What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
I'm hoping for a prop, B Smith and Hynes. We have the cap for all three if we let Norman, JP, Dufty,Elis, McInnes and maybe one other go at the end of the year.

In 2022 we might have:
1. Sloan
2. Ramsey
3. Feagai
4. Lomax
5. Ramsey
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. New prop
9. B Smith
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Bird
13. De Belin

14. McCullough
15. Molo
16. Lawrie
17. Burns / Amone
Mate, we've signed a new prop for 2022 and beyond (Francis Molo). Brendan Smith has recommitted to the Strom. Stop beating the same drum.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Whilst it is true, no coach worth a grain of salt is going to bag his players as not up to it, especially if he has to run the same blokes out next week due to injury or suspension.

my 2 cents though, if he had balls he’d drop Norman. He needs the reality check of a few games in reggies
Yes understand not bagging players which means he can't even answer the reporters that we're missing 7 of our squad. We were doing ok early in the season until disaster struck with injuries and suspensions. Get all our team back we can make a late run.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Yes understand not bagging players which means he can't even answer the reporters that we're missing 7 of our squad. We were doing ok early in the season until disaster struck with injuries and suspensions. Get all our team back we can make a late run.
Exactly, it shocks me people are actually bagging the team right now. We are probably the most depleted team in the NRL. Fair enough we nearly beat the Sharks but they are playing absolutely rubbish footy. There are reserve grade squads that would probably beat us.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Exactly, it shocks me people are actually bagging the team right now. We are probably the most depleted team in the NRL. Fair enough we nearly beat the Sharks but they are playing absolutely rubbish footy. There are reserve grade squads that would probably beat us.

I am sick of hearing this as an excuse. We are not the most depleted team. Look up NRL injury list.

Broncos - 9 injured or suspended
Raiders - 10 injured or suspended
Dogs - 9 injured or suspended (and will be 10 when they suspend Hetherington)
Sharks - 9 injured or suspended
Titans - 8 injured or suspended
Manly -10 injured or suspended
Melbourne - 10 injured or suspended (and hopefully 11 if Kafusi gets done for tripping)
Knights - 10 injured or suspended
Cowboys - 8 injured or suspended
Roosters - 11 injured or suspended
Warriors - 7 injured or suspended
Dragons - 9 injured or suspended.

Parra, Penrith, Souths and Tigers are the only teams close to their full complement of players.

Gareth67

First Grade
I just hope Hook and Co are up with the times as what sort of players are needed as the game changes ....

Very good point Illusion , although I can understand why he bought McCullough - as a ball distributor , McGuire although in the twilight his career , stills offers some go forward to our pack , but not for 3 years as he simply will not be able to keep up the pace .

Still he has signed Molo from the Cowboys from next season and I do believe that he will show a number of other players the door at the appropriate time . At the beginning of next year we could very well begin the on the right foot and continue that way throughout the entire season - hopefully .

Last edited:
I’m a fan of Matt Dufty & will be sad to see him depart. Sure he has some deficiencies, but he’s an excitement machine for the Dragons and has been my favourite player for the last few lean years of dribble attack.
Can you imagine how good he would be in a team like the Storm or Panthers, backing up with his acceleration & pace.
I feel sorry for the young man, being previously coached by the Peanut McJetski. How can you fly like an Eagle when your surrounded with Turkeys.
I’d still rather have a small half arsed fullback with blinding speed, than a big lazy full arsed 5/8 with no heart to run in a forward direction.

Haha.
Nice words Coffs.
I love your final paragraph.
Exactly how I feel - but you’ve said it better.

thebigredv

First Grade
I am sick of hearing this as an excuse. We are not the most depleted team. Look up NRL injury list.

Melbourne - 10 injured or suspended (and hopefully 11 if Kafusi gets done for tripping)

Parra, Penrith, Souths and Tigers are the only teams close to their full complement of players.

That they can't rise above it is pretty hopeless, I agree. I mean we are talking Tigers twice and Sharks. One of those games would have been necessary. We love excuses at this club. We are also ok with losing.

Yep its all an Illusion......

Cold hearted orb who rules the night.
Removes the colours from our sight.
Red is grey and yellow white.
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion.

SOURCE: Moody Blues. Days of Future Passed album. Circa 1967.

This Dufty decision pains me.
Perhaps Hook is an illusion?
Unless he hooks his buddy Corey.

Its like Hook is channeling “our former coach’s” attitude to Lafai and Aiken.

Maybe I should light the incense sticks, put my kaftan on and set the moody blues to repeat...
It was the 60s man..

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

I’m not talking in terms of sheer numbers. I’m talking who we can put on the park. Melbourne by your definition have the most and they still have the Fox, Cheese, Hynes, Kaufusi, NAS to name a few. We are putting Beale on the park, Jayden Hunt. Raiders lose Charnz and have Aekins, they lose Hodgson and get Starling. And don’t even get me started on the Rorters. We have a weak squad that is severely depleted. Other teams replacements are better than our starters, this is not Hooks fault and won’t be fixed overnight. Looking at all the teams this weekend bar the bulldogs I think outs is the weakest. Our origin players are well past origin except maybe Hunt and Sims if the teams were injury hit. Norman should never have played it.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
That they can't rise above it is pretty hopeless, I agree. I mean we are talking Tigers twice and Sharks. One of those games would have been necessary. We love excuses at this club. We are also ok with losing.
So what are you going to do about it? Do you think complaining on here is going suddenly get Bellamy at the club and a new squad? There is a massive difference between being ok with losing and being a realist.

True_Believer

Juniors
I’m not talking in terms of sheer numbers. I’m talking who we can put on the park. Melbourne by your definition have the most and they still have the Fox, Cheese, Hynes, Kaufusi, NAS to name a few. We are putting Beale on the park, Jayden Hunt. Raiders lose Charnz and have Aekins, they lose Hodgson and get Starling. And don’t even get me started on the Rorters. We have a weak squad that is severely depleted. Other teams replacements are better than our starters, this is not Hooks fault and won’t be fixed overnight. Looking at all the teams this weekend bar the bulldogs I think outs is the weakest. Our origin players are well past origin except maybe Hunt and Sims if the teams were injury hit. Norman should never have played it.

This is spot on. This is what people aren't seeing. Before this season it was obvious we didn't have the depth to cover any injuries and may people on here agreed we were thin on the ground. Now those injuries and suspensions have hit, there's complaining that we aren't performing. WTF?

It's not an excuse, it's reality. Once you take one NRL quality player out of our team, we don't have another waiting in the wings to replace him. That's the reality of it. Unlike other teams, who have been building depth for a number of seasons now, we are in a position with a new coach who is trying to turn that around. How anybody could expect that to have been resolved after 3 months is kidding themselves.

Numbers mean nothing when you just throw them out there without understanding what actually makes up those numbers.

On a separate note, as for Norman, yes, he needs some time on the sideline. But given Hooks reluctance to put Clune in, I'd guess that he sees Sullivan as a better option and has been biding his time until he is ready.

blacksafake

First Grade
:100:

blacksafake

First Grade
This is spot on. This is what people aren't seeing. Before this season it was obvious we didn't have the depth to cover any injuries and may people on here agreed we were thin on the ground. Now those injuries and suspensions have hit, there's complaining that we aren't performing. WTF?

It's not an excuse, it's reality. Once you take one NRL quality player out of our team, we don't have another waiting in the wings to replace him. That's the reality of it. Unlike other teams, who have been building depth for a number of seasons now, we are in a position with a new coach who is trying to turn that around. How anybody could expect that to have been resolved after 3 months is kidding themselves.

Numbers mean nothing when you just throw them out there without understanding what actually makes up those numbers.

On a separate note, as for Norman, yes, he needs some time on the sideline. But given Hooks reluctance to put Clune in, I'd guess that he sees Sullivan as a better option and has been biding his time until he is ready.
Good post

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

I really don't get what point you are trying to make. Are you saying we should accept poor performances because we have players out? Or are you saying we should accept poor performances because we have a poor roster? I'm saying you can't use the fact that our club has players out as an excuse for poor performance, because every club has players out. I don't know why some clubs handle this better than us. More salary cap? Better roster management? Better integration of Firsts and Reserves at training? Senior players who show more leadership? I don't know. That game against the Tigers we were totally un-competitive. But our spine was mostly intact, and we still had our best forwards on the park. Granted it wasn't our best back-line but the team shouldn't be immune from criticism just because players are out. If Melbourne and Roosters go OK with players out, we should be able to as well.

Getting back to the issue of Matt Dufty and what this thread is supposed to be about, if we have a weak roster then surely the thing to do is NOT get rid of one of our established first grade players.

boardlumps62

Juniors
I really don't get what point you are trying to make. Are you saying we should accept poor performances because we have players out? Or are you saying we should accept poor performances because we have a poor roster? I'm saying you can't use the fact that our club has players out as an excuse for poor performance, because every club has players out. I don't know why some clubs handle this better than us. More salary cap? Better roster management? Better integration of Firsts and Reserves at training? Senior players who show more leadership? I don't know. That game against the Tigers we were totally un-competitive. But our spine was mostly intact, and we still had our best forwards on the park. Granted it wasn't our best back-line but the team shouldn't be immune from criticism just because players are out. If Melbourne and Roosters go OK with players out, we should be able to as well.

Getting back to the issue of Matt Dufty and what this thread is supposed to be about, if we have a weak roster then surely the thing to do is NOT get rid of one of our established first grade players.
I like the last sentence. Unless he is a disruptive but when you see him with JDB and Lomax makes me think they are all mates and get on.

Illusion

Bench

Well said mate , its the decisions made , we are poor very poor in attack and defense and they want to get rid of a player that has X factor written all over him and don't know how or where to use him ..... For me mate you win this hands down ..... I can see Norman getting an extension here , Duff gets released that will confirm your comments ......

BLM01

First Grade

I think the point is quite clear.
All you say is correct and unacceptable. But all of this was set up prior to 2021 and our club was lucky we did not have the missing list toll that we have now in prior years or results (if possible) would have been even worse.
We have a new coach that cant turn what has gone before him in 1 year. That includes not only player roster management but our spending and balance of our cap was a mess. And dont get me started about on field culture. It was individual stuff.

The results we have had this year (some good, some poor) had to be expected and yes some unacceptable but we all need unfortunately what little patience is left...more of it.
+ We have lost 6 out of last 7, yet still find ourselves finally drop out of the 8
Look at other clubs below us and whilst we dont like it, there are other teams doing worse

I get we all want to be like the Top 5/6 clubs of the comp and consistent but we are in a "rebuild" process.
Yes I can hear everyone fuming...not that word again, but our prior rebuilds were just lip service and never addressed and handled properly, bandaiding deeper cracks.
I believe the club are heading in the right direction, making tough calls etc with vision. All many on here see is short sightedness, we cant let our best attacking weapon go, what about the rest of the game.
That is the shortsightedness that got us into this mess. ,
experienced peoiple that watch and see all of the squad every day know more

Look at Penrith, how many years did they take!!!
The current pessimism is I understand carried on from years of frustration but is way over the top based on what steps we need to take to reach getting the right squad to really compete.
We first have to achieve being able to attract the right players again and that is a big mountain to climb

We just need this year to focus on achieving what our club has failed to do over the past 8 years. Play with effort as a team for 80 mins each week. For me so far this year they are achieving that. The wins will come, but not consistently ATM
Now Hook may not be the man at the end of the day who gets the job done, but whoever it is has to try the same thing

Last edited:

slippery5

Juniors

Clune, who can be a productive play maker at times, is very pedestrian & a door mat at best.