What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Or maybe they did chase Dufty but Dufty wants to stay at the club he loves? Maybe he didn't want to move to a town in North Queensland.
Without the facts you cannot make these kinds of assumptions.
Or maybe they did chase Dufty but Dufty wants to stay at the club he loves? Maybe he didn't want to move to a town in North Queensland.
Without the facts you cannot make these kinds of assumptions.

You realise your post is also based on assumptions? For example, Brett Morris’s love for SGI didn’t stop him from leaving.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Ego sum iterare ...

OK comment, but IMHO Matt is copping the ‘ragdolled’ tag disproportionately - as he learns his trade?
And it seems to be largely weight based?

By all reports he’s 83kg.

Just for comparison:
Les Johns 70
A Mundine 70
Keith Barnes 74
C Churchill 76
G Langlands 78
D Messenger 79
T Lamb 80
Brian Johnston 83
James Maloney 83
B Kenny 84
Jai Field 85
Matt Bowen 85
A Reynolds 85
D Cherry-Evan 85
Darren Lockyer 85
J Thurston 86
J Ado-Carr 86

Just saying

Not all like-for-like positionally ( or ability wise) of course

Having seen most of the above play, I don’t recall their weight-cum-‘‘ragdolling’ being any defining issue in their careers

And I believe very few of the above would’ve run him down.

Give the kid a fair go fellas

I think the rag-dolling effect comes not from his weight, but more from the surrender. He surrenders very meekly which in turn makes him vulnerable to the rag-doll effect. He needs to use his weight and speed to more advantage rather than relaxing himself in the tackle.

Carlton

Juniors
I think the rag-dolling effect comes not from his weight, but more from the surrender. He surrenders very meekly which in turn makes him vulnerable to the rag-doll effect. He needs to use his weight and speed to more advantage rather than relaxing himself in the tackle.

The problem with being ragdolled and with his defence is physicality. He is not being aggressive enough in these areas.

Dragsters

First Grade
Dropping Dufty back to ISP to work on his weaknesses is stupid. He's either good enough or he's not.

Perhaps, but dropping him to ISP if he doesn't make the best 17 and him working on his weakness while he's there is the smart thing to do.

It worked out well for Luc...

LINESPEED

Juniors

Can’t disagree with your comment at all - and I hope Matt is reading this

If Jack is banned or in prison, I'd let Dufty move on for 2020 and make an offer that can't be refused to the off contract Turbo twins to replace Gaz and Jack.

ALSGI

Bench
Drop him, piss him off now.

I hate getting excited when he’s blitzing opposition, making them look slow, amatuerish and sub 1st Grade standard on his way to the try line.

Jumping out of my chair in euphoric anticipation just pisses the missus off and scares the dog.

The little prikc nearly did my back in jumping out of my seat on more than one occassion. I say go for slow, steady as she runs type shit.

f**kc him off now Dufty’s too dangerous.

nontime111

Juniors
I just saw a rerun of the world club challenge game against HULL FC last night and he was on FIRE!

Dufty is one of our most exciting kids along with Lomax, remember hes still a kid, give him a go.....

ps in that game LOMAX CARVED also! an Jai Field looked sharp too Im excited about all of them and hope they all get to cause some danger adn heart attacks this year

Frank Facer

First Grade
I just saw a rerun of the world club challenge game against HULL FC last night and he was on FIRE!

Dufty is one of our most exciting kids along with Lomax, remember hes still a kid, give him a go.....

ps in that game LOMAX CARVED also! an Jai Field looked sharp too Im excited about all of them and hope they all get to cause some danger adn heart attacks this year
Did we play Hull FC this year? If so, am I able to see a re run of the game too?

LINESPEED

Juniors

Hopefully these 3 amigos are especially dangerous for the ‘slow, steady as she runs type shit’ offered by Waterboy & his chosen pair

Brutalitops

Juniors
Dragons re-sign Matt Dufty to 2021
Author
Dragons.com.audragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 18 Feb 2019, 05:55 AM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty has re-signed with the Dragons for a further two seasons.

Dufty – who was already under contract for 2019 – will now remain at the Dragons until at least the end of the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The Penshurst RSL junior's remains excited by the upcoming season, as competition for positions heats up leading into the pre-season trials following Corey Norman's arrival to the Red V.

"I'm very happy about re-signing for another two years. It wasn't a difficult decision. The Dragons is somewhere where I think I could play my best footy and where I wanted to stay," Dufty said.

"I feel like a weight has been lifted. I've had it over my head for a while now and I'm glad the positive discussions I've had with the club has ended this way.

"I'm really excited for this year to come. I'm not sure where I'll play but it's a good headache for Mary (coach Paul McGregor) to have.

"We have all been playing different positions, trying to get our different combinations sorted and with the strike force we have, it's exciting to see how we all play."

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways and List Management Ian Millward was pleased the 23-year-old Dufty decided on recommitting to the club.

"He's a local junior who has gone through our pathway system, and we know he's a person we want here long-term at this club. He's a passionate Dragons player who brings a real skill set to the team," Millward said.

"We have been in deep discussions and negotiating with Matt and his agent since last year. He was aware of our discussions with Corey Norman at all times and he knew where his future lied at our club at all times.

"As for this year, we're really excited by 2019 with the depth and quality of our roster. In regards to what positions everyone plays, that's up to the coach. [The coach] is excited by not only the spine he has in 2019, but also 2020 and 2021."

Dufty's re-signing follows the recent key reacquisition of Tariq Sims until the end of the 2022 season.

ViceVersa

Juniors
Matt Dufty eyes decade as Dragons’ fullback after signing new two-year deal

Matt Dufty wants to be wearing the Dragons’ No.1 jumper not just this year but for the next 10.

And in a sign of his commitment to the club that gave him his start, the 23-year-old local junior has extended his deal at St George Illawarra until the end of 2021.

Dufty received interest from rival clubs after Corey Norman’s arrival but was adamant he never seriously contemplated leaving, even before he found out skipper Gareth Widdop would be returning to England at the end of this year.

“There were a few (rival clubs) interested but I never really pursued it because the Dragons were always honest with me,” Dufty said.

“When the whole Gaz-Normy thing happened, the club was still keen to sign me for another two years. That made me happy.”

Asked if he still had his sights on playing fullback this year, he said: “Definitely. I 100 per cent want to be in the team this year, and hopefully keep that fullback spot.

“I’d like to play here at the Dragons for 10 years if I get the opportunity.”

Dufty sought advice from hooker Cameron McInnes when outside talk started that his future at the club might be in jeopardy.

But McInnes simply told him to back himself through hard work.

“If there is anyone who works the hardest in the team it is definitely Cam,” Dufty said. “He just lives and breathes footy and he is a good mate of mine.

“So when I had some issues I just talked to him and he helped me get through it all.

“A couple of years ago, when I was 20, maybe if this happened I probably would have kicked stones and had a sook.

“But I think playing the last two years, you have to be mentally tough to play in the NRL because rarely everything goes your way.

“I have the full support of the people in the team, so it wasn’t a hard decision to stay at the club.

“I know we have a squad to do something special. I thought it was in my best interests to stay.”

The Dragons will play their first trial against Newcastle on Saturday night at Jubilee and Dufty can’t wait to get on the field. Coach Paul McGregor is still keeping everyone guessing as to who will be playing where, and Dufty said that extended to the players.

Dufty said there was every chance that he, Norman and Widdop could be on the field at the same time.

McInnes has also spent time training at lock over the summer and Ben Hunt at hooker, although most likely Norman will start the season partnering Hunt in the halves, with Widdop at fullback.

While Dufty is smart enough to realise that he will have his work cut out getting first crack, he also knows fortunes in rugby league can turn quickly.

https://outline.com/ajauad

LINESPEED

Juniors
Dragons re-sign Matt Dufty to 2021
Author
Dragons.com.audragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 18 Feb 2019, 05:55 AM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty has re-signed with the Dragons for a further two seasons.

Dufty – who was already under contract for 2019 – will now remain at the Dragons until at least the end of the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The Penshurst RSL junior's remains excited by the upcoming season, as competition for positions heats up leading into the pre-season trials following Corey Norman's arrival to the Red V.

"I'm very happy about re-signing for another two years. It wasn't a difficult decision. The Dragons is somewhere where I think I could play my best footy and where I wanted to stay," Dufty said.

"I feel like a weight has been lifted. I've had it over my head for a while now and I'm glad the positive discussions I've had with the club has ended this way.

"I'm really excited for this year to come. I'm not sure where I'll play but it's a good headache for Mary (coach Paul McGregor) to have.

"We have all been playing different positions, trying to get our different combinations sorted and with the strike force we have, it's exciting to see how we all play."

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways and List Management Ian Millward was pleased the 23-year-old Dufty decided on recommitting to the club.

"He's a local junior who has gone through our pathway system, and we know he's a person we want here long-term at this club. He's a passionate Dragons player who brings a real skill set to the team," Millward said.

"We have been in deep discussions and negotiating with Matt and his agent since last year. He was aware of our discussions with Corey Norman at all times and he knew where his future lied at our club at all times.

"As for this year, we're really excited by 2019 with the depth and quality of our roster. In regards to what positions everyone plays, that's up to the coach. [The coach] is excited by not only the spine he has in 2019, but also 2020 and 2021."

Dufty's re-signing follows the recent key reacquisition of Tariq Sims until the end of the 2022 season.

Great news to see this fellow Penshurst lad secured at last after all that’s been thrown his way.
!My brother & I went to school at Penshurst & played for them many moons ago & it’s a
Club blood loyalty thing with the Dragons that defined the culture there.

Onya Matt - so proud of you.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Fantastic news!
Excellent retention IMO.
Love his attitude here. "A few rival clubs were interested but he wants to be a dragon for 10 years if possible".
That speaks volumes of the way the club has managed Dufty, well done.

Yeah the fans crave that sort of loyalty Crush - it’s the culture that makes a club great.

So the 3 amigos have all had their finger in the pie for fullback - remembering that Millward said 2 yrs ago that they saw Field as long term fullback.
And Lomax saw fullback as his preferred spot as well.

Time for some fair dinkum selections Waterboy

All augurs well for future, despite the club imposed coaching shackles.