What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Maddragon99

Juniors
Ramsey played well tonight but he does not seem to have the explosive pace of Dufty. We needed Dufty tonight.
40mins is hardly sufficient sample size to judge anything. Also Ramsey is putting the team first by playing with ankle & rib injuries.

He’s much safer in defence particularly under the high ball & the run where he got knocked out was impressive. His passing game will develop over time.

thebigredv

First Grade
From what I saw from Ramsey at fullback last night I was pleased. It wasn't enough to say 'yep, he's our future fullback' and it certainly wasn't enough to write him off. I am keen to see more of him during Dufty's absence. If he goes good guns we should consider Dufty at 6 or bench for remainder of year.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Both Dufty and Ramsey get rag dolled when running the ball back. They look like they will be broken in half. Neither have any physicality about them.
Hang on, Dufty has 5 or 6 years of development on Ramsey. Ramsey will fill out whereas Dufty is as baulked up as he’ll ever be.

redv13

Bench
Everyone please take a deep breath and start looking at the facts when comparing Ramsay and Dufty....

Ramsay has the traits of a modern day fullback to succeed within the next year or 2 and become a top 8 fullback in the NRL if given the opportunity to grow his body and settle into his position.....

Comparisons
Ramsay
is fearless and safe in the air and Dufty is not
Ramsay
is safer under the high ball
Ramsay is tidier in the back when kicks come through -where Dufty has cost us 4 tries this year
Ramsay has a committed kick return Dufty does not
Ramsay
has explosive speed off the mark Dufty has as well
Ramsay
has a fantastic right food step which is extremely effective when attacking the line - Where Dufty is evasive and never challenges the line with his step
Ramsay is a better and more committed support player in the busy ruck where Dufty goes minutes avoiding the ruck sometimes for a whole half he fails to support the big men!!
Dufty is currently not even ranked in the top 12 fullbacks in the NRL when rated by News experts only 2 Sundays ago

So the plusses in my opinion weigh in favour of Ramsay as a long term FB...yes Dufty at the moment is responsible for say up to 60% of our scoring points but he also is not involved enough in a game to truely say that he is indispensable - he goes missing in big games and makes massive errors that are not forgiven by the big teams that lead to bleeding points...think recent Roosters game ..

The problem we all have though is that we all get excited when Dufty does his magical long passes and also support play to finish off a move on the odd occasion...the problem we all have and please correct me is that we have our hearts in our mouths every time
a bomb goes up,
a kick in the in goal area comes through or
when returning kicks knowing he will be smashed and sent back 5metres in the tackle
even his defence on the line is totally non existent

So the conundrum of Ramsay v Dufty is a non argument IMO and people that think Dufty is a solution at 5/8 I think are off in their thinking as a 5/8 is usually an effective kicker and decent defender - Dufty is neither so that potential move I think is off...

I do feel though no 14 could be a spot for him much in the old days like a Phil Blake, Benji now, Ewen Mcgrady (early in his career) where these types of players would come on and make a difference to a game...Dufty could float anywhere in the backline during his stints without being exposed too much...and allowing him to attack fatiguing defences during last 15 minutes of halves
Love Ramsey and his energy but he is FAR from being classed as safe under the high ball. Remember the Newcastle game?? He made about 4 errors in the 1 play. He’s had the wobbles under the high ball too don’t you worry. For now unless Hook has signed someone decent and is keeping it quiet we should be resigning Dufty for at least 2 years

Maddragon99

Juniors
Love Ramsey and his energy but he is FAR from being classed as safe under the high ball. Remember the Newcastle game?? He made about 4 errors in the 1 play. He’s had the wobbles under the high ball too don’t you worry. For now unless Hook has signed someone decent and is keeping it quiet we should be resigning Dufty for at least 2 years
I posted earlier 40mins not sufficient to be making any judgments. Also Ramsey is playing busted putting the team first given how short we are in the backline right now.

Ramsey will have 4-5 weeks to show us what he can do I’d rather wait & see before good coin is spent extending Dufty or trying to sign Hynes or Kennedy

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I feel for Dufty. At 25 he is entering the prime of his NRL career yet 25 is still quite young in the greater scheme of things.

For all but this year, he has played under the direction of The Bald One who, in his inimitable leadership style, would publicly announce that Lomax, Mann, Norman, Happy Dragon, etc would be a better option at no. 1.

Some 20-somethings can cope with that lack of faith - indeed, some don't have to - but there are others for whom that kind of treatment breeds insecurity, doubt and self-fulfilling failure.

In my opinion he brings a skillset that very few others at the club have. With that comes deficiencies and so it's up to the coaching staff whether they are looking for safe and staid or dangerous and dynamic.

In many respects he reminds me of Jamie Soward - another player of smaller build and moments of individual brilliance. Under Bennett he became a premiership winner - under Hook he was discarded.

Perhaps this comparison doesn't bode well for Dufty but I wouldnt be at all surprised if his game took off under the right technical and mental stewardship.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
I feel for Dufty. At 25 he is entering the prime of his NRL career yet 25 is still quite young in the greater scheme of things.

For all but this year, he has played under the direction of The Bald One who, in his inimitable leadership style, would publicly announce that Lomax, Mann, Norman, Happy Dragon, etc would be a better option at no. 1.

Some 20-somethings can cope with that lack of faith - indeed, some don't have to - but there are others for whom that kind of treatment breeds insecurity, doubt and self-fulfilling failure.

In my opinion he brings a skillset that very few others at the club have. With that comes deficiencies and so it's up to the coaching staff whether they are looking for safe and staid or dangerous and dynamic.

In many respects he reminds me of Jamie Soward - another player of smaller build and moments of individual brilliance. Under Bennett he became a premiership winner - under Hook he was discarded.

Perhaps this comparison doesn't bode well for Dufty but I wouldnt be at all surprised if his game took off under the right technical and mental stewardship.
I agree with the dynamic and dangerous by far the best attacker in the club so why would you discard him just work on his deficiencies i think the bloke deserves another contract.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Dufty would have scored a try under the sticks.

The Sharks bloke would have been swinging at thin air instead of Ramsey's head.

Get him back on the park and resign him.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Don't know however, if he was he would smocked it.
I have seen Dufty run down numerous times. Remis Smith easily got there that one time we can all remember for example. He actually scores very few long range tries. I’m not saying he wouldn’t have scored it but hypotheticals are always a waste of time.

SEAT 1A

Bench
I have seen Dufty run down numerous times. Remis Smith easily got there that one time we can all remember for example. He actually scores very few long range tries. I’m not saying he wouldn’t have scored it but hypotheticals are always a waste of time.

No worries Forbes.

Hypotheticals are a bit of fun and I thought he would have scored, that's all.

Latest posts