What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

hindy111

Post Whore
Corey Norman is a peanut. His off field behaviour is one of a young man not a guy nearing 30.
Good riddance. Best thing for you guys is have some quality players and will have lots of cap space. Ben Hunts 1.2 deal has next year and 2023 as a PO. Lets hope its a reduced amount.
Great player but not worth those figures.

I'd be more interested in worrying about 2023. That is why I think letting guys like Frizel go was a smart decision. You're not winning the comp this year or next so clear the deck and build wisely. Sign a few older experienced guys on cheap contracts to teach the younger blokes. It also give you time to cherry pick who target to sign. Can have best of both worlds. Go after the best juniors from all over the NRL.

Dufty is a good player.But if the coach doesn't see him as part of his 2023 plans then no need keeping him.

I also do not get the Ramsey love. He isn't fast, strong or overly skillfull. Not the type of winger I would want in my squad.

Como Connection

First Grade
Corey Norman is a peanut. His off field behaviour is one of a young man not a guy nearing 30.
Good riddance. Best thing for you guys is have some quality players and will have lots of cap space. Ben Hunts 1.2 deal has next year and 2023 as a PO. Lets hope its a reduced amount.
Great player but not worth those figures.

I'd be more interested in worrying about 2023. That is why I think letting guys like Frizel go was a smart decision. You're not winning the comp this year or next so clear the deck and build wisely. Sign a few older experienced guys on cheap contracts to teach the younger blokes. It also give you time to cherry pick who target to sign. Can have best of both worlds. Go after the best juniors from all over the NRL.

Dufty is a good player.But if the coach doesn't see him as part of his 2023 plans then no need keeping him.

I also do not get the Ramsey love. He isn't fast, strong or overly skillfull. Not the type of winger I would want in my squad.
Try $950, that has been the salary each season.
CC

getsmarty

Immortal
DUFTY’S FUTURE IN STRIFE

Off-contract Dragon Matt Dufty may have put his future at risk with a disappointing defensive performance for the Red V on Monday.

The Dragons were beaten comprehensively by a Bulldogs side that sat at the bottom of the ladder with just one win all season heading into the game.

Dufty’s future has dominated headlines for the last few weeks after being told he wouldn’t be re-signed next season.

Many were scratching their heads wondering what on earth the Dragons were doing after the fullback had an absolute blinder against the Broncos a fortnight ago with two tries and five try assists.

However his performance against the Bulldogs has made the Dragons’ call a lot easier to understand.

Dufty missed three crucial tackles that led to tries in his side’s loss and as a result he could be dropped for Saturday’s game, ironically against the club that has shown genuine interest in him, the Canberra Raiders.

“There’s a bit of mail going around that Matt Dufty won’t play (this weekend) if Zac Lomax comes back,” Brent Read told Triple M’s Rush Hour with MG.

“So Matt Dufty, after the way he played last week, a disappointing performance and Canberra watched that. They’re still mulling over whether they make a play for him.

“It would have been handy for him to play this weekend, play really well and impress Canberra — that probably would have got it over the line. But if he doesn’t play, I’m not sure where that leaves (him).

“I still think Canberra will have a good, hard look at him and potentially make an offer to Matt Dufty but that performance last week hasn’t helped him.”

“Such a sliding doors moment for him. Last week we were saying ‘c’mon Dragons, you’re mad.’ Well they saw something we didn’t see obviously,” Mark Geyer added.

“That goal line defence, that one moment could cost him an NRL career.”

Illusion

Bench
DUFTY’S FUTURE IN STRIFE

Off-contract Dragon Matt Dufty may have put his future at risk with a disappointing defensive performance for the Red V on Monday.

The Dragons were beaten comprehensively by a Bulldogs side that sat at the bottom of the ladder with just one win all season heading into the game.

Dufty’s future has dominated headlines for the last few weeks after being told he wouldn’t be re-signed next season.

Many were scratching their heads wondering what on earth the Dragons were doing after the fullback had an absolute blinder against the Broncos a fortnight ago with two tries and five try assists.

However his performance against the Bulldogs has made the Dragons’ call a lot easier to understand.

Dufty missed three crucial tackles that led to tries in his side’s loss and as a result he could be dropped for Saturday’s game, ironically against the club that has shown genuine interest in him, the Canberra Raiders.

“There’s a bit of mail going around that Matt Dufty won’t play (this weekend) if Zac Lomax comes back,” Brent Read told Triple M’s Rush Hour with MG.

“So Matt Dufty, after the way he played last week, a disappointing performance and Canberra watched that. They’re still mulling over whether they make a play for him.

“It would have been handy for him to play this weekend, play really well and impress Canberra — that probably would have got it over the line. But if he doesn’t play, I’m not sure where that leaves (him).

“I still think Canberra will have a good, hard look at him and potentially make an offer to Matt Dufty but that performance last week hasn’t helped him.”

“Such a sliding doors moment for him. Last week we were saying ‘c’mon Dragons, you’re mad.’ Well they saw something we didn’t see obviously,” Mark Geyer added.

“That goal line defence, that one moment could cost him an NRL career.”

Yes its his lack of urgency in defence...no good just standing there doing nothing.... make a attempt with aggression even if the tackle is missed ...... ashame because in a good team that does not struggle in defence he is a gun attacker .....

getsmarty

Immortal
Yes its his lack of urgency in defence...no good just standing there doing nothing.... make a attempt with aggression even if the tackle is missed ...... ashame because in a good team that does not struggle in defence he is a gun attacker .....

Yep...agree...hopefully he can go out on a high.

thebigredv

First Grade
Think about it people. All this Dufty defensive criticism is fine so long as we are going to be equally critical of a whole raft of other backs who don't offer points in attack. They too should be on notice/in the firing line.

If we just rely in youth to replace Matt, we will be held to 1 try many times again next season.

Illusion

Bench
Think about it people. All this Dufty defensive criticism is fine so long as we are going to be equally critical of a whole raft of other backs who don't offer points in attack. They too should be on notice/in the firing line.

If we just rely in youth to replace Matt, we will be held to 1 try many times again next season.
Yes agree what about the forwards that miss tackles as well , and do nothing in attack ..... it comes down to the whole team struggles in defence then Duff gets singled out because his effort defending isn't great .... like I said before but him in a strong team that is going forward and let him worry about attacking ......

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Yes agree what about the forwards that miss tackles as well , and do nothing in attack ..... it comes down to the whole team struggles in defence then Duff gets singled out because his effort defending isn't great .... like I said before but him in a strong team that is going forward and let him worry about attcking ......
The forwards to will be overhauled
They will escape nothing

Dragon David

First Grade
James Tedesco is a bit out of form lately in my opinion. Hasn't really done much in attack and defence. Just couldn't stop Cleary one on one for Cleary to score tonight. Teddy carrying an injury methinks.

getsmarty

Immortal

St Helens linked with St George Illawarra Dragons full back Matt Dufty​

By Mike Critchley mike_critchley Senior Sports Writer

Matt Dufty. Pic: Andrew Cornaga / www.Photosport.nz/SWpix.com

Matt Dufty. Pic: Andrew Cornaga / www.Photosport.nz/SWpix.com

0 comment

THE Australian media are reporting that Saints are leading a pack of Super League clubs expressing an interest in bringing in St George-Illawarra Dragons fullback Matt Dufty.
Saints are currently giving off-contract Lachlan Coote as long as possible to decide whether to stay on or return to Australia with his young family.
But the Sydney Morning Herald report that Dufty, who is was not wanted by his club next year, is on Saints’ radar.
St Helens Star:

They write: “With suitors in the NRL thinning, St Helens have made an aggressive pitch to lure Dufty to the north of England, where his attacking game would be perfectly suited to the free-wheeling English style.”
Saints have a number of contract negotiations ongoing, with James Bentley’s move to Leeds Rhinos confirmed this morning.
Apart from Coote, Saints also have Kevin Naiqama, Theo Fages, James Roby, Kyle Amor, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook and Joe Batchelor off contract at the end of this term.

Latest posts