What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2019: Dufty shapes as bench weapon after re-signing with Dragons
Local Sport
r0_0_3026_2031_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STAYING PUT: Matt Dufty. Picture: AAP

DRAGONS livewire Matt Dufty is poised to fill a role similar to that of Jason Nightingale during the club’s 2009 campaign after re-signing for a further two years.

The 22-year-old’s future had been subject to much conjecture over the off-season, first amid reports he’d been shopped around in effort to bring Jarryd Hayne to the club.

Sexual assault charges cooled the quest for Hayne’s signature but skipper Gareth Widdop’s decision to quit the club at season’s end again threw Dufty's future up in the air.

It saw the Dragons strike a three-year deal with Corey Norman, whose arrival will likely see Widdop spend his final season in Wollongong at fullback.

Where it leaves Dufty has been a topic of much discussion but the flexibility in coach Paul McGregor’s back-line could well see him play a spark-plug role off the bench.

Cam McInnes is tipped to succeed Widdop as captain in 2020 and is unlikely to make any permanent move away from the No. 9, but could make in-game shifts to lock.

It would allow Ben Hunt to spend time at dummy-half, with Dufty used in shorter bursts against tired defensive lines while also providing injury cover.

Nightingale played a similar role in 2009 before the retirement of Wendell Sailor allowed him to claim the position he would make his own for the best part of a decade a year later.

Dufty indicated he’s willing to play any role required of him in announcing his re-signing on Monday.

“I'm very happy about re-signing for another two years,” Dufty said.

“It wasn't a difficult decision. The Dragons is somewhere where I think I could play my best footy and where I wanted to stay.

The Dragons is somewhere where I think I could play my best footy... I feel like a weight has been lifted.

Matt Dufty
“I feel like a weight has been lifted. I've had it over my head for a while now and I'm glad the positive discussions I've had with the club have ended this way.

“I'm really excited for this year to come. I'm not sure where I'll play but it's a good headache for Mary [McGregor] to have.

“We have all been playing different positions, trying to get our different combinations sorted and with the strike force we have, it's exciting to see how we all play.”

Recruitment chief Ian Millward said it leaves the club well served after Widdop’s departure, with Dufty still shaping as the club’s long-term No. 1.

"He's a local junior who has gone through our pathway system, and we know he's a person we want here long-term at this club,” Millward said on Monday.

"We have been in deep discussions and negotiating with Matt and his agent since last year. He was aware of our discussions with Corey Norman at all times and he knew where his future lied at our club at all times.

“In regards to what positions everyone plays, that's up to the coach. [The coach] is excited by not only the spine he has in 2019, but also 2020 and 2021."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-weapon-after-re-signing-with-dragons/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Matt Dufty extends stay at St George Illawarra with contract extension
Local Sport
Still in red and white: Matt Dufty has re-signed with the Dragons for a further two years. Picture: NRL Photos.
St George Illawarra flyer Matt Dufty will remain at the club for a further two years after the Dragons extended his contract until the end of the 2021 NRL season.

The extension comes as questions loom over Dufty’s place within the team after the Dragons signed former Parramatta playmaker Corey Norman in December.

Despite the uncertainty surrounding Dufty’s playing position in 2019, the 23-year-old said he was excited to extend his stay at his junior club.

“I'm very happy about re-signing for another two years,” Dufty said. “It wasn't a difficult decision. The Dragons is somewhere where I think I could play my best footy and where I wanted to stay.

“I feel like a weight has been lifted. I've had it over my head for a while now and I'm glad the positive discussions I've had with the club has ended this way.

“I'm really excited for this year to come. I'm not sure where I'll play but it's a good headache for Mary [coach Paul McGregor] to have.

Read more: NRL won’t bow to pressure to stand down Jack de Belin

“We have all been playing different positions, trying to get our different combinations sorted and with the strike force we have, it's exciting to see how we all play.”

The signing comes on the eve of St George Illawarra’s first trial, to be played against Newcastle in Kogarah on Saturday night.

Dragons recruitment manager Ian Millward praised Dufty for his commitment to the club and said he’s looking forward to Dufty improving on a promising 2018 in the upcoming season.

“He's a local junior who has gone through our pathway system, and we know he's a person we want here long-term at this club,” Millward said. “He's a passionate Dragons player who brings a real skill set to the team.

“We have been in deep discussions and negotiating with Matt and his agent since last year. He was aware of our discussions with Corey Norman at all times and he knew where his future lied at our club at all times.

“As for this year, we're really excited by 2019 with the depth and quality of our roster. In regards to what positions everyone plays, that's up to the coach. [The coach] is excited by not only the spine he has in 2019, but also 2020 and 2021.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ra-dragons-re-sign-talented-youngster/?cs=302

Drag Queen

Bench
Thanks drag I see Aitkin and he's not a dynamic defensive centre darling we all see things differently .........and assuming Mary leaves dufty at the back there's a lot of pieces. Rather play Norman somewhere than on the bench there's a lot of assumptions ......
Please don't call me darling luv.
Matt Dufty extends stay at St George Illawarra with contract extension
Local Sport
Still in red and white: Matt Dufty has re-signed with the Dragons for a further two years. Picture: NRL Photos.
St George Illawarra flyer Matt Dufty will remain at the club for a further two years after the Dragons extended his contract until the end of the 2021 NRL season.

The extension comes as questions loom over Dufty’s place within the team after the Dragons signed former Parramatta playmaker Corey Norman in December.

Despite the uncertainty surrounding Dufty’s playing position in 2019, the 23-year-old said he was excited to extend his stay at his junior club.

“I'm very happy about re-signing for another two years,” Dufty said. “It wasn't a difficult decision. The Dragons is somewhere where I think I could play my best footy and where I wanted to stay.

“I feel like a weight has been lifted. I've had it over my head for a while now and I'm glad the positive discussions I've had with the club has ended this way.

“I'm really excited for this year to come. I'm not sure where I'll play but it's a good headache for Mary [coach Paul McGregor] to have.

Read more: NRL won’t bow to pressure to stand down Jack de Belin

The signing comes on the eve of St George Illawarra’s first trial, to be played against Newcastle in Kogarah on Saturday night.

Dragons recruitment manager Ian Millward praised Dufty for his commitment to the club and said he’s looking forward to Dufty improving on a promising 2018 in the upcoming season.

“He's a local junior who has gone through our pathway system, and we know he's a person we want here long-term at this club,” Millward said. “He's a passionate Dragons player who brings a real skill set to the team.

“We have been in deep discussions and negotiating with Matt and his agent since last year. He was aware of our discussions with Corey Norman at all times and he knew where his future lied at our club at all times.

“As for this year, we're really excited by 2019 with the depth and quality of our roster. In regards to what positions everyone plays, that's up to the coach. [The coach] is excited by not only the spine he has in 2019, but also 2020 and 2021.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ra-dragons-re-sign-talented-youngster/?cs=302

possm

Coach
Please don't call me darling luv.

Great news, now Dufty has two years to beef up and get his game right. I doubt very much that he will be coming off the bench in 2019; Robson will be our 14 and the other 3 spots will mostly likely be taken by two props and an edge forward.

While developing himself into a more solid player, Dufty will be on call to cover for Widdop who might just have some shoulder problems in 2019.

Drag Queen

Bench
Any idea how much we are paying him? He stated in another interview that 'a few clubs' were chasing him. Curious to know which clubs tbh. I'm sure someone on here can clarify...
Great news, now Dufty has two years to beef up and get his game right. I doubt very much that he will be coming off the bench in 2019; Robson will be our 14 and the other 3 spots will mostly likely be taken by two props and an edge forward.

While developing himself into a more solid player, Dufty will be on call to cover for Widdop who might just have some shoulder problems in 2019.
?? Right.

Gareth67

First Grade
As I have suggested for some time , I believe that he shall be off the bench - you simply cannot waste his speed , it is undoubtedly the Dragons big X factor that will cut tiring defenses to pieces in the latter part of each halve .

Frank Facer

First Grade
Dufty either starts at fullback in first grade or starts at fullback in ISP. I don't see any point carrying Dufty on the bench. He would also be better off playing full games in ISP and developing his game there than spending the majority of the game sitting on the bench. I would like to see him get first crack at the fullback spot this year, but I think Widdop will.

TruSaint

Referee
Dufty may have a bright future, but I will be interested to see where he fits in the 17 for this season.
He has secured his immediate future, which is good for the lad. I am not sold on him as yet but will be interested to see how 2019 pans out.

Gareth67

First Grade
[QUOTE="Walpole, post: 13384072, member: 44020] Just what is that crafty old fox Mary up to? For all we know he's told Widdop, Norman, Dufty and some bloke from the Dapto Canaries reserves they'll all be fullback this year.[/QUOTE]

“ Crafty old fox “ - I like it . Let’s hope that he doesn’t confuse Widdop with Norman or Duffy with the ball boy in the pressure cooker atmosphere of the game - lord help us all if he does .

GC Dragon

Juniors
As I have suggested for some time , I believe that he shall be off the bench - you simply cannot waste his speed , it is undoubtedly the Dragons big X factor that will cut tiring defenses to pieces in the latter part of each halve .
I think your right re Dufty off the bench . That would support what I have been told about training with Norman as the main play maker and kicker and Widdop at fullback . Hunt is training at Half and Hooker ( maybe Samy can confirm ?) .

TruSaint

Referee
I think your right re Dufty off the bench . That would support what I have been told about training with Norman as the main play maker and kicker and Widdop at fullback . Hunt is training at Half and Hooker ( maybe Samy can confirm ?) .

What bench role would he undertake ?
He is a fullback.
Haven't seen any evidence that he can play any other role .

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Maybe i'm wrong but wasn't Dufty a half or 5/8 in his junior years before they switched him to fullback in rep teams?

In any case i believe this is what i'd call a "future" signing ie: 2019 will be used to build upon his 2018 either via ISP or even from the bench, give him some time to develop both physically and mentally, with a view to slotting back into the fullback roll permanently in 2020.
The onky questionable part of this re-signing is the $$$, which we know nothing about and best not to speculate.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Maybe i'm wrong but wasn't Dufty a half or 5/8 in his junior years before they switched him to fullback in rep teams?

In any case i believe this is what i'd call a "future" signing ie: 2019 will be used to build upon his 2018 either via ISP or even from the bench, give him some time to develop both physically and mentally, with a view to slotting back into the fullback roll permanently in 2020.
The onky questionable part of this re-signing is the $$$, which we know nothing about and best not to speculate.
Dufty did play in the halves as a junior. I think it was 5/8.

Latest posts