What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

getsmarty

Immortal
Had a bad game last night, particularly in defence. But still did the odd good thing, e.g. that tackle on Moses. He was caught woefully out of position a number of times, particularly on the kicks. Good player, first season but still has a lot to learn.

Also tackled Brown front on...give him decent coaching and he will get better.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Firstly, Dugan is gone no point looking back to the past and what might have happened. He was offered a contract and decided against it. End of story.

As far as Dufty is concerned there are 2 points that need "coaching".
1. Bombs: arent easy to take at the best of times, Slater for example has dropped plenty in his time at fullback. The issue with Dufty, IMO, is he is more concerned about getting smashed after taking it. Hence he lets it bounce to take that situation out. If I were coach, I would send him to a week or 2 with the Sydney Swans just to get an idea of how to take bombs, attacking the ball and how to protect yourself.
2. Sweep plays: always are McInnes to Hunt/Widdop then the Dufty. This worked for a while but easily coached against. Like to see him through the middle more but seems hesitant to join in through the tougher stuff.

He is 20 or so games into his career under McGregor, no development, no variation in him play. A decent coach woyld have been drooling at the prospect of taking him to an elite level.

getsmarty

Immortal
Firstly, Dugan is gone no point looking back to the past and what might have happened. He was offered a contract and decided against it. End of story.

As far as Dufty is concerned there are 2 points that need "coaching".
1. Bombs: arent easy to take at the best of times, Slater for example has dropped plenty in his time at fullback. The issue with Dufty, IMO, is he is more concerned about getting smashed after taking it. Hence he lets it bounce to take that situation out. If I were coach, I would send him to a week or 2 with the Sydney Swans just to get an idea of how to take bombs, attacking the ball and how to protect yourself.
2. Sweep plays: always are McInnes to Hunt/Widdop then the Dufty. This worked for a while but easily coached against. Like to see him through the middle more but seems hesitant to join in through the tougher stuff.

He is 20 or so games into his career under McGregor, no development, no variation in him play. A decent coach woyld have been drooling at the prospect of taking him to an elite level.

Well said...

st.phil

Bench
Dufty has put in several substandard games, and his deficiencies are there for all to see.

Even on one leg, Dugan is better.
Dugan is awful, embarrassing for the sharks and a shit human, move on . Yeah dufty had a shocker but clearly his and the whole teams head space and Confidence is in the toilet.

possm

Coach
Try him at 6 while Widdop is recovering and tell him to run direct.
Give Lomax a run at fullback; he won't disappoint.
Mann to left centre and Herbert to right centre.
I think De Belin is playing injured; give him a rest
Frizell was great at prop; leave him there.
Leilua is improving every game should have been there earlier in the season.
Our front row is the problem; we need Vaughan back and McInnes to step up.
Maybe Robson on the bench will give us more options.

getsmarty

Immortal
Try him at 6 while Widdop is recovering and tell him to run direct.
Give Lomax a run at fullback; he won't disappoint.
Mann to left centre and Herbert to right centre.
I think De Belin is playing injured; give him a rest
Frizell was great at prop; leave him there.
Leilua is improving every game should have been there earlier in the season.
Our front row is the problem; we need Vaughan back and McInnes to step up.
Maybe Robson on the bench will give us more options.

with all due respect that's like shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic....They need to go back to basics....

I.M.H.O the McGregor effect has now taken place...( for this year )...can't see a way out...making up the numbers if we make the 8.

Last edited:

rednwhites

Juniors
I would be thinking the next coach will be punting a few (Lafai, Latimore, Mann, Pereira) and bringing some expertise to get the most out of others (Dufty, Aitken, McInness, Leilua) but I will leave that to them. Until a new coach is brought in it is futile to talk recruitment and retention. I see no point whatsoever.

The result last night had very little to do with player skill.

possm

Coach
The “too nice”part can apply to most of the first grade team.
Sims and Graham the only two with enough mongrel needed....
This is half our problem when the going gets tough and other teams lift the intensity and aggression, we don’t have anything to respond with...
De Belin, Frizell and Vaughan are SOO players who played a significant part in winning the series this year. We know Vaughan is out injured and I'm sure De Belin should be out injured. Frizell was injured leading into the series and McInnes has not played well since missing selection for SOO.

I'd say it is a combination of a number of things; mental fatigue, physical fatigue and Mary's inability to switch to a plan B when it is clear his plan A is failing.

Surely management have had enough and it's finally time for Mary to go.

Sign Bennett for 2019 on a 2-3 year deal. The first thing he would do is put Widdop at fullback and Dufty at 6. By off-seasons end, Dufty will be kicking, defending and controlling the right side like Soward used to do.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Drop him. And half the f**king team

Only half?

Let’s see, on last night’s performance:

Dufty....dropped
Pereira...dropped
Aitken....dropped
Lafai....defensively I thought he was ok
MacDonald...dropped
Widdop...injured (but should’ve been dropped anyway) probably for the year
Hunt...dropped
Debellin..dropped
Sims..was he playing?
Leilua...dropped
Frizell...stays
McIness...stays
Graham...stays

Au Mau...did he play?
Latimore...dropped
Mann...shouldn’t be on the bench
Lawrie...did he get on the field?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I would be thinking the next coach will be punting a few (Lafai, Latimore, Mann, Pereira) and bringing some expertise to get the most out of others (Dufty, Aitken, McInness, Leilua) but I will leave that to them. Until a new coach is brought in it is futile to talk recruitment and retention. I see no point whatsoever.

The result last night had very little to do with player skill.

The bloke in charge of recruitment and retention needs to be booted too.

JDHD

Juniors
He’s in his first year of grade and he’s still learning how to be a first grade fullback. He could probably benefit from a stint in reggies but the problem is him, Leilua and Pereira have been the only players that have looked dangerous with the ball for almost a month. Do you take away one of the few attacking weapons we have? Or do you push him to 5/8 with Widdop’s injury and move someone like Field or Lomax to FB?

getsmarty

Immortal
He’s in his first year of grade and he’s still learning how to be a first grade fullback. He could probably benefit from a stint in reggies but the problem is him, Leilua and Pereira have been the only players that have looked dangerous with the ball for almost a month. Do you take away one of the few attacking weapons we have? Or do you push him to 5/8 with Widdop’s injury and move someone like Field or Lomax to FB?

Don't confuse people with logical points LOL

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Mann needs to be five-eighth.

Gippsy

Bench
Yep, Dufty had a shocker. He, and others, looked like they hadn't slept for a week, were hungover or had the flu or something.

What the hell happened on this camp??