What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Old Timer

Coach
You're right Drag. The negativity is astounding. I don't usually get involved in this sort of conversation. And don't usually speak with him because of the negativity and people can't have a reasonable conversation with him as it always turns into an 'I know best' slanging match.
I see you & the queen bee are having a little dislike fest about me after having me on ignore or not responding to any of my posts during the season
You again now wish to jump into and offer criticism of conversation between others and have the audacity to call me negative.
Talk about fair weather sailors.
It’s ok for jak to offer comments / criticism on opinions yet offer no opinion himself.
For the record if people wish to bask in the glory of the signing of Allgood, Latimore and a few yet to play 1st grade signings by all means do so but dont expect me to consider it good enough as it most certainly isn’t if you want to win a comp but then again maybe just winning a few games is good enough for you, jak & DQ.

jak

Bench
You're right Drag. The negativity is astounding. I don't usually get involved in this sort of conversation. And don't usually speak with him because of the negativity and people can't have a reasonable conversation with him as it always turns into an 'I know best' slanging match.
agree 100% but some people make it harder than others, makes you wonder what team they follow.

denis preston

First Grade
I have to agree , I am tired of mediocrity.
The form of Latimore did supprise me . So I am not as concerned in signing him. In regards to Allgood and Kerr, if a player does not put pressure on for first grade why would you resign him.

The problem for us is lack of TP deals so we have to play money ball better than anyone. Allgood was never signed to play first grade ( and would be on close to min wage ) nor was latimore but his form over Lawrie demanded it. Kerr is a work in progress that doesn't look like it is progressing at all but then again we haven't thrown the bank at him in his new contract. The signing of the wingers & new forward is a classic money ball tactic. If one of these three becomes a regular or better NRL player than it is a success. The money for a very very good NRL or SOO standard player is there to be spent and the club is rightfully biding it's time to get the right player, which looks like a centre / Fullback.It may come before Xmas or mid season next year. We also have to concentrate on retaining Simms and shoring up Lomax , Robson, Field & Dufty ,should they have breakout seasons next year.
The nuances of handling the salary cap are lost on a lot here .

possm

Coach
If Field and Dufty do not step up and improve there defence they need to be let go. I can assure you if you can’t tackle Bellamy and Robinson would not have them.

The problem is that SGI have been operating on these 'IFs" for quite some time now. You can bet that both will be extended in 2019 in the hope they will impove.

TruSaint

Referee
Will Allgood see any 1st grade next year ? I doubt it. He is going on 30 years old.

Not all players in our squad can be rep players or even regular 1st graders but they must offer something, so as not to take up space and the 30 man squad limit.

Yes, minimal pay may sound good, but if im correct now its 100k per player, soon to be 120k per player. So the question is these depth players are really strengthening the ISP squad and not our 1st grade squad. 2 or 3 'depth" players could add up to 3-400k, in which case a more established forward would be ideal, or using those funds to channel in junior depth.

Latimore, for me has earnt his spot. Consistently plays well, hard worker and not breaking the bank.

Its a balancing act really.

As mentioned by Denis, TPA's are our achilles heal.

possm

Coach
Will Allgood see any 1st grade next year ? I doubt it. He is going on 30 years old.

Not all players in our squad can be rep players or even regular 1st graders but they must offer something, so as not to take up space and the 30 man squad limit.

Yes, minimal pay may sound good, but if im correct now its 100k per player, soon to be 120k per player. So the question is these depth players are really strengthening the ISP squad and not our 1st grade squad. 2 or 3 'depth" players could add up to 3-400k, in which case a more established forward would be ideal, or using those funds to channel in junior depth.

Latimore, for me has earnt his spot. Consistently plays well, hard worker and not breaking the bank.

I believe Hunt has a TPA and I do not understand why WIN TV customers can't provide TPA. If a process similar to the Roosters, Dogs, Storm and Panthers was put in place, I'm sure the TPA excuse would disappear.

TruSaint

Referee
I believe Hunt has a TPA and I do not understand why WIN TV customers can't provide TPA. If a process similar to the Roosters, Dogs, Storm and Panthers was put in place, I'm sure the TPA excuse would disappear.

I understand your point mate, but unsure if Win " customers" would do so. Also, unsure as to whether or not an affiliated company / owner can actually through its customer base, provide a TPA. Some one may clarify.

Bottom line for me is that as long as we cant reach out and secure funding above the cap, we will always be in a hard spot.

Thus my concern on securing / extending fringe NRL players, spending time in ISP, taking up cap space and the 30 player quota. Along with the opportunity cost associated with blocking juniors coming through.

We have a decent squad, very good starting pack, 2 good halves, but lack of quality in our backs and forward depth. Just my opinion, unless there is a massive signing or 2, we will again be scrapping into the 8 at best. Hope I am wrong.

kit66

Bench
If Field and Dufty do not step up and improve there defence they need to be let go. I can assure you if you can’t tackle Bellamy and Robinson would not have them.
Hunt and especially Widdop miss around 6 or 7 tackles a game. Dufty has scored more tries than them and has nearly as many try assists. Without Dufty ( or Field if he gets a game ) we have no speed to replace them and a massive hole in our attacking potential.
Letting Dufty go would be insane, just ask Dino.

Belta

Juniors
Hunt and especially Widdop miss around 6 or 7 tackles a game. Dufty has scored more tries than them and has nearly as many try assists. Without Dufty ( or Field if he gets a game ) we have no speed to replace them and a massive hole in our attacking potential.
Letting Dufty go would be insane, just ask Dino.

Good point. With Hunt the second on missed tackles behind Maloney and Widdop not far behind those two have to sort thier crap out. Also Dufty being our leading try scorer, id agree it’d be insane if we’d not lose him unless he was replaced by a try scorer ie Holmes

hazzbeen

Bench
Good point. With Hunt the second on missed tackles behind Maloney and Widdop not far behind those two have to sort thier crap out. Also Dufty being our leading try scorer, id agree it’d be insane if we’d not lose him unless he was replaced by a try scorer ie Holmes
I think they miss more tackles because the opposing teams send more traffic in their direction .... They are our chief play makers .....

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Yes, agree Latimore is value and has earnt his place.

Can't see the sense in having Allgood if he's pushing 30 and is yet to crack first grade.
Must be there for when Plan B is not activated and we suffer a loss of forward during Origin or alike.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I think they miss more tackles because the opposing teams send more traffic in their direction .... They are our chief play makers .....

Yes - I have my reservations about Widdop as a 5/8, particularly his passing game, but his defence is top drawer- he "cleans up" the opposition half breaks and also makes the "last ditch "tackles that stop certain tries- if anything, I believe he does too much in defence and gasses himself for his attacking and kicking responsibilities. I still believe his best position is lock

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Yes, agree Latimore is value and has earnt his place.

Can't see the sense in having Allgood if he's pushing 30 and is yet to crack first grade.
Must be there for when Plan B is not activated and we suffer a loss of forward during Origin or alike.

I could hardly believe what I saw last year- no longer the languid, long drink of water, Lats looked angry, ran hard and was trying to hurt people in tackles- perhaps all that time with Graham on those bus trips is having an effect.

Millward claimed that Allgood was challenging for first grade last year but got injured. Sounds like self serving BS to me. I watched most of the televised ISP matches and can't recall Allgood ever threatening the line or putting on a big hit.

Jacob Host is another who I feel lacks impact in attack and defence and should be off loaded. He is living off the past glories of his Australian Schoolboy selection four years ago.

BLM01

First Grade
I could hardly believe what I saw last year- no longer the languid, long drink of water, Lats looked angry, ran hard and was trying to hurt people in tackles- perhaps all that time with Graham on those bus trips is having an effect.

Millward claimed that Allgood was challenging for first grade last year but got injured. Sounds like self serving BS to me. I watched most of the televised ISP matches and can't recall Allgood ever threatening the line or putting on a big hit.

Jacob Host is another who I feel lacks impact in attack and defence and should be off loaded. He is living off the past glories of his Australian Schoolboy selection four years ago.

You know I thought Host with limited opportunities in 2018 before injury (Melbourne away game? actually improved a hell of a lot in his running game and defence compared to limited opportunities also but what I saw in 17. I think he has also been just a bit unlucky with injuries, But moving forward you may be right and be superfluous to our needs but the call down the Gong is they have raps on the kid....so hmmm..will see

Drag Queen

Bench
agree 100% but some people make it harder than others, makes you wonder what team they follow.
I usually don't reply. For whatever reason my ignore mode went off with Old Timer and F*ck Facer. I'm hoping the mods will rectify this. Here's hoping Jak.

Reactions: jak

nontime111

Juniors
I have to agree , I am tired of mediocrity.
The form of Latimore did suprise me . So I am not as concerned in signing him. In regards to Allgood and Kerr, if a player does not put pressure on for first grade why would you resign him.
Lats is all about lifting team morale, hes apparently not only a TOP bloke but a GUN comedian who gets em all laughing and in good spirits for the games.....its fair enough I think hes a lovely bloke also so would be good to play with and have around the team, sports teams are organic entitities no just about the most skilled players, Lats is ok I like him, pay him just to crack jokes! doesnt have to even run on the field for me....

Latest posts