What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Like so many league players, Dufty started his career in the juniors and eventually found himself playing in first grade for the Dragons in 2017 when he was about 21. We all know that his attacking skills are great. However, his defensive skills including taking bombs and kicks in general play in any game can be heart attack material. These are fundamental things a fullback should be adept at and somehow Dufty just hasn't been able to consistently do these things when he has had years to practise.

I like him mainly for his attack but if he doesn't fix his catching and defence in the next month or so, Hook might hook him and put Ramsey in that position.

If Rava can improve, why can't Dufty?

Fair enough DD but l’m starting to think Duftys catching issues maybe in his DNA.
I’m still prepared to play him providing he can score more points than he lets in.

He is one of the few players that can repay the team by some scoring brilliance.
For that reason alone, l would keep playing him until that was to change.
Like life itself, it’s all a numbers game.

possm

Coach
Fair enough DD but l’m starting to think Duftys catching issues maybe in his DNA.
I’m still prepared to play him providing he can score more points than he lets in.

He is one of the few players that can repay the team by some scoring brilliance.
For that reason alone, l would keep playing him until that was to change.
Like life itself, it’s all a numbers game.
In my opinion Dufty should be on the bench in place of Williame. He should be brought on the field when Griffin feels the opposition forwards are tiring. A 10 to 15 min stint where the whole Dragon's team knows Dufty is to be the focus of their attack and they should get the ball to him in space as much as possible.

Dufty should come on as in place of Norman and switch places with Bird when defending. Sims should stand a little wider in defence when Dufty is defending on the field and cut off the ball as many times as possible.

Promote Ramsey to fullback so that by the end of this season, he will be of first grade standard. Dufty could do run-around moves with Bird stepping through the line to score or setting up his winger.

I think this is worth a go because what we are doing today, has not worded over the last two to three seasons. Maybe, just maybe, Griffin will find that Dufty is a good replacement for Norman in 2021.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
As many have pointed out, Dufty started as a 5/8 and wasnt given the fullback role until JF (correct me if im wrong). A 5/8 rarely takes bombs, so ye's had very little exposure until late in his junior career. Same goes with defensive positioning and kick returns.

Then he was brought into fullback under McGregor, who we ALL know did very little in 'coaching' young players.

Im not defendung Dufty here, as I think some of his short-comings are his own doing.

Is he our long term fullback? I dont think so. Is Ramsey? The jury is out on that atm. Is there a better fullback option? Several better judges than me think so.

Imo, Dufty showed 'some' improvement in the 1st game, hopefully that will continue.

Old Timer

Coach
As many have pointed out, Dufty started as a 5/8 and wasnt given the fullback role until JF (correct me if im wrong). A 5/8 rarely takes bombs, so ye's had very little exposure until late in his junior career. Same goes with defensive positioning and kick returns.

Then he was brought into fullback under McGregor, who we ALL know did very little in 'coaching' young players.

Im not defendung Dufty here, as I think some of his short-comings are his own doing.

Is he our long term fullback? I dont think so. Is Ramsey? The jury is out on that atm. Is there a better fullback option? Several better judges than me think so.

Imo, Dufty showed 'some' improvement in the 1st game, hopefully that will continue.
The simple logic is if Dufty sees himself as a 1st grade FB, is trying to get a contract extension at FB, considers it a spine position so is worth more $$$$ and at 25 years of age is coming into his prime with more than 60 games in the top grade in that position then he can face the reality of what some contend are his shortcomings and do that in a mature manner.

Interestingly he might actually be able to do that much better than a whole lot of people in this forum.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The simple logic is if Dufty sees himself as a 1st grade FB, is trying to get a contract extension at FB, considers it a spine position so is worth more $$$$ and at 25 years of age is coming into his prime with more than 60 games in the top grade in that position then he can face the reality of what some contend are his shortcomings and do that in a mature manner.

Interestingly he might actually be able to do that much better than a whole lot of people in this forum.
For once, I agree with you OT.

Dufty is in a much better position to secure a 1st grade fullback contract than a whole lot of people on here.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Sorry, but his kick returns are glaringly stupid. Does he think he weighs 120kg and doesn't need footwork or speed? Like a yappy tiny dog that thinks it is scary. Driving me nuts watching him get driven backwards 3 or 4 times a game.
Clearly you didn’t watch the game.

He got driven backwards once tonight.

About 2 mins after the exact same thing happened to Lomax (who got driven back further).

Yep..

3 players in a row tackled in goal..

But apparently only Dufty gets called out.

Shows a clear agenda from some..

I miss the days when supporters supported a team rather than death riding the players..
The difference is that is very rare for Rav, who is generally amazing at hitups and it is Duffy's signature move.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
For me it's the positional play and intent with Dufty.

He is constantly caught out of position and his attempts to scramble back are pathetic. The Holmes try for example, completely in no mans land and jogs like a princess while Holmes strolls over. f**k, even Hunt got to Holmes before Duff and he had more ground to cover.

He also needs to run the ball back with more fire. I get that he's small, but that's exactly why he needs to hit it back hard. Paps is a very similar build and doesn't seem to have an issue with this.
If he's afraid of getting hurt, he needs to find a new profession.

Latest posts