “sit on the pot” so “shit or get off” situation.
This time I think we need to shit.

BennyV

Referee
In your case you have not put forward a $$$$ amount that you would see as reasonable given the considerations you have outlined so perhaos you could suggest a number?
Someone else was pushing the “he wants to play for us so we should allow for that” button equally ridiculous.
If we did win the GF this year or even a SF and Dufty scores a try or 2, almost a prerequisite for us to progress IMO then what is he worth?
Storm are probably short a FB after this year and there are plenty of other clubs that could exercise various options to fit him in. Newcastle for instance Ponga to 5/8 Dufty to FB.
So Millward IMO should have had him tied up for 1 more year and then we would know for sure within that period what he is going to be worth but he has got us into a “sit on the pot” so “shit or get off” situation.
Well for one, he is tied up for an extra year. Doesnt come off contract unit the end of 2019. IMO, that is a perfect situation for both parties, provided both are willing to act when the time in necessary, which is looking like the back end of this year. There's actually no need to panic.
I havent put forward a dollar amount because I dont know what the going rate is for a fullback, considering the number of quality fullbacks running around these days. If we were to extend this year then I would say a 3-4 year deal averaging around the $500-550k mark would lock him in without a second thought. Keeping in mind that Ponga is on $600k (thereabouts) for the next 3 years too.

What I dont want is to end up with another Mitch Rein, where we've got a lemon locked into a big dollar long term contract because he failed to develop past his first breakout year.

Storm are not short a fullback, they have Hughes and Papenhuyzen looking at taking over from Slater, the former has been groomed for a few years (tore us a new asshole a few weeks ago, if you recall). And no, Newcastle gain little to nothing shifting their star fullback to 5/8 in order to spend huge dollars on another young fullback. If we are going down that path then any number of teams 'could' be interested, but in reality not many will because its about balance. As I said, the only ones I can see are Sharks OR Cowboys (depending on what happens with Holmes) and Titans. And Bulldogs. The rest would be fairly comfortable with their fullback options and wouldnt go re-arranging their long term choices to fit in a kid after 1 breakout season.

Drag Queen

Bench
I guess the one that gave me the most laughs was from a poster who stated we would be in 8th-10th place without him by looking at the highlights reel. Do we also have a lowlights reel? Of course not.

st.phil

Bench
Wow dude... you are either a dog with a bone or millward trying to keep the asking down. Fairly well set vs marquee match winner... what would you choose? I'd say a majority of clubs would be very interested... are you seeing what rookie contracts are worth now? 5 to 700k PA based on potential. We had to pay big bux just to retain Luch! Honestly bro...

ALSGI

Bench
He’s played 20+ games straight in our spine at FB. He’s saved our bacon a few times, added to our attack nearly every other time. Sure he’s made some mistakes, no more than others.
He’s worth $600k + now, if he continues to improve (as he should) he’ll be offered a lot more by plenty of clubs.

Upgrade, extend NOW I say, we know what he can do, the main risk is how much better will he get.

Would I risk paying overs to secure a signature ?
Yes, absolutely especially for a long term, say 5 / 6 yr contract.

BennyV

Referee
Wow dude... you are either a dog with a bone or millward trying to keep the asking down. Fairly well set vs marquee match winner... what would you choose? I'd say a majority of clubs would be very interested... are you seeing what rookie contracts are worth now? 5 to 700k PA based on potential. We had to pay big bux just to retain Luch! Honestly bro...
We didnt pay anywhere near $5-600k for Luch.

And not a dog with a bone, just a realist. These sort of targets your setting result in things like Will Zilman on huge dollar 5 year contracts, Chris Sandow to Parra on marquee dollars and so on. Every team would love to have the best of the best in every position, but it's unrealistic and outside of the teams I've mentioned, everyone else has a comparable fullback (based on experience, consistency and deficiencies) and more important gaps in their roster to fill. For example, Tigpies have Mbye - now regardless whether or not you think Dufty is a bit ahead or lightyears ahead, Mbye is a very servicable fullback. They have large issues in their forward pack and at hooker. They arent going to go and spend big dollars getting a minor (at best) upgrade at fullback when their dollars are better spent upgrading their forwards.

Its about balance. There is an abundance of highly talented fullbacks who are as able to break a game apart as Dufty is, so other teams are going to focus their recruitment on areas where the market has less to offer and they require gaps filled.

I say again - we offer the kid market value and a reasonably lengthen contract, we should have no issues keeping him.

Some people in this forum must have got their recruitment and retention philosophies straight out of the Raelene Castle handbook!

Old Timer

Coach
I guess the one that gave me the most laughs was from a poster who stated we would be in 8th-10th place without him by looking at the highlights reel. Do we also have a lowlights reel? Of course not.
Your post shows you have little knowledge of the game
His lowlights will be predominantly in the games we have lost
His highlights will predominantly in the games we have won
3 or 4 wins could easily have been losses without his individual brilliance that won the game for us
None of the losses are as a direct result of Dufty’s individual effort but due to a team down on energy and with a piss poor game plan.
3 extra losses would see us in what position?

hazzbeen

Bench
Your post shows you have little knowledge of the game
His lowlights will be predominantly in the games we have lost
His highlights will predominantly in the games we have won
3 or 4 wins could easily have been losses without his individual brilliance that won the game for us
None of the losses are as a direct result of Dufty’s individual effort but due to a team down on energy and with a piss poor game plan.
3 extra losses would see us in what position?
Said before Dufty is a game breaker that we have been missing . A back line that has been screaming out for speed , Dufty has it in spades ....

dragonssamy61

First Grade
He’s played 20+ games straight in our spine at FB. He’s saved our bacon a few times, added to our attack nearly every other time. Sure he’s made some mistakes, no more than others.
He’s worth $600k + now, if he continues to improve (as he should) he’ll be offered a lot more by plenty of clubs.

Upgrade, extend NOW I say, we know what he can do, the main risk is how much better will he get.

Would I risk paying overs to secure a signature ?
Yes, absolutely especially for a long term, say 5 / 6 yr contract.

They are working on it now

Frank Facer

First Grade
Well for one, he is tied up for an extra year. Doesnt come off contract unit the end of 2019. IMO, that is a perfect situation for both parties, provided both are willing to act when the time in necessary, which is looking like the back end of this year. There's actually no need to panic.
I havent put forward a dollar amount because I dont know what the going rate is for a fullback, considering the number of quality fullbacks running around these days. If we were to extend this year then I would say a 3-4 year deal averaging around the $500-550k mark would lock him in without a second thought. Keeping in mind that Ponga is on $600k (thereabouts) for the next 3 years too.

What I dont want is to end up with another Mitch Rein, where we've got a lemon locked into a big dollar long term contract because he failed to develop past his first breakout year.

Storm are not short a fullback, they have Hughes and Papenhuyzen looking at taking over from Slater, the former has been groomed for a few years (tore us a new asshole a few weeks ago, if you recall). And no, Newcastle gain little to nothing shifting their star fullback to 5/8 in order to spend huge dollars on another young fullback. If we are going down that path then any number of teams 'could' be interested, but in reality not many will because its about balance. As I said, the only ones I can see are Sharks OR Cowboys (depending on what happens with Holmes) and Titans. And Bulldogs. The rest would be fairly comfortable with their fullback options and wouldnt go re-arranging their long term choices to fit in a kid after 1 breakout season.
I think Ponga looks like a natural 5/8 and would be looking to play him there. If I was Newy/Brown etc, I would be looking to sign Ben Barba to play fullback for them next year, if possible and move Ponga to 5/8. As someone on the Newy forum said, top line halves are harder to come by then top line fullbacks. I could see Ponga becoming the best 5/8 in the game. If he stay's fullback, then he will become the best fullback in the game. I think Ponga already has the best passing game in the comp. I think he will handle defending in the front line well. Playing him 5/8 would get him closer to the game. He would probably develop a very good kicking game due to his Aussie Rules background.

Frank Facer

First Grade
That statement that we would probably be 8th to 10th place without Dufty is spot on. I doubt that any of Dufty's errors have cost us any games, but his brilliance has won us numerous games.

Old Timer

Coach
I think Ponga looks like a natural 5/8 and would be looking to play him there. If I was Newy/Brown etc, I would be looking to sign Ben Barba to play fullback for them next year, if possible and move Ponga to 5/8. As someone on the Newy forum said, top line halves are harder to come by then top line fullbacks. I could see Ponga becoming the best 5/8 in the game. If he stay's fullback, then he will become the best fullback in the game. I think Ponga already has the best passing game in the comp. I think he will handle defending in the front line well. Playing him 5/8 would get him closer to the game. He would probably develop a very good kicking game due to his Aussie Rules background.
Great assessment and I can see that move happening quite easily
Halves a damn site harder to get and Ponga has every characteristic to make that his home and be the best we might see in our life time.
Brownie is no dill and I expect him to keep all options open and if he could get Dufty or the equivalent he wouldn’t hesitate.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Great assessment and I can see that move happening quite easily
Halves a damn site harder to get and Ponga has every characteristic to make that his home and be the best we might see in our life time.
Brownie is no dill and I expect him to keep all options open and if he could get Dufty or the equivalent he wouldn’t hesitate.
I agree. I would love for us to have Ponga 5/8 and Dufty fullback and I think Brown would too.

Drag Queen

Bench
Jeezus dude, how much did we spend to retain Luchie? I wouldn't have a clue bro. Enlighten me.

BennyV

Referee
I think it’s definitely likely over the course of his career. But over the next 3-4 years he should remain at fullback, particularly considering the Pearce and Watson combo at the Knights.

But you’ve eloquently backed up my point - top shelf halves are harder to come by than top shelf fullbacks. Young fullbacks brimming with potential are a plenty.
Hence, I’m not concerned about losing Dufty unless we mess him around.

ouryears

Bench
We did, but it went for one second only.
Highlights much much much l o n g e r

Latest posts