What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Wizardman

First Grade
How do you rate his development over the year? I think he is the worst defensive fullback in the nrl by a country mile.

Red V for life

Juniors
The kid has talent and has saved our bacon on a few occasions this year...BUT a few of my pet peeves are his lack of urgency at the back in defence AND most of all, how he just dances back into the line on a kick return. I was screaming at the TV last night to pick a line and RUN hard. Running soft just helps the defence dominate and rag doll him.

Personally, I think he is due a stint is reserves. He’ll be back, but the first full season of NRL can be quite draining and I think his introduction to grade has not been managed well. He should’ve always been due for a rest or to go down to ISP. Look what happened with Latrell Mitchel for example.

j0nesy

Bench
Had a bad game last night, particularly in defence. But still did the odd good thing, e.g. that tackle on Moses. He was caught woefully out of position a number of times, particularly on the kicks. Good player, first season but still has a lot to learn.

ouryears

Bench
He causes chaos when bombs go up by not knowing what to do, catch or let it bounce
The concerning thing is he is not getting better or learning from it.
He is as unconfident under the high ball as he was 5 months ago.
Any FB who can’t catch a bomb CANNOT be a first grade FB.
Just catch the damn ball Dufty or you need to be sacked young man.

What the hell do they do at training and post match discussions.....nothing??!!

The kid has talent and has saved our bacon on a few occasions this year...BUT a few of my pet peeves are his lack of urgency at the back in defence AND most of all, how he just dances back into the line on a kick return. I was screaming at the TV last night to pick a line and RUN hard. Running soft just helps the defence dominate and rag doll him.

Personally, I think he is due a stint is reserves. He’ll be back, but the first full season of NRL can be quite draining and I think his introduction to grade has not been managed well. He should’ve always been due for a rest or to go down to ISP. Look what happened with Latrell Mitchel for example.
I agree Dufty is talented, but has a lot to learn. Has issues under the high ball. His defence is variable. Pulls off some good tackles but misses a good few. Of course he has plenty of speed but a lot of his running when on hard defence is weak. Seems to be unsure where he should be positionally when defending and lacks communication with his wings. Sure he is only learning at premium level but at the important end of the season he is a bit too shaky to install confidence in those around him.

ouryears

Bench
Cut the kid some slack. How many players have shown any development under MacGregor?
Mate the basic skill for a first grade FB is surely to catch a high ball.
He should have been doing it from age 7.
I am happy too cut him slack for tackling lapses or general defensive decisions.
But catching a high ball, if you can’t do that in first grade, you need to be playing ISP to fix it.

First grade isn’t a rehearsal.

I support matty, but he has to do the job.

BLM01

First Grade
Had a bad game last night, particularly in defence. But still did the odd good thing, e.g. that tackle on Moses. He was caught woefully out of position a number of times, particularly on the kicks. Good player, first season but still has a lot to learn.
It is up to coaching now funnily enough. The kid has 1st grade talent and can be a star, just needs good positive coaching and assistance to work on those defiencies that all young stars have..even Latrell Mitchell, Tedesco etc all had chequered starts in 1st grade. We need him and he CAN be our future. Over to you COACH

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
The concerning thing is he is not getting better or learning from it.
He is as unconfident under the high ball as he was 5 months ago.
Any FB who can’t catch a bomb CANNOT be a first grade FB.
Just catch the damn ball Dufty or you need to be sacked young man.

What the hell do they do at training and post match discussions.....nothing??!!
I have to agree...the camera shot last night from behind when the bomb bounced he was well to the right of screen but made bugger all effort to get across with any urgency....not trying to say he would have caught it but imo he didnt seem to want to get there....hes a great kid and we need his speed but he needs some confidence under the high ball.....another coach wont be able to do anything about his size but certainly his mental approach

j0nesy

Bench
I have to agree...the camera shot last night from behind when the bomb bounced he was well to the right of screen but made bugger all effort to get across with any urgency....not trying to say he would have caught it but imo he didnt seem to want to get there....hes a great kid and we need his speed but he needs some confidence under the high ball.....another coach wont be able to do anything about his size but certainly his mental approach

Yeah he’s not really taking control at the back, especially last night. There was one where Hunt or McInness got in his way but he was very tentative in getting there. And there was a high ball that Pererra probably should have got but Duffy could have and there was no call.

gitano

Juniors
Yep.
He is not the first to go backwards after getting a shot at first grade....
Never mind the real story.

He dominated 20s because his lack of size was offset by space in defensive lines.

There is less space at NRL level.

He is fearful to make a mistake rather than trust his ability - Blame the Coach for this !!

McGregor has the team playing fearful to attack the ball, throw the offload etc etc

SFTG

saintzrule

Juniors
Yeah he’s not really taking control at the back, especially last night. There was one where Hunt or McInness got in his way but he was very tentative in getting there. And there was a high ball that Pererra probably should have got but Duffy could have and there was no call.
Perrera was baulked by Mann. Mann is
useless near a high ball.

Latest posts