What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

_Johnsy

Referee
Well what I read over the last 77 pages of this Matt Duffy thread is that most people will be happy if we don’t have him!
is this all starting to be a changing of the guard now?
What’s happened to turn this all around?

Personally, I believe it is his obvious unwillingness to put his body on the line.

Look at the tackle Reece Walsh tackle in the corner in cover defence. He only had one concern, stopping the player scoring a try, put his body in a position where he was only ever going to get smased & he did exactly that. Put his body on the line & got smashed, Dufty does not do this.

Illusion

Bench
We missed Dufty hard tonight. Sign this kid up and make him our permanent fullback for the next 2-3 years. Ramsay is a different player and doesn’t have that explosive X factor like Dufty..
Right on some on here don't see that and are hard to please ...... Dufty is all our attack ..... Ramsey is good and will handle the fullback position ok he is gutsy but doesn't have that x factor as you say ..... Not a myth its a fact ....

_Johnsy

Referee
Right on some on here don't see that and are hard to please ...... Dufty is all our attack ..... Ramsey is good and will handle the fullback position ok he is gutsy but doesn't have that x factor as you say ..... Not a myth its a fact ....
I don't think anyone is doubting or demeaning his attacking brilliance, like me many are pointing out his obvious flaws. It is a fine balancing act for selecting a FB. Do you go:
1) Out & Out attacking gun (Eg. Pap, Dufty)
2) Brilliant attacking skills & above average defence (Eg. Teddy, RTS, Turbo)
3) Ok attacking skills, but saves tries with very solid defence. (eg. CNK)
3) Solid 1st grade standard attacker & defender (eg. DWZ, Edwards)

Tough choice to make IMO.

Illusion

Bench
I don't think anyone is doubting or demeaning his attacking brilliance, like me many are pointing out his obvious flaws. It is a fine balancing act for selecting a FB. Do you go:
1) Out & Out attacking gun (Eg. Pap, Dufty)
2) Brilliant attacking skills & above average defence (Eg. Teddy, RTS, Turbo)
3) Ok attacking skills, but saves tries with very solid defence. (eg. CNK)
3) Solid 1st grade standard attacker & defender (eg. DWZ, Edwards)

Tough choice to make IMO.
I agree but the way the game is changing , players like Dufty will start to dominate in attack .... as most of the defending is done on the line .... All I'm saying is we have him now don't let him go he wants to stay .....

mickeylane

Bench
Everyone please take a deep breath and start looking at the facts when comparing Ramsay and Dufty....

Ramsay has the traits of a modern day fullback to succeed within the next year or 2 and become a top 8 fullback in the NRL if given the opportunity to grow his body and settle into his position.....

Comparisons
Ramsay
is fearless and safe in the air and Dufty is not
Ramsay
is safer under the high ball
Ramsay is tidier in the back when kicks come through -where Dufty has cost us 4 tries this year
Ramsay has a committed kick return Dufty does not
Ramsay
has explosive speed off the mark Dufty has as well
Ramsay
has a fantastic right food step which is extremely effective when attacking the line - Where Dufty is evasive and never challenges the line with his step
Ramsay is a better and more committed support player in the busy ruck where Dufty goes minutes avoiding the ruck sometimes for a whole half he fails to support the big men!!
Dufty is currently not even ranked in the top 12 fullbacks in the NRL when rated by News experts only 2 Sundays ago

So the plusses in my opinion weigh in favour of Ramsay as a long term FB...yes Dufty at the moment is responsible for say up to 60% of our scoring points but he also is not involved enough in a game to truely say that he is indispensable - he goes missing in big games and makes massive errors that are not forgiven by the big teams that lead to bleeding points...think recent Roosters game ..

The problem we all have though is that we all get excited when Dufty does his magical long passes and also support play to finish off a move on the odd occasion...the problem we all have and please correct me is that we have our hearts in our mouths every time
a bomb goes up,
a kick in the in goal area comes through or
when returning kicks knowing he will be smashed and sent back 5metres in the tackle
even his defence on the line is totally non existent

So the conundrum of Ramsay v Dufty is a non argument IMO and people that think Dufty is a solution at 5/8 I think are off in their thinking as a 5/8 is usually an effective kicker and decent defender - Dufty is neither so that potential move I think is off...

I do feel though no 14 could be a spot for him much in the old days like a Phil Blake, Benji now, Ewen Mcgrady (early in his career) where these types of players would come on and make a difference to a game...Dufty could float anywhere in the backline during his stints without being exposed too much...and allowing him to attack fatiguing defences during last 15 minutes of halves

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
id add in Will Kennedy

not signed as yet by Sharks

His kick returns and defence is more finals like footy

plus his try assists and tries are strong ........top 5?

2021 season

Dufty
Tries 8
Try assists 5
Tackle breaks 33
Linke Breaks 6

Kennedy
Tries 8
Try assists 6
Tackle breaks 29
Linke Breaks 6

Spazer

Juniors
Comparisons
Ramsay
is fearless and safe in the air and Dufty is not
Ramsay
is safer under the high ball
Ramsay is tidier in the back when kicks come through -where Dufty has cost us 4 tries this year
Ramsay has a committed kick return Dufty does not
Ramsay
has explosive speed off the mark Dufty has as well
Ramsay
has a fantastic right food step which is extremely effective when attacking the line - Where Dufty is evasive and never challenges the line with his step
Ramsay is a better and more committed support player in the busy ruck where Dufty goes minutes avoiding the ruck sometimes for a whole half he fails to support the big men!!
Dufty is currently not even ranked in the top 12 fullbacks in the NRL when rated by News experts only 2 Sundays ago
I'm sorry mickeylane but I can't take this one seriously. There's too much bias for ramsey here. I like the kid as well but he is no where near dufty as of right now.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Both Dufty and Ramsey get rag dolled when running the ball back. They look like they will be broken in half. Neither have any physicality about them.

We missed Dufty hard tonight. Sign this kid up and make him our permanent fullback for the next 2-3 years. Ramsay is a different player and doesn’t have that explosive X factor like Dufty..

Dufty is a St George junior and, on recent evidence, will not be re-signed but squeezed out a la Luciano Leilua, Jacob Host.

Latest posts